Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-14-2023, 02:54 PM   #1
Solveigh
Solveigh began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 * Kindle Paperwhite 4 * Kindle Oasis 3
Recently read not working - Fix wrong date without WIFI (Jailbreak)?

Hi Mobilereaders,

Unfortunately, my Oasis was lying around with a drained battery lately. I don't know how long exactly, but after I plugged it in, it started charging immediately. So I guess, it could not have been too long.

However, since recharging, the book recently read no longer appears first. I have to scroll through half the library to find it and continue reading. It does remember the last positions in my books, though, which seems strange to me. Sort order is correctly set to "Recent".

Please correct me if this is wrong, but according to Google, the issue is due to a wrong date setting, which could be be fixed via WiFi sync. However, I have an older firmware (5.14.2) installed and thus want to avoid automatic OTA updates.

I have successfully jailbroken my Kindle today, which I had planned to do for a while anyway. Is there any way to fix the error on a jailbroken device without WiFi? I could not find anything on the subject and would be happy about every hint.
Solveigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 03:46 PM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Yes, you can set the date and time on any jailbroken Kindle. Most kindles (even if time can be changed) after reset to 1970 by flat battery need Internet via WiFi or Mobile connection to fix the date. Can take nearly a day. A stupid decision likely to do with borrowed books.

I don't know how to set the time and date on a jail broken Kindle, but I suspect it's a matter of installing USB Networking and then a terminal command maybe something like
date -d "2023-04-14 09:10:15"
or
date --set="20230414 05:30"

yyyy mm dd hh mm

There are instructions for USB Networking for Kindles that have jail break on this forum.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-15-2023, 09:46 AM   #3
Solveigh

Thank you, Quoth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
to 1970 by flat battery
Interesting: mine claims it's October 2019, at least that's what it shows me when I create a note.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
I suspect it's a matter of installing USB Networking and then a terminal command
That seems to be the right keyword, thanks. I'm not familiar with Shell commands myself, but my husband is; so he could help me. Otherwise, I would have stopped reading after the USBNetwork's ReadMe.txt:

Quote:
If you don't know what that means, then you probably shouldn't even be trying to use this.

If you don't understand half of what's written here, see the previous paragraph.
Two questions left before asking my better half for assistance. I couldn't find the answers in the related thread or on the wiki page.
  1. The package includes two different installer .bin files: one for pw2_and_up and one for touch_pw. The "touch_pw" version is the right one for both, KOA3 and PW 10th Gen? The "and up" makes me hesitate, and I own both devices.
  2. Is there any risk that the Kindle could use the PC's internet connection and update the firmware while being connected that way?

Last edited by Solveigh; 04-15-2023 at 09:50 AM.
Old 04-15-2023, 12:21 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
1: I don't know. I only looked at installing it on my jail Broken Kindle DXG.
2: No, because by default your PC isn't acting as a Bridge or a Router or a Proxy, assuming that the Kindle would even try to use the not normally active USB Network stack for Internet, which it probably doesn't anyway. The fact that the date doesn't automatically update when USB Networking is added is a clue

Quote:
mine claims it's October 2019, at least that's what it shows me when I create a note.
Maybe that model reverts to original release date, which makes more sense, though why they don't:
a) Use last file stamp date
or even better
b) Let you set date to any date via GUI, or any date after last file stamp rather than only from WiFi or Mobile is a mystery.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-15-2023 at 12:26 PM.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 02:16 PM   #5
Solveigh

Thank you.

I'm feeling kind of discouraged right now. Especially as I have noticed that my KOA3 displays a completely different Aa menu since the jailbreak yesterday, one that I have never seen before. Next to "Aa", there's now "Page Display", and the tabs and menu entries are also different than before. According to Google, this is an older menu. The strange thing: the firmware is still the same as before (5.12.4), and I haven't done anything except jailbreak, hotfix, MRInstaller and KUAL. No other packages installed.
On the jailbroken Paperwhite, everything still looks the same as before.

Maybe I should leave it and resign myself to WiFi and update.
Advert
Old 04-16-2023, 12:28 PM   #6
Solveigh

Date successfully fixed without WiFi

Hi,

I just want to let you know that I could fix the issue successfully without WiFi.

I installed the USBNetwork Hack from the Snapshot thread. The "pw2 and up" installer .bin is the right one for both KOA3 and PW4.
Then I proceeded as mentioned in this thread. UTC command delivered a wrong date, but with the local time command, it worked.

Thanks for helping me by delivering the right keyword (USBNetwork)!

Now I just have to see how to get my usual menus back. Not only the Aa menu is different but also the other settings. The night mode, for example, is completely missing.

Have there been multiple versions of KOA3's 5.12.4? Unfortunately, I had only noted the version itself before the factory reset and jailbreak, but not the multi-digit code in the brackets behind it. Thought that would be enough.

Last edited by Solveigh; 04-16-2023 at 12:42 PM.
Old 04-22-2023, 09:19 AM   #7
RuggedPineapple
RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RuggedPineapple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solveigh View Post
Interesting: mine claims it's October 2019, at least that's what it shows me when I create a note.
Then its an issue of the date being set wrong, not it being unset Linux uses Unix time, which specifies time in the number of seconds from January 1st, 1970. If it resets to 0 then its back to the cold war! What actually seems to have happened then is it stopped counting those seconds for a few years.
RuggedPineapple is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
change date, fix date, jailbreak, kindle, recent reads