Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 04-05-2022, 05:48 PM   #16
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
This is a real stretch, but I wondered whether the reader might be "helpfully" treating any line that doesn't end with punctuation as a heading, with headings styled as bold text. There appear to be several lines like that in the doc, some being actual headers, others being image markers, and something that looks like a table.

Tough to know but it certainly seems like the easiest fix would be to convert it to something other than a plain text file.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 06:32 PM   #17
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
This is a real stretch, but I wondered whether the reader might be "helpfully" treating any line that doesn't end with punctuation as a heading, with headings styled as bold text. There appear to be several lines like that in the doc, some being actual headers, others being image markers, and something that looks like a table.

Tough to know but it certainly seems like the easiest fix would be to convert it to something other than a plain text file.
Ooooh, Phillip--that's an idea. Nothing else here really explains it. What he's loaded here clearly says "no bold" or any text formatting, for that matter.

@robi: are all the bold lines ones that end without any punctuation?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 04:59 AM   #18
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:

That's what I'm suggesting. A styled docx and then convert.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:00 AM   #19
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
The sample posted is plain text.

What styling the renderer on a Pocketbook ebook reader applies to that plain text is rather up to the renderer.

If you don't want the renderer to decide when text should be bold, don't use a plain text file, but an actual ebook format.
Exactly!
Old 04-06-2022, 05:24 AM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Have you checked if there's any HTML code such as <b>This is a bold line.</b>?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:12 AM   #21
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you checked if there's any HTML code such as <b>This is a bold line.</b>?
There isn't any HTML. The issue is that conversion or a renderer in some ereader models is automatically deciding some short lines of plain text are headings. By default headings are bold in many renderers.

So as has been pointed out: Make a styled docx and convert that to epub. Even direct plain text import & conversion in Calibre can result in headings being generated.
Old 04-06-2022, 03:01 PM   #22
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
Time for a comeback, just 10 years later :-)

I just tried to send a .txt file to my newly bought Pocketbook Color (6" screen).
I made 6 lines of plain text in Notepad++ and saved as text.
First line without punctuation, next with.
3rd line after jumping over a line (two CR's) with punctuation. Next line without and finally jumped (two CR's) without punctuation and the last with.

All lines come up without bold and all the "empty" lines were omitted, giving me 6 plain text lines in rows without any extra CR's or paragraphs.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #23
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So much for my theory!
Old 04-06-2022, 05:37 PM   #24
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
So much for my theory!
Well, there's some serious hinkiness here somewhere. Something, somewhere, is being missed or not relayed or...something.

Yes, I know, not one of my more precise statements, but, Watson, the game is afoot and we have no clues. Data, data data, we cannot make bricks without clay!

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 06:03 PM   #25
jmurphy
Zealot
jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmurphy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipaq
My WAG is that a Pocketbook 628 is interpreting the file as Markdown, but who knows.
Also do we know if a Pocketbook 628 and a Pocketbook Color interpret files exactly the same way?
jmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 08:36 PM   #26
phillipgessert
Addict

I thought that too but didn’t find any # or * in the doc, I don’t think. It could very well just be that the reader chokes on *.txt files period.
Old 04-07-2022, 12:25 AM   #27
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by robi1974 View Post
How can I remedy the issue? How can I prevent to open the Text Doc file on my e-reader without littered with bold text.
Simply save the website as an .epub file with the dotepub browser extension/bookmarklet.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 06:12 AM   #28
robi1974
robi1974 began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook
Dear all,

thanks for all your valuable support.
Doitsu: Ill test it with Dotepub and report back how is it going.
Just a recap: all 3 Pocket Books [different models] display the text differently. The 3-year-old 628 displays the least Bolds.
I hoped there is a fine adjustment feature in the Pocket Book itself where I am able to remove/edit the text.
If some of you know such Pocket Book model, please let me know
Thanks a million
Robert
robi1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2022, 12:47 PM   #29
Bikeridr
Information Acquirer
Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bikeridr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 International, Pocketbook Color
I downloaded both the attached files here and sent them to my Pocketbook Color. Apart for some strange characters (like Euro sign, 1/2 as fraction and a couple of French OE's) there were no bolds at all in either of the text files displayed on my PB Color, which indicated 10 pages of text on its page count.
Bikeridr is offline   Reply With Quote