Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 06-07-2024, 04:55 AM   #1
paulrw
Enthusiast
paulrw began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle keyboard, Kindle Oasis, iPhone, iPad, PC
Calibre won't start (win10)

or rather starts but won't display. I have tried running as admin, and with plugins disabled, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling. As far as I am aware, Calibre was already running when this started, and there was nothing new on the computer, no new installs or changes. Alt tab to switch to Calibre shows a blank white window with the calibre title, but the window doesn't activate. I have also tried deleting the metadata.db file. Debug info attached, note
ApplicationPaletteChange event message continues to display every minute or two
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Calibre debug.png
Views:	46
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	208735  
paulrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 04:58 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Do you have the calibre system trayicon enabled?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2024, 11:42 AM   #3
paulrw
Enthusiast

No, not as far as I know - I have Calibre pinned to the task bar and just leave it there. Right clicking on the icon shows all the normal stuff, and when I imported a book using the link from a right click, the import seemed to work according to the debug screen. rather worryingly I notice that the debug screen now says "started up in 3.22 sec with 0 books". I am not sure at what point it lost track of the library - the library is still there I should say, as is the backup I took as soon as this started. For the sake of completeness I should also mention I have restarted the PC after reinstalling Calibre.
Old 06-07-2024, 07:07 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulrw View Post
or rather starts but won't display. I have tried running as admin, and with plugins disabled, as well as uninstalling and reinstalling. As far as I am aware, Calibre was already running when this started, and there was nothing new on the computer, no new installs or changes. Alt tab to switch to Calibre shows a blank white window with the calibre title, but the window doesn't activate. I have also tried deleting the metadata.db file. Debug info attached, note
ApplicationPaletteChange event message continues to display every minute or two
The presence of a metadata.db file IS what defines a folder (directory) as a calibre library

Quote:
No, not as far as I know - I have Calibre pinned to the task bar and just leave it there. Right clicking on the icon shows all the normal stuff,
I too run calibre from the task bar.

What 'normal stuff' - all I see when calibre is running is this:

Name:	Screenshot 2024-06-08 083701.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	208744

If it's not running there's no Close window

Quote:
and when I imported a book using the link from a right click, the import seemed to work according to the debug screen.
. . .
What link from which right click, AFAIK the calibre library manager doesn't maintain anything resembling a Most Recently used list

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2024, 01:37 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Its probably just offscreen as described in the FAQ: https://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq...ing-on-windows
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2024, 06:51 AM   #6
paulrw
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

What 'normal stuff' - all I see when calibre is running is this:
BR
What I see is shown below

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
What link from which right click, AFAIK the calibre library manager doesn't maintain anything resembling a Most Recently used list
BR
again, see attachment.

In fact, a repair to windows allowed me to reposition the widow onto the screen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Calibre.png
Views:	27
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	208804  
Old 06-11-2024, 06:20 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
What I see is shown below
I think I figured out why you get an MRU list on the calibre taskbar shortcut and I don't. You Add books by opening format files with calibre.exe (the library manager), whereas I've taken steps to prevent me doing that

Quote:
In fact, a repair to windows allowed me to reposition the widow onto the screen.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote