Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-20-2021, 09:24 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Calibre won't start

I have been using version 5.14x64 for some time, and decided to update to the latest version today. After installing, it wouldn't open.

I uninstalled it and then reinstalled 5.14 and it opened. I upgraded to 5.16 (which I had in my download folder) and it wouldn't open. I uninstalled it and reinstalled 5.14 and it opened.

So it seems that any version, even the 32bit versions other than the 5.14 I had on my machine won't run after installation.

Any suggestions?
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2021, 09:51 PM   #2
Rellwood
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It seems that changing the old roming file to Calibre2 and then letting the new calibre run, pointing it towards my main library works. I guess the new version won't work with the old roming folder.

Then I copied over the files and folders, but realized that doing that stops Calibre from starting. I deleted what I copied over, then copied over just the files but nothing in the folders.

It opened and started populating the folders with the plugins and whatnot, but I had to copy over the cc icons. The "resources" folder is pretty much empty except the images.

WHy does the old Calibre folder have a lot of resources but not in the new version?

All my configurations for plugins and setting and tweaks are fine though. It's just weird that when I tried to copy over the files in the resource folder it prevented Calibre from running. Anyhow, I am leaving it alone.
Advert
Old 08-20-2021, 10:26 PM   #3
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
A bit more information would be nice. Was your 5.14 install a portable install? What do you mean by a "roming file"? The standard calibre installer will install in Program Files\Calibre2 for either the x64 version on x64 Windows or the x86 version on x86 Windows. If you did the x86 install on Windows x64, calibre will install itself into C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2. While calibre does install some files in Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\calibre, it does not install the calibre executables (the multitude of .exe files) or shortcuts to them.

Also note that installing the x64 and x86 versions at the same time does work as does installing the portable version with either or both. When I was playing with this, it led to some confusion about which version of calibre I was running from where.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 06:14 PM   #4
Rellwood

Hi, Sorry I didn't reply until now, I just am now seeing this.

1. Calibre 64x and 32x Windows (not portable)
2. C:\Users\Rellwood\AppData\Roaming\calibre

Whatever the executables were, they wouldn't run until I removed the old appdata roming folder and allowed Calibre to create a new one. Still like that.

I don't know why it is this way, but I did notice that in the older version the "resources" folder located in the appdata folder contained the same info that is now in the resources folder in the program folder. What is in the current app data resource folder is just a couple of items. I attached a screenshot of the current folder (Calibre) and the older folder that wouldn't allow Calibre to start (Calibre2).

Also, I confirmed that in my other user profiles (I have two other user profiles on my computer that I use to run other instances of Calibre) they won't open either. I haven't switched over the app data folder yet. So make of it what you will.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Resource Folder.png
Views:	93
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	189097