Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-28-2016, 11:15 PM   #1
uviteru
uviteru began at the beginning.

Device: PW2, KV, K4
Screensaver Hack Doing Funny Things on a KV

I recently jailbroke (serial) my KV and installed the screensaver hack via KUAL with no problems. Now however, it seems to not want to process any new book covers. There are two in cache, and no matter which book I opened (and left open for quite a while) it would always go back to one of the two when I put it in sleep mode. I tried clearing my cache, but it didn't process anything and just showed the last screen I was on.

I then uninstalled the screensaver hack entirely, (rebooted) and then re-installed it (rebooted). When I reinstalled, it reprocessed a single book cover that was not the one I had opened, and then it wouldn't process anymore.

Can anyone offer any help? It's like it's stuck on this one book index for some reason. Any more information you need?? I don't have the serial connection in there anymore, so I can't provide the serial log, but if there is anything I can pull to help diagnose, please let me know.

Thanks!
uviteru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:55 AM   #2
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Have you tried a full restart? Every once in a while the SS hack gets stuck on a book cover on my K3W and restarting clears it up.

I also once had something strange happen with the SS hack: when I woke it up it switched book covers instead of returning to the book. All it would do is toggle between two book covers! A full reset cleared this up as well. Given this is a K3 I have launchpad installed hitting <shift><shift><R> was all it took to do so.

Dave
dhdurgee is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2016, 07:52 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Try:
First post of Screensaver Thread:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195474
Section titled:
Notes and Troublshooting
Open Spoiler
Second paragraph:
"If the cover mode seems to be behaving strangely ..."
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 08:50 AM   #4
uviteru

The full restart did clear out the 'showing last page' issue i had--thanks dhdurgee.

After going through multiple books (allowing at least 3 minutes for the cover to process) it appears that I got unlucky, and the next several books on my to-read list just happen to not play nice with the screensaver hack. Most of the older books in my library would actually process the covers, but these won't:

The Pale King: No
On Being Certain: No
American Fascism: No
Girl With Curious Hair: No
Beyond Belief: No

Is there any way to dig in and see why it won't process these covers? (any known issues or anything?) Now I'm curious...

@knc1 I did review the troubleshooting guide there, and everything seems normal relating to the suggestions there--it seems that it just so happened that the several books I was trying to open would not process their covers.
Old 01-29-2016, 09:07 AM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uviteru View Post
- - - -
@knc1 I did review the troubleshooting guide there, and everything seems normal relating to the suggestions there--it seems that it just so happened that the several books I was trying to open would not process their covers.
Yup -
that is in there also, probably the FAQ -
having a 'bad book' is very common.

Would have been my next suggestion if you had mentioned that the troubleshooting guide had not been any help.
My answers have to be based on what I can read in the posts.

Try Calibre on the books -
I don't use it, but a lot of people do.

- - - -

What e-book format are those 'failing' books in?
I checked for one and found it is available in PDF, which may not be compatible with the screensaver cover processing (since all it has is an image, not a cover).

Do you see cover thumbnails in the Kindle's book listing?

Last edited by knc1; 01-29-2016 at 09:17 AM.
Advert
Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 AM   #6
uviteru

I'll have to read up on the different formats, but they were all purchase in the kindle store and all show their covers in the library.

Looking at the files in finder, it looks like all the ones that aren't working are .kfx files. The ones that appear to work are .azw3. (don't know if that is helpful info)

I'll take a look at Calibre.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:57 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by uviteru View Post
I'll have to read up on the different formats, but they were all purchase in the kindle store and all show their covers in the library.

Looking at the files in finder, it looks like all the ones that aren't working are .kfx files. The ones that appear to work are .azw3. (don't know if that is helpful info)

I'll take a look at Calibre.
Whoot!
Out of date screensaver hack.

Only the version posted here understands .kfx:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=225030

And if it doesn't, report the problem in that thread so that NiLuJe will get the trouble report.
Old 01-29-2016, 11:12 AM   #8
uviteru

oh man. i pulled the one from the top of the screensavers thread instead of there.... well i'll be bookmarking that.

just tried it, and it works!

Thanks so much for the help.

Tags
kindle voyage, screensaver hack, wrong cover