Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #1
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Publisher Lunacy

Alright, I admit...I've generally been on the opposite side of this topic. I haven't thought it was unreasonable for publishers to take control of their pricing. I have not thought publishers were, in general, evil idiots.

However....Tor is just begging for the label of "a company too stupid to stay in business".

I'm a big fan of Orson Scott Card. Love particularly the Ender's Game series. New months and months ago that a new book, "Shadows in Flight" was going to be released. I PREORDERED the kindle book from Amazon. And today I went to my Kindle app....and no book.

I go to the website and see that the hardback was released today, but the kindle book isn't scheduled to be released for another YEAR! WHAT THE F!

I guarantee you that I'll have read an electronic version of that book well before next year. And unlike me, most people who are fans and are equally irate about this....they won't be paying for the book. Me, I'll just PRE-READ the book I PREORDERED and pay for it NEXT FEB.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Next to Stonetools you would be the last person I would have expected to start a thread with a title like that. Perhaps a wake up call? You can argue this issue all day, of course. But it is quite obvious that publishers have not yet fully embraced ebooks and seem to quietly hope they will go away.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #3
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Mr Card said that an "enhanced" ebook will be available in a few weeks for both Kindle and Nook.

Added: With illustrations but abridged.

The full ebook version in 2013.

Last edited by Fbone; 01-17-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 12:40 AM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Instead of pre-reading (I just love these creative euphemisms), you should boycott. Punish both the author and the publisher. Send a message.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 01:10 AM   #5
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard 3G,Huawei Ideos X3,Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Alright, I admit...I've generally been on the opposite side of this topic. I haven't thought it was unreasonable for publishers to take control of their pricing. I have not thought publishers were, in general, evil idiots.

However....Tor is just begging for the label of "a company too stupid to stay in business".

I'm a big fan of Orson Scott Card. Love particularly the Ender's Game series. New months and months ago that a new book, "Shadows in Flight" was going to be released. I PREORDERED the kindle book from Amazon. And today I went to my Kindle app....and no book.

I go to the website and see that the hardback was released today, but the kindle book isn't scheduled to be released for another YEAR! WHAT THE F!

I guarantee you that I'll have read an electronic version of that book well before next year. And unlike me, most people who are fans and are equally irate about this....they won't be paying for the book. Me, I'll just PRE-READ the book I PREORDERED and pay for it NEXT FEB.

Lee

Macmillan n. Useless luddite reactionary publisher.

Tor have been doing no ebook for years. Hardly surprising in their case.

You are certainly right in that for something this popular someone is likely to scan it.
Blue Tyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-18-2012, 02:54 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
@leebase
When you have pre-read it I hope you'll inform us. Kind of curious how long it will take.
I have "pre-read" only one book in my life. Dan Brown's "The DaVinci Code" and the only reason for that was that they didn't release the hard cover version in Sweden (deemed too expensive) but decided to wait for the paperback. Hence trying to find it online I actually discovered a PDF version of it that I downloaded and read on the laptop screen. This was pre-Kindle (for me) and it was not a pleasant experience reading on the laptop.
I remember being surprised how fast it was available, and since I could download it for free I couldn't really figure out how pirates where making money off of it.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Publishers are very slow to face the new reality. Their support for Overdrive lending is crumbling, and they are in general less than enthusiastic about EBooks. DRM is ineffective, and I expect will continue to be so except perhaps for short periods before new DRM systems and changes are hacked. All that will probably be achieved by releasing the EBook much later (or not at all) is Pirates (and probably some frustrated ordinary readers) will be put to the trouble of scanning a book and running it through OCR software, a little more work no doubt than simply stripping the DRM but hardly likely to stem the tide.

They would benefit from spending less time on lobbying for ever more draconian laws and more time in trying to come up with a viable business model.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:28 AM   #8
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
it'll probably be scanned and up on the pirate sites within the week.

like i've said before, they do everything in their power to keep you from legally getting the books then whine that pirates are stealing their money. who the bleep wants an "enhanced" version with pages lopped out of it?

how odd that they chose this book though, tor just put out a new dune with the ebook version released the same day. maybe this is something OSC wanted?
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 AM   #9
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain
Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blue Tyson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Or they realise that people actually don't want the new 'Dune' book in any format.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:57 AM   #10
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Tyson View Post
Or they realise that people actually don't want the new 'Dune' book in any format.
lol i have all the newer Dune books (in paper no less) but i haven't read a single one yet. i'll eventually get to them because i'm curious if they're genuinely bad or if its just a case of fanboys being nitpicky.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 04:59 AM   #11
Blue Tyson
Blue Captain

No, they are actually bad. If you have a fire that needs lighting.... ;-)

Also, Kevin J. Anderson is an orders of magnitude worse novelist than Frank Herbert. Writes some decent short stories - but the rest? Ugh.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
how odd that they chose this book though, tor just put out a new dune with the ebook version released the same day. maybe this is something OSC wanted?
It may have been released the same day, but in the UK at least, the e-book is more expensive (on Amazon, the e-book is £6.99, the paperback is £5.99. I haven't checked any other stores)

The new Dune books really aren't very good, but I may end up buying it eventually. I'm beginning to think that I may be an addict
avantman42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #13
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
lol i have all the newer Dune books (in paper no less) but i haven't read a single one yet. i'll eventually get to them because i'm curious if they're genuinely bad or if its just a case of fanboys being nitpicky.
I read Dune: the Sisterhood, and enjoyed it. Then again, I've enjoyed all of the series.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM   #14
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Mr Card said that an "enhanced" ebook will be available in a few weeks for both Kindle and Nook.

Added: With illustrations but abridged.

The full ebook version in 2013.
This is even more baffling: enhanced... AND abridged?? Aren't those terms kind of opposites? What could they possibly be thinking?

Oh I've got it. They are thinking that the fanboys will buy the HC AND the enhanced/abridged ebook now, AND the full ebook later?

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Ninjalawyer
Guru
Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ninjalawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nexus 7 (2013)
Here's an appropriate quote from Tim O'Reily on his online publishing experience:

Quote:
In my experience at O'Reilly, the losses due to piracy are far outweighed by the benefits of the free flow of information, which makes the world richer, and develops new markets for legitimate content. Most of the people who are downloading unauthorized copies of O'Reilly books would never have paid us for them anyway; meanwhile, hundreds of thousands of others are buying content from us, many of them in countries that we were never able to do business with when our products were not available in digital form.

History shows us, again and again, that frontiers are lawless places, but that as they get richer and more settled, they join in the rule of law. American publishing, now the largest publishing industry in the world, began with piracy.
Hopefully these things percolate through to other publishers within the next decade or so, and they realize they're just leaving money on the table by not putting out a digital version of their books.
Ninjalawyer is offline   Reply With Quote