Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 03:53 AM   #1
ivnvlp
ivnvlp began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Screen calibration

Hello,
I've just swapped the SD image of my Kobo Glo, using another one coming from another Kobo Glo.

Now I'm facing a problem: the device works but the text color is not uniform, some kind of gray instead of solid black. After some digging, I've discovered that each screen is calibrated (waveform) and tuned by the factory.

Now, I wonder where are the calibration datas stored and if I'll be able to fix my display problem. In other words, is it possible to update eink waveform and if so, how?

BTW: I read about a lot of people asking for the SD image. It's only me with this problem?

Last edited by ivnvlp; 09-11-2013 at 11:11 AM.
ivnvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #2
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivnvlp View Post
BTW: I read about a lot of people asking for the SD image. It's only me with this problem?
I did get an image for my Mini, but had no such problems, and everything worked great from the start.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #3
Teddy66
Teddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of lightTeddy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Hello,

No problem for me also.
Teddy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
ivnvlp
ivnvlp began at the beginning.

That's odd... if someone has a working GLO image, would be so kind as to share with me?

Last edited by ivnvlp; 09-11-2013 at 11:14 AM.
ivnvlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
The waveform is stored on the internal SD card. If you look at the upgrade script in /etc/init.d/ you can see where the waveform file is written, so if you had a waveform file you could update it.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-12-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Anak
Fanatic
Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinShort View Post
The waveform is stored on the internal SD card. If you look at the upgrade script in /etc/init.d/ you can see where the waveform file is written, so if you had a waveform file you could update it.
Does this mean that firmware has possibly a hidden "engineering menu" to recalibrate the white balance and/or touch screen?

My old bq Avant has an QEngineer hidden menu which can be accessed by pressing a combination of keys when starting up the device. Some settings can be changed: sound, touch screen calibration, page refreshes and more.
Anak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:04 PM   #7
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11&postcount=7

Is the waveform being set here? A re-calibration? Or just loading a factory generated definition?

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 09-12-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:59 PM   #8
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Does this mean that firmware has possibly a hidden "engineering menu" to recalibrate the white balance and/or touch screen?

My old bq Avant has an QEngineer hidden menu which can be accessed by pressing a combination of keys when starting up the device. Some settings can be changed: sound, touch screen calibration, page refreshes and more.
I haven't seen anything to indicate that such a menu exists on the Kobos, but I suppose it's possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...11&postcount=7

Is the waveform being set here? A re-calibration? Or just loading a factory generated definition?

Luck;
Ken
That is the code that will flash the waveform file if you have it, but giorgio was talking about u-boot in that post.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote