Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-19-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Nonna1
Nonna1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Anyone tried clear fingernail polish on the graphite K3's keys

...to keep them from rubbing off. So many reports of key symbols fading with use. = ( My down arrow is already half gone with very little use. And I really like the graphite color better than the white, which has had no reports of paint rubbing off the keys. I don't want to return mine b/c I already put a skin on it and have my collections organized.

Anyone else have this problem???
Nonna1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, nonna1

Let us know how this works if you'd like to try it!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

I haven't encountered the problem, yet. But I would use great caution when applying it so that it doesn't accidentally run over the side of the key button and cause problems. If it runs down in the cracks around the button it might affect the button's usability.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-21-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:44 PM   #4
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Nail polish might have a "negative" reaction with either the robber and/or the ink used for the lettering. I wouldn't try it, personally.

I think medium grey lettering on a dark grey background was an absolutely stupid color combination on our new K3 units ... It MANDATES me wearing my reading eyeglasses just to see the keys.

I have not researched "keyboard covers" for tiny keyboards like our K3 has. I am sure someone out ther has placed Saran Wrap(tm) across their keyboard for protection.

Are you sure the lettering is being wiped away - as opposed to, maybe, just being "blocked" by skin moisture and dust? Maybe spraying a little eyeglass cleaner ON A CLEANING CLOTH (NOT onto the device) and gentle wiping may help? Of course, if your letting is, indeed, deteriorating, this will accelerate that deterioration. Just haven't heard about this one yet. Call Amazon customer support and start a case.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #5
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Nonna1, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
What Clint said. Nail polish out of the bottle is mostly solvent and the plastic in the Kindle may react badly to that.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #7
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
What a grim thought!
Remover and a cotton swab?
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

I wonder if the lettering was laser etched? I know some PC keyboards have laser etched keys.
Old 09-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #9
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
I just bought a Kindle DXG less a month ago, and much of the lettering paint has come off. I have contact amazon about it and I am waiting for a reply....
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 PM   #10
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Libra Colour, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I just bought a Kindle DXG less a month ago, and much of the lettering paint has come off. I have contact amazon about it and I am waiting for a reply....
That is indeed curious. I ordered and received my Graphite DX as soon as it was released (first week in July) and it still looks like it did out of the box.

When you say "much of the lettering paint..." does that include keyboard, page turn/home/menu?
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:16 PM   #11
stjoe
Connoisseur
stjoe began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG, Pocket eDGe, Kindle Paperwhite, Sony, Onyx N96, Onyx Nova
I also have KDXG for few weeks already, initially I thought the Back button lettering come off but after I cleaned with eucalyptus oil, the lettering back. Apparently it was only dirt, not peeling off.

Try eucalyptus oil to clean the buttons. I also tried to use alcohol 70% but the result not as good as using eucalyptus oil.
stjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 09:19 PM   #12
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
That really doesn't sound like a good idea. Just report the problem to Amazon's wonderful customer service and they'll see what they can do if they're not already aware of similar issues reported by others.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 05:53 AM   #13
JustinL
JustinL began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi, I am new to the forums and just received my Kindle 3. I read this thread with interest and I can see what you mean with the rubberised buttons. I have come across these type of buttons before on my old Panasonic G1 and have a solution. What I used is Vallejo Matt Varnish, it is used by hobbyists to protect paint. It is 100% safe to use on these type of buttons and will protect the surface, follow this link for further information http://www.acrylicosvallejo.com/gb/a...el-paints.html
JustinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:31 AM   #14
austinmitchell
Enthusiast
austinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texanaustinmitchell might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
The lettering on the keys reminds me of the Psion Series 5mx. It had the same type of light on dark lettering and it didn't actually rub off. The lettering process leaves tiny pits which collect dirt from fingers. Pretty sure that they could be carefully cleaned.
austinmitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 06:43 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I've never tried 'clear' nail polish but 'desert rose' really seems to accentuate its eyes quite nicely.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote