Notices

Old 04-21-2023, 03:20 PM   #1
BBouy
BBouy began at the beginning.

Device: MacBook ProM1 Max, iPad Pro 4th G, iPhone 13 Pro Max
Problem running plugins on MacOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
No clue. Not nearly enough info to debug.
What can I do to give enough debug data? I installed the ZIP from Github and when I try to go to "Plugins" and then I click on:

Plugins --> Input --> DOCXImport

Launcher: missing or incorrect paths passed in
BBouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 06:17 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What version of MacOS? What version of the plugin? What version of Sigil (and where did you download/install Sigil from)? Are you using the bundled Python that comes with Sigil for plugins, or an external Python? If the latter, what version of Python?

If you installed Sigil from MacPorts, your Sigil plugin functionality will probably be very limited (if not completely nonexistent).
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2023, 08:15 AM   #3
BBouy

||*DiapDealer

Sigil
Version: 1.9.30
Loaded Qt: 5.12.9
DL from https://sigil-ebook.com/sigil/download/

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021)
Apple M1 Max
macOS Monterey 12.6.1 (21G217)

Python
Python 3.11.3
Installed with homebrew
Path is set manually --> Sigil/Preferences/Plugins --> Path to Interpreter Executable --> /usr/bin/python3

Plugin DOCXImport
Version 0.3.0
Source: https://github.com/dougmassay/docximport-sigil-plugin
Old 04-22-2023, 08:28 AM   #4
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Our version of Sigil for macOS comes with a proper embedded python3. Using third party distributors of Sigil is always a question as to whether they have properly embedded everything they should have in their builds (not to mention what unwanted extras they may have packaged with it).

Simply check the box to use the Bundled Python and do not use external pythons that are missing required python modules.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-22-2023 at 09:39 AM.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:39 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep. My plugin needs the modules that are pre-installed in Sigil's bundled Python. So either check the "Use bundled python" box in Sigil's preferences, or alternatively install all the extra modules that Sigil's plugin framework (and most plugins) expect to be present in your external python. The former is much easier.
Advert
Old 04-22-2023, 10:04 AM   #6
BBouy

||*DiapDealer

I tried it before this way. Unfortunately, exactly that did not work. So I adjusted the path myself and that didn't work either.

||*KevinH

I think the tip with LibreOffice was the spark I was missing. I was able to read in my docx file there and created an Epub_2 format from there.

It's not perfect by a long shot, but it's a good foundation. Since it can be opened in Sigil, without the problems described before. So that I am now able to understand the structure and make me now once the trouble to adapt the TOC correctly and to bring the rest in clean HTML, or XML.

After that I can cleanly manage 2 versions. One with Apple Pages to sell PDF and Epub through my own site.

And a version managed in Sigil that I can send to the various online stores.

I hope this will help others who are facing the same problem.

Thank you all for your help!
Old 04-22-2023, 10:39 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

For macOS, for our official builds, you should always check the use bundled python interpreter box as it has the required additional python modules that Sigil plugins need.

So please try that again and let us know any exact error messages so that we can track down any remaining possible issues on M1 M2 machines as the embedded python works perfectly on intel based macos machines.
Old 04-22-2023, 02:27 PM   #8
BBouy

I will try to do this. How?

https://7.ly/asNt0
Old 04-22-2023, 04:34 PM   #9
KevinH
Sigil Developer

That is strange. That error message actually comes from Sigil itself, not the plugin. It validates all of the paths/info passed to the plugin itself.

There is no reason for that to fail unless the install is literally missing pieces or the python code itself is missing permissions to actually execute on M1/M2 machines.

Or perhaps you have renamed the plugin folder somehow or renamed the plugin before installing it?

The thing is that is pure python (.py) code that should run on any platform.

Are you 100% sure you have actually downloaded and installed Sigil directly from our github release page and not from someplace else?

Please look at the About Sigil page. What is the exact Build date and time?

Where are you keeping the Sigil.app application? Is it in /Applications or someplace else?

Something is very broken just for plugins but working for the embedded python otherwise Sigil would fail at startup.

This is very strange.

Perhaps Apple in its push for security has prevented py code from being run from inside the Sigil.app? Or perhaps its permissions are messed up.

Unfortunately, I do not yet own a M1/M2 build machine as I just bought a new MacBook Pro i7 intel box literally days before they announced the move to Apple Silicon.

But no one else has reported any issue running plugins, so I doubt it is that.

Last edited by KevinH; 04-22-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 05:55 PM   #10
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
I just tested on M2 Mac Mini running Ventura. No problems with DocXImport plugin (or any other plugin I've tried)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
... Unfortunately, I do not yet own a M1/M2 build machine ... But no one else has reported any issue running plugins, so I doubt it is that.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 06:02 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Anybody mind if I move the last several posts into a new thread in the Sigil Forum? It's clearly not an individual plugin issue, and has little to do with the original topic either.

EDIT: I hope no one minded, because I went ahead and did it without waiting for answers.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 04-22-2023 at 06:09 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 06:26 PM   #12
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by odamizu View Post
I just tested on M2 Mac Mini running Ventura. No problems with DocXImport plugin (or any other plugin I've tried)
That's good to know!

So the issue must be something specific to the OP's specific setup.
Old 04-23-2023, 04:26 AM   #13
BBouy

||*KevinH

I downloaded Sigil from the Sigil Website. And it is located in the "Applications" folder. Nothing is renamed.

I also not renamed the plugin. It's downloaded from Github an I just added the ZIP file as it is inside the plugin section.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-sigil-#1.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	201220   Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-sigil-#2.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	493.6 KB
ID:	201221  
Old 04-23-2023, 04:31 AM   #14
BBouy

Stop.. Strange thing.

The first time I uploaded the ZIP from Github and this fails, like shown before.

I tried again with the ZIP you can download from this forum. And now it seems to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot-sigil-#3.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	678.6 KB
ID:	201222  
Old 04-23-2023, 04:39 AM   #15
BBouy

If I UNZIP the file from Github, the folder is named

docximport-sigil-plugin-master

The folder from the forum is named

DOCXImport

You referred a lot to the naming. Does that have anything to do with it? I added both the same, via Preferences >> Plugins >> Add Plugin.