Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Handhelds and Smartphones

Notices

Old 01-18-2005, 04:07 PM   #1
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

FontSmoother 1.0 for Palm OS released

Smoothed fonts (antialiased fonts) decrease the "jagginess" of bitmap fonts. FontSmoother lets you use smooth fonts in most applications on your OS 5 PDA (except for Tapwave and Treo 600) with Fonts4OS5 3.21 (some applications, e.g., eReader and Mobipocket do not even require Fonts4OS5!) It includes several smooth fonts and you can generate more from TrueType and Type 1 sources on your desktop with the free PalmFontConv utility.

You can get it from:
http://zlthemes.com/ProductDetailListing.php?PID=79
Or:
http://palmgear.com/index.cfm?xyz=90288
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22483.png
Views:	551
Size:	35.4 KB
ID:	488  
Old 01-18-2005, 05:07 PM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
NP Alexander, since it is very much related to the topic. Actually let me slightly edit your post and move it to the frontpage, if that is fine with you
Advert
Old 01-18-2005, 06:41 PM   #3
pruss
Evangelist
pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pruss ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That would be great!
Old 01-22-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
I have just installed FontSmoother (thanks for the license file, Alex!) and all I can say is that this one is a must-have tool for anyone who loves reading e-books on his Palm! I would go so far to say that FontSmoother is the long awaited Palm OS equivalent to Microsoft's Cleartype technology for PPC

You really have to see this working to feel the difference. I attached two screenshots, one showing the same screen with and one without FontSmoother. Cudos to Lubomir 'lubak' Veselovsky for taking the shots!!

Btw, Alex released FontSmoother 1.01 which extends the trial period to 8 days!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NetFront-Fonts4OS5-aa-1.gif
Views:	583
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	496   Click image for larger version

Name:	NetFront-Fonts4OS5-aa-2.gif
Views:	496
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	497  
Old 01-25-2005, 12:39 AM   #5
pruss
Evangelist

I am now working on two things: I'd like to have partial (non-antialiased) CJK support, and there is a problem with highlighting looking bad in some contexts.
Advert
Old 01-25-2005, 04:39 PM   #6
Liqiud
Infinite Oblivion
Liqiud began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie PEG-UX50
It looks nice,
I like it.
Old 02-01-2005, 12:34 AM   #7
pruss
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss
I am now working on two things: I'd like to have partial (non-antialiased) CJK support, and there is a problem with highlighting looking bad in some contexts.
Highlighting is much improved. CJK support still not there...
Old 02-01-2005, 03:48 AM   #8
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by pruss
Highlighting is much improved. CJK support still not there...
Pruss does this apply to 1.01 or one of the future versions you are working on?
Old 02-04-2005, 10:44 AM   #9
pruss
Evangelist

Version 1.10 is now out:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?xyz=90288
http://www.zlthemes.com/Programs.php

NEW STUFF:
Activated for free even after expiration of trial in many Bible-type applications (still needs paid Fonts4OS5). Smooth highlighting support (in some apps). Included some Bitstream Charter fonts. Fresh trial period to users who exhausted the trial period on previous version.
Better trimming of text boxes. Bug fix to font switching code, to improve preview in Fonts4OS5. Fix wordwrapping for text with tabs. Workaround for Fonts4OS5 small Sony bold, Hi-Launcher, AppShelf and JackFlash problems. Fixed TH-55 incompatibility.
Old 02-05-2005, 03:56 PM   #10
phoenixz
phoenixz began at the beginning.

Device: TJ35
Pruss, this looks very very good! Do I need a high end model to get reasonable performance? if this doesn't slow down the font drawing that much(AA fonts in plucker is too slow for my TJ35), I will switch to fonts4OS5+fontsmoother(I'm using FontHackV. any plans to make it work with fonthackv?).
Old 02-08-2005, 01:24 AM   #11
pruss
Evangelist

I'm working on FontHackV support.

As for speed, try it (use a demo of Fonts4OS5).