Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #76
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reading an Audble book is not substitution for actually reading. Sorry, but I feel that suggestion just isnt a good replacement for actual reading.
Well, yes and no. You do actually read the book, it's not abridged in any way. But it does enter the brain via a different medium. I find I get different things out of a well read audio book than the text version, but I also get many of the same things.

I've read hundreds of books via Books on Tape and Audible in the last 30 years, while I've read thousands via pBooks and now eBooks. Some of those have overlapped each other, some haven't.

As an example: West With the Night by Beryl Markham. Read on BOT by Donada Peters (alias of Wanda McCadden). One of the all time best books ever, full stop. Read on Audible by Anna Field? Hopeless.

Same book, read as a normal book. Also one of the greatest books ever written in the English language. Evocative, descriptive, and very compelling. Not the same experience as the Donada Peters reading, but compelling on the same level.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #77
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Ahhh "licensed", well that explains their power. I would have imagined that they could buy e-books from Amazon (mobi) and B&N (epub) and then lend them to clients, with backing in the law. In other words, the law was there to protect lenders (library users) and not publishers.
It's more complicated than that. Libraries don't acually buy from Amazon or B&N; they contract with a 3d party (usually Overdrive in the US) to take care of the actual checking out process; what they pay OD is based on how many books they've licensed.

I was under the impression (based on reading about E-lib) that Swedish libraries use a similar service.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 04:15 PM   #78
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
I'm actually not sure exactly how Swedish libraries obtain e-books. I know they do pay authors a fee based on how many loans are made of p-books and for many years that was a huge part of Astrid Lindgren's (of Pippi Longstocking fame?) income.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #79
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Well, yes and no. You do actually read the book, it's not abridged in any way. But it does enter the brain via a different medium. I find I get different things out of a well read audio book than the text version, but I also get many of the same things.
For me it is a totally different experience and since I also cannot get into a book when listening it is not reading for me. I am not a visual reader and I suspect that that have something to do with my trouble to follow a reading.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 05:39 PM   #80
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
I'm actually not sure exactly how Swedish libraries obtain e-books. I know they do pay authors a fee based on how many loans are made of p-books and for many years that was a huge part of Astrid Lindgren's (of Pippi Longstocking fame?) income.
From elib I think. And they have to pay 20SEK ($3) for every loan. So there is a big debate going on now since that cost is probably 10 times or more the cost for a paper back loan.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #81
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Reading an Audble book is not substitution for actually reading. Sorry, but I feel that suggestion just isnt a good replacement for actual reading.
I feel that I get the same experience from a well narrated book as a book that I've read. Looking back I often have a hard time remembering which way I consumed the material as both affect my in much the same way. Over time the distinction becomes even less notable IME.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:31 AM   #82
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
For me it is a totally different experience and since I also cannot get into a book when listening it is not reading for me. I am not a visual reader and I suspect that that have something to do with my trouble to follow a reading.
I'm sure that's true for some people, as it gets processed by a different part of the brain. But for others, it's much the same net result. I certainly get details out of reading a book that I might well miss when listening to it. But often the reader's insights into the book actually help me where I might have missed something. And a well narrated book is a pleasure, as the example of the Donata Peters reading of West with the Night. (Honestly, I think I could listen to her read the London phone directory and enjoy it.)

I have read every one of the O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin books, and also listened to unabridged audio versions of them. I've enjoyed both, and learned from both. I actually listened to them first, and then went back and bought regular books of them after.

Other books I doubt I'd be able to read at all, but can enjoy as audio books. Probably because I can ignore the author getting boring or preachy or simply verbose more easily, somehow.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 11:48 AM   #83
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
I used to be the same way..... I tried listening to audiobooks about ten years ago, and hated it. Then I gave it another shot about a year ago, and found that it can really be a great experience, especially with an excellent narrator.

I now listen to audiobooks all the time while driving, and I find them great for helping me to fall asleep when I otherwise can't.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #84
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
I used to be the same way..... I tried listening to audiobooks about ten years ago, and hated it. Then I gave it another shot about a year ago, and found that it can really be a great experience, especially with an excellent narrator.

I now listen to audiobooks all the time while driving, and I find them great for helping me to fall asleep when I otherwise can't.
While...uhm, you're driving and can't sleep???
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 PM   #85
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
While...uhm, you're driving and can't sleep???
The comma makes all the difference.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 09:11 PM   #86
RWJ
Zealot
RWJ doesn't litterRWJ doesn't litter

Device: PRS-505
The more I think about this, the worse the taste it leaves. (To mangle the metaphor.)

I think I need to vote with my wallet. I'm going to do my best (aided, I admit, by lukewarm reviews) to ignore the new book. If I need to read it, I'll get it from the library. Mustn't reward this sort of publisher ass-hattery.
RWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:18 AM   #87
Adele Ward
Connoisseur
Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adele Ward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
We try to bring out our ebooks more or less at the same time as the print book. It really helps to be able to launch them together. Some authors don't want an ebook to be released, although none of our authors have said that. I suppose you can only tell if it was the author if they say openly that they don't want ebooks released quickly (or at all), or if the publisher usually has ebooks released faster.
Adele Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 07:46 AM   #88
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
On the topic of audiobooks and narrators, I recently listened to Tom Hiddleston's narration of the book "The Red Necklace", and he did an excellent job. If I ever found another audiobook narrated by him, I would definitely buy it.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote