Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Propose an explanation: What's the "Q" on the Sony Reader?!

Has anyone noticed that the Sony Reader has a funny "Q-like" symbol on it at the bottom, and on the cover? Nobody seems to have mentioned it yet, probably because it's subtle in pictures. But it's actually pretty obvious in person.

It could simply be an odd "E" for eReader. It could be a Q for something like "Quality Reader". Or maybe it's a reference to Q, the technology guru in James Bond movies?!

Let's have a little fun with this. Here's my question... can anyone make up a great story for what the Q "should" mean?

(If you don't know what I mean, take a look at the bottom of this picture, for example... Picture with the "Q".)
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:33 PM   #2
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Bob,

I think it's stylish E - "E" Reader. It also looks like Greek "α" (Alpha). Sony released this year Alpha DSLR. The third possibility - it is "Q" - the leftover from Qualia products
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 02:44 PM   #3
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I starred at it for two minutes and couldn't decide. Is it a Q? Doesn't make much sense, does it? It could be an E, but it's not really an E either. Perhaps an E and an S intertwined, as in Sony E Reader. Well, I am clueless!

PS: I love your avatar, Slava. Did you draw it yourself?
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:48 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
LOL I have thought many times to myself..what a strange "e". My idea:

In electric engineering "Q" stands for electric charge. The Sony Reader uses e-ink technology that works with negative and positive electric charges (black & white). So Q-Reader stands for: Electric charge reader.

So what do you think?

Last edited by diabloNL; 09-28-2006 at 02:50 PM.
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #5
ElaHuguet
iLiad freak
ElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litterElaHuguet doesn't litter

Device: iRex iLiad
I think it looks like the e from IE, making some sort of reference to electronics and internet all in one, hehe.
ElaHuguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2006, 02:51 PM   #6
Slava
Addict
Slava doesn't litterSlava doesn't litter

Device: PRS-500 · iPad · K3
Thank you I wish I could draw like that.

The Reader image "screen captured" from the Manual (Page 19). Then I just painted it. I'm attaching both - template and avatar to this message.
Attached Files
File Type: zip eReader_Avatar_Kit.zip (22.2 KB, 424 views)

Last edited by Slava; 09-28-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:03 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Bob,

From what you have playing there I have to ask: Are you a John Ringo fan?

My story, its the brand logo for Sony's DRM'd ebooks. This ebook can be read on any device displaying this logo <insert eReader logo here>
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
From what you have playing there I have to ask: Are you a John Ringo fan?
Hmm, don't know what you mean, so must be a coincidence. I've never read him, but his name does keep coming up and being recommended to me, so I really should try one of his books! I'll have to find a good one to start with.
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:23 PM   #9
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Here's a bigger pic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	reader_thingy.GIF
Views:	480
Size:	3.4 KB
ID:	1624  
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:49 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I saw a trademark notice in the manual somewhere (sorry, don't remember precisely) about an "AE" trademark. Is that what this is supposed to be?

Bob, I'd recommend There Will Be Dragons, as good starting place.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 03:55 PM   #11
paulkbiba
Connoisseur
paulkbiba began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia e61i, iPhone
On the 4th of September, 2003, Aarlsbaad Sligfast, the new President of the Sony Ebook Division, was taking a short walk after lunch. As he strolled along the Fenback Heath (the Fenback Heath near Morrissey, not the other one by Ostramm) he was approached by a stranger dressed in a black suit with orange accents.

The stranger accosted Aarlsbaad and lifted his hand in a gesture that was either threatening or meant to ward off an attack by vultures. Aarlsbaad found this equivocal behavior to be most interesting - especially since the nearby birds were all goshawks, not vultures. Now why, thought Aarlsbaad would someone attempt to ward off vultures if none were present and further, if the stranger was not warding off vultures, why was the stranger threatening him?

Impelled by an overwhelming desire to have an answer to this question Aarlsbaad addressed the stranger thusly: Why, O Stranger, do you engage in equivocal warding/threatening behavior in the absence of vultures and the presence of goshawks?

The stranger replied at great length. Unfortunately because of his orange accents Aarlsbaad was unable to understand a word he said, except he could make out an utterance that sounded like "Q".

Later that year Aarlsbaad needed to name his new ebook reader. As there were no vultures around at the time the machine was to be named (and not even any goshawks) and as nobody was threatening him at the time the machine was to be named, he decided to add the stranger"s "Q" utterance to the beginning of the product name - so that whenever he looked at the machine he would be reminded of both the lack of vultures and threat at the time of its naming.

Such is the true explanation of the "Q" symbol affixed to the product.

Last edited by paulkbiba; 09-28-2006 at 04:18 PM.
paulkbiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Russell
I really should try one of his books! I'll have to find a good one to start with.
"March of Cambreadth" is a song he's effectively worked into three of his Universes so far. The first books of each are: "There Will Be Dragons", "A Hymn Before Battle", and "Ghost".

A common theme to all three universes is a single soldier, or small group of soldiers, facing asymmetrical combat situations and racking up incredible body counts to achieve victory. He also seems to have a fascination with "Toroidal Effects" in thermo-nuclear detonations and how these effects might allow one to survive at ground zero.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:07 PM   #13
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see why you thought that Bob had been reading Ringo, scotty1024! That's one of my pix that Bob linked to, and one of the test files I took to SD with me.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
scotty1024
Banned

That'll teach Bob to link your photos.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:16 PM   #15
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
That'll teach Bob to link your photos.
Bob is welcome to link my photos, and so is anyone else who'd like to. The idea is to share this stuff not keep it to myself, after all.