Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
Rhygell
Rhygell began at the beginning.

Device: SGS2; Kobo Aura or H2O?
Question 1st Ebook Reader - please help!

Hi everyone!

I know there's been a lot of posts like mine, but please bear with me.

I've been reading ebooks for years, but have never had a dedicated ebook reading device, so now I really really want one.

I would prefer:
  • An e-ink device. Will be used mostly for night-reading. Battery life of at least 50 hours (I think that's two weeks).
  • Capable of showing white text on black screen?
    (That's how I read on my phone, and it seems logical to read like that at night.)
  • To have all/most of my books on the device. Most of my books are fiction novels (around 8GB worth of PDFs, HTMLs, docs, txts, epubs).
    Why: I want to have them all on-board because I switch between series and read 2-3 books at the same time. ._.
  • Browser support - mostly for wiki and tvtropes. I might also want to use it for online manga streaming, but in case it's not possible, I'll stick to wiki surfing.
  • Something around 7" in size (I'm basing this off a tablet). I don't mind two-hand reading.
  • With warranty.

Other points to consider are:
  • I live in Southeast Asia.
  • I don't plan on buying books yet so diversity of store isn't a factor.
  • I don't know what I should think about the budget, since I don't know how much my location will increase the price. But I hope I won't have to pay more than 250 USD all-in.

I think that's all ...? Help greatly needed and much appreciated!
Rhygell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Most eink readers do not do white on black text. There is no glare from backbiting, so it isn't necessary.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Sounds like for your needs, the Kobo Aura H2O would be best.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Rhygell

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
Most eink readers do not do white on black text. There is no glare from backbiting, so it isn't necessary.
It still would be nice to have, though ...
Old 12-30-2014, 04:39 PM   #5
Rhygell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Sounds like for your needs, the Kobo Aura H2O would be best.
Thank you!

... I just checked a site that sells it and it says that it costs ~300 USD, without shipping.

http://www.ebookreaderphilippines.com/goods.php?id=141

That's almost twice the SRP.
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 04:56 PM   #6
burnafterreading
Groupie
burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.burnafterreading ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Arc7HD/10HD, smartphones
sounds like you want a tablet! :P with the exception of battery life, most of that would likely be better on a tablet.

kobo e-readers can do white-text-on-black-background. it's a hack, easy to do (but to my eyes doesn't look as nice as on a tablet). works only on models that have a light (glo, aura)
burnafterreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:37 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhygell View Post
  • An e-ink device. Will be used mostly for night-reading. Battery life of at least 50 hours (I think that's two weeks).
Totally agree. :-) Definitely a nice thing to have....

Quote:
  • Capable of showing white text on black screen?
    (That's how I read on my phone, and it seems logical to read like that at night.)
Here, I disagree. I tried, through various hacks, to use white on black (how all of my software is configured when possible), but it really doesn't work on eInk -- AND it's not really that necessary on eInk. The reason it's necessary on your phone is because the background is projecting light right into your eyes, but front-lit e-ink screens only reflect a little bit and it's not nearly as annoying.

Quote:
  • To have all/most of my books on the device. Most of my books are fiction novels (around 8GB worth of PDFs, HTMLs, docs, txts, epubs).
Why: I want to have them all on-board because I switch between series and read 2-3 books at the same time. ._.
Most eBook readers don't handle PDF very well... just putting that out right up front. PDF is a layout description, and most PDF files are designed for US Letter or A4 paper sizes, which is much larger than the typical 6" or 7" screen.

It sounds like you're leaning toward a device with massive storage. I personally am not a big fan of that and would encourage you to re-consider as it makes the device take longer to index/search/display your library, but that request can be handled.

Quote:
  • Browser support - mostly for wiki and tvtropes. I might also want to use it for online manga streaming, but in case it's not possible, I'll stick to wiki surfing.
eInk is NOT ideal for these tasks. The refresh is very slow and video would be a complete failure, even if it were possible (it is, through various hacks, etc, but not worth it) Also, few eInk based readers have good browsers since that's not their primary use case.

Quote:
  • Something around 7" in size (I'm basing this off a tablet). I don't mind two-hand reading.
Given your list I would point you toward the Kobo Aura HD or the Onyx T68.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 05:49 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhygell View Post
Thank you!

... I just checked a site that sells it and it says that it costs ~300 USD, without shipping.

http://www.ebookreaderphilippines.com/goods.php?id=141

That's almost twice the SRP.
That's BS. The Kobo Aura costs at most $179 USD (without a cover). That site is ripping people off.

You might be able to get an H2O on eBay. But you'd have to ask the seller if he'd be willing to ship to you if you paid for the shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kobo-Aura-H2O...item1c4af18dc4
Old 12-30-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
jehane
Book addict
jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jehane ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300/T1/Asus TF101
Quote:
Most eBook readers don't handle PDF very well
I know this is the standard line, but I read text pdfs all the time on my readers (all Sonys). There are occasional formatting problems, the biggest of which is that pages don't "wrap"*, but beyond that it's fine. Regular pdfs handle better than the ADE ones, but I have a feeling that the OP isn't reading ADE pdfs.

OP, you might like to check services such as Borderlinx or MyUS. You might also consider comparing prices in Australia now that the AUD is crashing.

* ie if a page ends halfway down a screen, it will leave blank space, unlike an epub, which will start the text from the next page
jehane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:47 PM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
I know this is the standard line, but I read text pdfs all the time on my readers (all Sonys). There are occasional formatting problems, the biggest of which is that pages don't "wrap"*, but beyond that it's fine. Regular pdfs handle better than the ADE ones, but I have a feeling that the OP isn't reading ADE pdfs.
The OP also mentioned .doc, .html and .txt formats. I really think a tablet would be better than an E-Ink device for this poster's needs. Maybe one of the E-Ink readers that is basically an Android tablet with reading applications?
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:50 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I think the aspect radio of an iPad is best for reading if one is using a tablet.
Old 12-31-2014, 03:25 AM   #12
Rhygell

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnafterreading View Post
sounds like you want a tablet! :P with the exception of battery life, most of that would likely be better on a tablet.
I do want a tablet, but for videos and games mostly, and phone/videocall functions. And colored reading.

Quote:
kobo e-readers can do white-text-on-black-background. it's a hack, easy to do (but to my eyes doesn't look as nice as on a tablet). works only on models that have a light (glo, aura)
I'll try it and see if I like it enough to stick with it ... If I get a Kobo.

Thank you!
Old 12-31-2014, 03:40 AM   #13
Rhygell

First of all, thanks for the point-by-point reply! I really appreciate it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
I tried, through various hacks, to use white on black (how all of my software is configured when possible), but it really doesn't work on eInk -- AND it's not really that necessary on eInk. The reason it's necessary on your phone is because the background is projecting light right into your eyes, but front-lit e-ink screens only reflect a little bit and it's not nearly as annoying.
I'll keep that in mind - I guess I have to see it physically before I admit defeat on this one. Sorry. >_<

Quote:
Most eBook readers don't handle PDF very well... just putting that out right up front. PDF is a layout description, and most PDF files are designed for US Letter or A4 paper sizes, which is much larger than the typical 6" or 7" screen.
Yup, I'm prepared to stick to reading on my phone/PC for PDFs if the reading experience totally sucks.

Quote:
... eInk is NOT ideal for these tasks. The refresh is very slow and video would be a complete failure, even if it were possible (it is, through various hacks, etc, but not worth it)...
But wiki and tvtropes are mostly text. I won't be viewing videos - not even pictures if online viewing of manga would make it super laggy.

Quote:
Given your list I would point you toward the Kobo Aura HD or the Onyx T68.
I don't think there will be support available for Onyx T68 in my country, so ...
Old 12-31-2014, 03:52 AM   #14
Rhygell

Quote:
That's BS. The Kobo Aura costs at most $179 USD (without a cover). That site is ripping people off.
The only legit Kobo I can get here is a Glo, and it would cost 190USD, with a cover. Is that ... realistic?

If it's not I guess it's just more fun in the Philippines. :/

Quote:
You might be able to get an H2O on eBay. But you'd have to ask the seller if he'd be willing to ship to you if you paid for the shipping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Kobo-Aura-H2O...item1c4af18dc4
I'm kind of wary with this because of the customs issues stuff. I pay for the shipping, and customs duties, so I might as well pay through the nose on that 300USD "deal". I don't know. I feel really sad about this.
Old 12-31-2014, 04:38 AM   #15
Rhygell

Going with Kobo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jehane View Post
OP, you might like to check services such as Borderlinx or MyUS. You might also consider comparing prices in Australia now that the AUD is crashing.
Thank you! MyUS looks promising. And I'll look into the Australian market as well. Leaning towards Kobo, still deciding if I should get Aura or Aura H2O. Maybe I can contact them directly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The OP also mentioned .doc, .html and .txt formats. I really think a tablet would be better than an E-Ink device for this poster's needs.
I think only a .doc can't be supported by a Kobo reader, so I'm probably choosing that.

Quote:
I think the aspect radio of an iPad is best for reading if one is using a tablet.
Noted! But will most probably not buy an iPad.