Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 12-14-2004, 08:23 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Skyweezer - free gateway for mobile browsers

Skweezer is a sort of free wireless Web "gateway" that allows you display web sites in a way that's optimized for handheld devices. Images are visible and content is intelligently stacked for easier access. Looks good, give it a try for as long as it is free
Old 12-14-2004, 01:11 PM   #2
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
More of the same...

Its just taking the site remotely, stripping tables, and adding internal redirects to keep pumping all urls clicked and followed, through their table-stripping engine. It isn't "optimized" for handhelds at all. Images aren't quantized, resized, and content isn't prepared with handheld readers in mind at all.

This is probably 15 lines of Perl, tops, to make this happen. It could (and should) be extended to clean up the HTML and remove the unnecessary attributes and tags that are not required for mobile reading on a cell or PDA.

Its an interesting idea though, but its already been done, several years ago by quite a few "mobile portal" sites.
Advert
Old 12-14-2004, 03:55 PM   #3
dreamriver
Enthusiast
dreamriver began at the beginning.

Device: T5
Thumbs up This is what I Needed!

This website will now allow me to get my local paper on my pda. I just use the service to get my newspaper and use that address for my iSilo to convert it to my pda! Yahoo!

Cheers!
Old 04-17-2005, 09:56 AM   #4
Shackbase
Shackbase began at the beginning.

Device: Axim x30 624mhz
i thought it was a very useful link - it would be nice if it could resize images but thumbnails of thumbnails on a pda screen may still not be useful.

--Tone