Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 05-20-2022, 11:39 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
Sporadic AZW format books do not open/convert

I've looked through the threads and tried to Download to USB from Manage your Assets, but it still turns out the same. Some- say 6 out of 20 KU books -download from Kindle for PC v1.17 as .azw format. These books do not open/convert in Calibre. Not even the one I downloaded from Amazon directly to the PC. It does not even open in the Kindle for PC app, although it does open when I download it to the Kindle eReader. The Calibre error message is that the book is DRM protected.

I have had some success when I delete the book from KU, re-add it, and then re-download it from PC Kindle app. Sometimes comes as .azw3 and opens. But not with all books.

I am using Calibre 3.39.1[64 bit] and Kindle for PC v 1.17 (does not update). Have been downloading for years, this started awhile ago, but seems to be affecting more books.

I appreciate any assistance!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2022, 02:22 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What operating system are you using? Your Calibre is rather out of date.

You will need the DeDRM plugin, but you may need to update Calibre for it to work. I'm not fully sure on this. You can get the DeDRM plugin for Calibre here.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2022, 01:13 AM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
I've looked through the threads and tried to Download to USB from Manage your Assets, but it still turns out the same. Some- say 6 out of 20 KU books -download from Kindle for PC v1.17 as .azw format. These books do not open/convert in Calibre. Not even the one I downloaded from Amazon directly to the PC. It does not even open in the Kindle for PC app, although it does open when I download it to the Kindle eReader. The Calibre error message is that the book is DRM protected.

I have had some success when I delete the book from KU, re-add it, and then re-download it from PC Kindle app. Sometimes comes as .azw3 and opens. But not with all books.

I am using Calibre 3.39.1[64 bit] and Kindle for PC v 1.17 (does not update). Have been downloading for years, this started awhile ago, but seems to be affecting more books.
A download using Download and Transfer via USB is tied to the serial number of the Kindle ereader used as the download target. That they will not open in Kindle for PC is not a surprise. You will need to enter the serial number of the Kinde ereader in the DeDRM plugin to have it work with those file.

OTOH, removing DRM from book loans is not a practice that Apprentices Alf and Harper condoned. My opinion is that KU books are loans not purchases.

Last edited by DNSB; 05-21-2022 at 01:19 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 02:02 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What operating system are you using? Your Calibre is rather out of date.
You will need the DeDRM plugin, but you may need to update Calibre for it to work. I'm not fully sure on this. You can get the DeDRM plugin for Calibre here.

https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools

I am using Windows 10 Home.
I tend not to upgrade unless something is not working for me ("If it ain't broke....") Calibre works great and I have installed the DeDRM years ago - no problems. Unless this problematic .azw (and some of the .azw do work fine) is a new encoding?
I would not go through the pain of upgrading everything unless certain that it would address this issue.

As it stands, it is not ideal, but I can live with it. Just thought that perhaps someone else had this happening? Or perhaps I have a wrong setting somewhere?
Old 05-21-2022, 02:43 AM   #5
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Just thought that perhaps someone else had this happening?
Yes, I recently came across a book that would not convert. The book I added before converted ok, the book I added after converted ok, but that middle book would not convert.

I made a report, but nothing really came of it and implies I did something wrong, but I have no idea what.
I had deleted and re-downloaded three times, each time the file was azw and is clearly shown in the log, so not really understanding the kfx issue he mentions...
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/issues/66
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2022, 05:40 AM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
No issues here with either Kindle for PC 1.17 or Download & Transfer. I haven't encountered a book that couldn't be deDRMed.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2022, 05:48 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am using Windows 10 Home.
I tend not to upgrade unless something is not working for me ("If it ain't broke....") Calibre works great and I have installed the DeDRM years ago - no problems. Unless this problematic .azw (and some of the .azw do work fine) is a new encoding?
I would not go through the pain of upgrading everything unless certain that it would address this issue.

As it stands, it is not ideal, but I can live with it. Just thought that perhaps someone else had this happening? Or perhaps I have a wrong setting somewhere?
Upgrading your Calibre and all the appropriate plugins would indeed address this issue as the DeDRM plugin would work. You are missing a lot of features that have been added since that obsolete version of Calibre that you are running.

