Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-31-2014, 07:28 AM   #16
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhygell View Post

Noted! But will most probably not buy an iPad.
There is other tablets (windows and android) that have 4:3 aspect ratio.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 07:32 AM   #17
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
using a 10" tablet in landscape mode also gets you two side-by-side pages that are nearly 4:3 ratio on each page (the tablet itself is 16:10 or 16:9). that's how i use my Arc 10HD.
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 08:21 AM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
soworks only on models that have a light (glo, aura)
Not so... see Kobo Night Mode. Works on Mini and Touch as well
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 09:51 AM   #19
Rhygell
Rhygell began at the beginning.

Device: SGS2; Kobo Aura or H2O?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Quote:
using a 10" tablet in landscape mode also gets you two side-by-side pages that are nearly 4:3 ratio on each page (the tablet itself is 16:10 or 16:9). that's how i use my Arc 10HD.
Thanks! I'll keep these in mind when I shop for a new phone/tablet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Not so... see Kobo Night Mode. Works on Mini and Touch as well
Yeah! That really seals the deal - I'm going to get a Kobo.

It's just a matter of what model - Aura or Aura H2O?

Apart from the waterproofing, Capacitive vs IR, and size, what makes the H2O a better choice?
Rhygell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 11:13 AM   #20
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i'd get the Hd or H20 simply due to size of screen. i actually HATED the touch-screen on the normal 5" Aura. i much prefer my Glo (which i bought used)
Old 12-31-2014, 01:03 PM   #21
Rhygell

Quote:
i'd get the Hd or H20 simply due to size of screen. i actually HATED the touch-screen on the normal 5" Aura. i much prefer my Glo (which i bought used)
Ok, size, check.

Why do you hate the touchscreen - in what aspects? Would you say you'd prefer the Glo over the H2O?

Please excuse my nitpicking
Old 12-31-2014, 01:21 PM   #22
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
If your PDFs are DRM free and mostly text get Calibre and then it is simple to convert your PDFs to whatever form you need like epub or mobi.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2014, 02:17 PM   #23
burnafterreading
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhygell View Post
Ok, size, check.

Why do you hate the touchscreen - in what aspects? Would you say you'd prefer the Glo over the H2O?

Please excuse my nitpicking
i would have gotten the H2O if i had more money to burn, but (here in Canada) a new H2O is $180+tax, whereas i got a barely-used Glo+sleepcover for $70-notax. the dollar figure is what made me go for Glo.

at first i wished i could have justified the H2O due to the screen size, but when i found a tweak that removes the header/footer and made the screen more full of actual book-text, i was fully happy. it was one line of code in a config file, easy as pie.

if i hadn't found the used Glo+cover for that price, i likely would have planned on an H2O for the spring.

as for the Aura (6") screen, i don't know - it was laggy like a typical eink, but it attempted to respond to ALL of my touches "INSTANTLY". hmm, that doesn't make sense, does it? ok, the reader attempted to do something with every ever-so-slight finger touch that it managed to detect, but the refresh rate is so much slower than normal LED/tablet that it seemed like it was tripping over its own shoelaces and getting in the way more than it should be.

and for reading ebooks, i'm not sure how useful multi-touch really is. the tablet kills it for multi-touch and can read PDF files perfectly, so... i dunno, on that device, to me it's a solution looking for a problem (and being one!)

the 6" Aura was going for $100+tax but i think the store had a promo that also included a cover.

Last edited by burnafterreading; 12-31-2014 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:16 AM   #24
Rhygell

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
If your PDFs are DRM free and mostly text get Calibre and then it is simple to convert your PDFs to whatever form you need like epub or mobi.
Thanks! I'll do this.
Old 01-01-2015, 05:28 AM   #25
Rhygell

Quote:
i would have gotten the H2O if i had more money to burn, but (here in Canada) a new H2O is $180+tax, whereas i got a barely-used Glo+sleepcover for $70-notax. the dollar figure is what made me go for Glo.
Wow! A brand-new glo+cover here is ... 190 USD (tax-inc).

Quote:
... but when i found a tweak that removes the header/footer and made the screen more full of actual book-text, i was fully happy. it was one line of code in a config file, easy as pie.
This is for the Glo, yes?

Quote:
...it attempted to respond to ALL of my touches "INSTANTLY"...it seemed like it was tripping over its own shoelaces and getting in the way more than it should be.
the mental image makes me dizzy.

Quote:
and for reading ebooks, i'm not sure how useful multi-touch really is. the tablet kills it for multi-touch and can read PDF files perfectly, so... i dunno, on that device, to me it's a solution looking for a problem (and being one!)
That last line. Totally.

So ... I guess at this point it's just going to be a matter of availability. Thank you!
Old 01-01-2015, 06:12 AM   #26
burnafterreading
Groupie

full-screen mode on Kobo devices. works on my Glo, seems to work on many other devices too:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...kobo-ereaders/

EDIT:

i just checked my local used site. one Aura for $80, another for $100, one Glo (i think) for $60. and an Aura HD with chipped case (plastic body) for $100.

Last edited by burnafterreading; 01-01-2015 at 06:21 AM.
Old 01-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #27
Rhygell

Quote:
full-screen mode on Kobo devices. works on my Glo, seems to work on many other devices too:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/201...kobo-ereaders/

EDIT:

i just checked my local used site. one Aura for $80, another for $100, one Glo (i think) for $60. and an Aura HD with chipped case (plastic body) for $100.
thank you!