Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
So how shall we use this Sub-Forum?

Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to use/organize this subforum?

What are your thoughts:

One thread per recipe request, or one thread for all requests?
A thread for recipe authors to post Cool Tips & Tricks? (can a sub-forum have stickies?)
A thread for recipe authors to request/answer questions about how to write, or should those go into the thread requesting the recipe?
If someone wants to tackle a specific recipe request, should they post that fact to avoid duplication of effort, or proceed as in the past?
Any suggested formal interaction with the Bug Tracker (as in should authors try to post here if they've started to tackle something from the bug tracker?)

(I only posted this to be first in the sub-forum)
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 11:52 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starson17 View Post
(I only posted this to be first in the sub-forum)
Your first post is highly welcomed.

Quote:
Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to use/organize this subforum?
I'd like to leave the decision how to best organize this subforum open to Kovid and everyone else who is interested in Calibre recipes. Personally I would have thought of using a new thread for discussing a specific recipe solution or request. Depending on how well this works, we could add prefixes to distinguish the nature of a thread (recipe, need solution, request). Ah yes, stickies are also possible here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
TonytheBookworm
Addict
TonytheBookworm is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle 2, kindle 3, Kindle fire
Most of what i'm saying below Starson17 has stated but here are my thoughts.

I feel Request should in sub-form to itself - this will keep all request in a list so individual developers can pick a recipe and run with it. Post the recipe and mark it somehow complete, so others know not to spend time on it since it is already done.

I also feel that there should be a sub-forum for developers of recipes to ask questions. This should be open to developers only that have posted workable code in the request area. It should be read only to anyone else that is a non-developer so they can search it and get tips and whatever. But I feel only authors should be able to post to it because then the sub-form will remain in check with specific technical issues in regard to recipe building.

I also feel the Karma system should be in effect over here. More specifically if someone pm's authors constantly or constantly request recipes one right after the next. Then somehow they should be limited to the request. Maybe set a filter that only allows them to post one request a week in the request section or something.

Also maybe a Sticky of Frequently asked Questions that the authors can post to at times to keep from having to repeat steps over and over. Maybe things to the fact of here is a template to start with <code here> then here is how to remove tags and here is how to keep tags. You get the idea. And if new tricks are found and become frequently asked then a developer or mod can update it.

The way calibre and beautiful soup has made it easy to build recipes I see this becoming extremely popular. Because the e-readers have came way down in price and I think that is going to be the hot item this christmas. Plus a lot of people are seeing why pay amazon to read a blog? One amazon's blogs (the ones i have purchased), i have ended up canceling because they do not format it correctly. For instance the official amazon blog for the Neal Boortz show has tables in it. When you view it on the kindle you basically can't read it because it is off centered and so on. I complained to them about it and they said there was nothing they could do. So, with calibre i simply made the recipe myself and used the tip starson17 told me (linearize_tables) and fixed the problem. Now i can read the blog and save money at the same time.

Thanks for making this sub-forum by the way
TonytheBookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:42 PM   #4
kingduct
Enthusiast
kingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litterkingduct doesn't litter

Device: none
Having just looked in at this new forum for the first time, I think there definitely should be a sticky where you can create rules for using this forum. I'll even suggest a rule to get you started:

When you post a new thread, clearly state the publication/website of the recipe and whether you have created a recipe or are looking for one. For example:

Recipe request: www.elcomercio.com

That would make life so much easier in terms of navigating the forum!
kingduct is offline   Reply With Quote