The thing is, if you want your eBooks to be without DRM, you will have to upgrade Calibre.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:15 AM   #8
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Upgrading your Calibre and all the appropriate plugins would indeed address this issue as the DeDRM plugin would work. You are missing a lot of features that have been added since that obsolete version of Calibre that you are running.

The thing is, if you want your eBooks to be without DRM, you will have to upgrade Calibre.
OK - thanks, just not what I wanted to hear. Will I need to upgrade Python? I have Python version 2.7.16 installed, that I used to write some easy scripts. Is there any other software pgms that will present problems? I will, of course, read all the documentation before going ahead.

Thanks again for your advice!
Old 05-21-2022, 06:16 AM   #9
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No issues here with either Kindle for PC 1.17 or Download & Transfer. I haven't encountered a book that couldn't be deDRMed.
Perhaps it is about the CalibreDeDRM version? Please, what version of Calibre are you running?
Old 05-21-2022, 06:20 AM   #10
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
Yes, I recently came across a book that would not convert. The book I added before converted ok, the book I added after converted ok, but that middle book would not convert.

I made a report, but nothing really came of it and implies I did something wrong, but I have no idea what.
I had deleted and re-downloaded three times, each time the file was azw and is clearly shown in the log, so not really understanding the kfx issue he mentions...
https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools/issues/66
Don't think it is really a KFX issue cause doesn't create a directory nor anything else that is mentioned, and is azw. I had that happen with one book that I really wanted to convert for easier reading. I tried downloading a few times - no luck. Finally I just tried again a couple of days later and it worked! Can't figure out a pattern.

Am considering the Calibre upgrade - what version of Calibre are you running? Just trying to see if maybe you are also using an older version? I am just so lazy/cautious about upgrades. Takes me forever.
Old 05-21-2022, 06:26 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
OK - thanks, just not what I wanted to hear. Will I need to upgrade Python? I have Python version 2.7.16 installed, that I used to write some easy scripts. Is there any other software pgms that will present problems? I will, of course, read all the documentation before going ahead.

Thanks again for your advice!
Calibre 5 uses Python 3. So you might have to upgrade your Python if your code is run through Calibre. If not, then probably not.

Nothing else should present a problem. You most likely will have to upgrade some of your Calibre plugins. But Calibre will tell you what needs to be upgraded. It also means if you were to someday buy a new Reader, it would be supported.

With the current firmware for your Kobo, the current Calibre better supports your Kobo Clara HD
Old 05-21-2022, 07:44 AM   #12
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:

With the current firmware for your Kobo, the current Calibre better supports your Kobo Clara HD
Sold the Kobo years ago. I'd do it for the ease of downloading from Amazon.

Another question, if you don't mind: Is there a max recommended library size in the newer versions (or older for that matter) of Calibre? Some of my libraries are 15k-16k and actions can be sluggish. I realize that my laptop is also older and not the most RAM/speed - but just wondering if I am knocking up against a recommended size limit in Calibre? Or if a newer Calibre version would be speedier? Not a big deal, just wondering.
Thanks again!
Old 05-21-2022, 08:48 AM   #13
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Perhaps it is about the CalibreDeDRM version? Please, what version of Calibre are you running?
Calibre is 5.41 and deDRM is 7.0.0. I know there are much newer versions of the deDRM plugin, but so far have not needed to update.

As to the library size, I have about 25 000 books. No noticeable slowing down. I don't think there is a maximum size limit as far as Calibre is concerned, but of course there may be one depending on the processor and RAM of your computer and the size of your disk.
Old 05-21-2022, 08:50 AM   #14
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Don't think it is really a KFX issue cause doesn't create a directory nor anything else that is mentioned, and is azw. I had that happen with one book that I really wanted to convert for easier reading. I tried downloading a few times - no luck. Finally I just tried again a couple of days later and it worked! Can't figure out a pattern.
Restarting Calibre may help in the case the deDRM plugin seems not to have worked.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
rgeorg
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Restarting Calibre may help in the case the deDRM plugin seems not to have worked.

Thank you, and I appreciate the version # info in previous post.