Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
Jeanty
Jeanty began at the beginning.

Device: none
Ebook reader with calendar/address book

I have been happily reading books on my Palm Lifedrive for some time, but it's time to update and Palm is not an option. I have considered getting a smartphone that I can read on, but I don't really want to run down my phone battery by reading - I'm very capable of running the Palm down - and a slightly bigger screen would be good. So a dedicated ebook reader seems the way to go. But ideally I would like to be able to keep my diary and address book on it too - I know I can store that stuff in my phone, but am I the only person in the world who wants to look at my engagements /while/ I am talking on the phone?

Anyway, my question is, can I get an ebook reader what will do this? Seems like the Pocketbook 301 plus may (does it have address book?). Do any other models have this option? I see some newer models use the Android operating system - can you add apps?

Thanks for any input.

Jean
Jeanty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:55 PM   #2
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeanty View Post
I have been happily reading books on my Palm Lifedrive for some time, but it's time to update and Palm is not an option. I have considered getting a smartphone that I can read on, but I don't really want to run down my phone battery by reading - I'm very capable of running the Palm down - and a slightly bigger screen would be good. So a dedicated ebook reader seems the way to go. But ideally I would like to be able to keep my diary and address book on it too - I know I can store that stuff in my phone, but am I the only person in the world who wants to look at my engagements /while/ I am talking on the phone?

Anyway, my question is, can I get an ebook reader what will do this? Seems like the Pocketbook 301 plus may (does it have address book?). Do any other models have this option? I see some newer models use the Android operating system - can you add apps?

Thanks for any input.

Jean
I created a PDF with pages sized the same as my e-book reader screen that has my address/phone number info in it and keep it in my JetBook Lite. The only downside is if I want to make changes, I have to wait until I get to my computer and change the Word doc the PDF was made from. Still, it meets my needs.

If you want the same functionality that you had with your Palm, then a small tablet would probably meet your needs better than a dedicated e-book reader.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I remember that at least one of the new 9" reader do have a contacts application. Not sure if it's the MBook due Nov 2010 in UK.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote