Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2022, 11:02 AM   #1
davidsmartin
davidsmartin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Calibre won't start

After I upgraded to calibre 6.6.1 it won't start. Nothing happens. I downloaded again and chose repair but that did not help. When I ran calibre debug I got the following but none of this means anything to me. Should I uninstall and revert to 6.6.0? Or is there a better solution?

Thanks,

David

C:\Users\David>calibre-debug -g
Python path configuration:
PYTHONHOME = (not set)
PYTHONPATH = (not set)
program name = 'C:\Program Files\Calibre2\calibre-debug.exe'
isolated = 1
environment = 0
user site = 0
import site = 1
sys._base_executable = 'C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2\\calibre-debug.exe'
sys.base_prefix = ''
sys.base_exec_prefix = ''
sys.platlibdir = 'lib'
sys.executable = 'C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2\\calibre-debug.exe'
sys.prefix = ''
sys.exec_prefix = ''
sys.path = [
]
Fatal Python error: init_fs_encoding: failed to get the Python codec of the filesystem encoding
Python runtime state: core initialized
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1027, in _find_and_load
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1006, in _find_and_load_unlocked
File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 688, in _load_unlocked
File "bypy-importer.py", line 275, in exec_module
File "bypy-importer.py", line 63, in get_module_code
ValueError: bad marshal data (unknown type code)

Extension modules: bypy_frozen_importer (total: 1)
davidsmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:10 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It indicates a corrupted install.

Uninstall, delete C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2
(or wherever you chose to install calibre). Then re-install. And
dont worry, uninstalling will not affect your books/settings.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2022, 12:13 PM   #3
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
It indicates a corrupted install.

Uninstall, delete C:\\Program Files\\Calibre2
(or wherever you chose to install calibre). Then re-install. And
dont worry, uninstalling will not affect your books/settings.
Addendum: Don't use any sort of 'clean uninstall' utility for this. That will go after your settings (and potentially your books). I nearly got caught by this myself.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 10-10-2022 at 12:17 PM.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 12:39 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You can also do a repair install. But before you do that, I suggest you download the installer again.

Last edited by JSWolf; 10-10-2022 at 12:41 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 01:11 PM   #5
davidsmartin
davidsmartin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Thanks. Running the repair reinstall did not help. Then I uninstalled and installed the previous version. Now it runs fine. I will update to 6.6.1 when I am confident that if it fails again I will have the time to uninstall and backtrack.

Dave
davidsmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2022, 01:19 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsmartin View Post
Thanks. Running the repair reinstall did not help. Then I uninstalled and installed the previous version. Now it runs fine. I will update to 6.6.1 when I am confident that if it fails again I will have the time to uninstall and backtrack.

Dave
Instead of going to 6.6.1 and if it doesn't work, going back, you'd be best to try to find out why 6.6.1 isn't working (that is if it doesn't work).
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote