Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 09-10-2010, 04:24 AM   #1
CryoGenID
CryoGenID began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Opus
Bug with the side-key assignment?!

Hello everybody!

I now have my Opus for a few weeks and am really happy with it... besides one "bug" which I think I have found and which I would like to get corrected...
But before I write Bookeen directly, I wanted to ask you if I am just stupid, or if this really is a bug

These two buttons on the right side of the display are currently (regardless of the setting in the device) jumping one PAGE back when I press the lower button. I then go into the menu -> Advanced -> Select "Invert button" (I have the German version, so I don't know the exact english translation). Then the buttons are still the same (lower button jumps one PAGE backwards).
If I enter the menu again and select "Invert button" again, then the device does exactly as I want it to:
It jumps one PART of the page ahead when I press the lower button.

Unfortunately, this setting is somehow not saved correctly, as soon as I switch the device off and then on again, the setting is again to jump one PAGE backwards when I press the lower button.

So every time I want to read s.th. I have to go into the menu twice and switch the "Invert button" option off and back on

Do you have this "bug" as well?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Christian
CryoGenID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 04:26 AM   #2
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
It is a known issue, and BOOKEEN is aware of the bug.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-10-2010, 04:28 AM   #3
CryoGenID

Ah thanks a lot :-)

Hopefully we will get an option to define if the device should jump a PAGE or just a PART of the page ahead/backwards :-)

Best regards,

Christian
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM   #4
kronckew
Bookworm
kronckew began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen opus
i also have noted this bug, any idea when a fix might be on the cards? seems like it's been 'known' for a while now...
kronckew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 04:39 PM   #5
CryoGenID

Yes I have also been wondering why it seems to be sooooo difficult to provide us with an update... This bug is extremely annoying :-(
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
kronckew
Bookworm

i have emailed bookeen support, and received a reply from them that you can invert the keys by going through the menu to advanced and selecting the invert keys option.

- sigh....

form response no. 27 i guess, after not bothering to read my whole message. maybe an automated 'bot response from a 'bot that needs tweaking?

i have re-written them to explain that i can in fact read the manual and that was not the problem. i hereafter enclose the current chain of emails.

maybe, christian, you should try writing them also, in german, if you have not already.

Best Regards,

Wayne Kröncke

Quote:
dear elena,

thank you for the reply. i already know that you can invert the keys via the menu. it says that in the manual.

the problem i, and others, have is that they do not stay set.

powering off (long press on power button, not the short press 'standby') and later, on again they lose the setting and need to be reset, the other changes made do NOT reset & stay where i set them.

if i go thru the menu to advanced, i see the invert option is still checked even though they keys are no longer inverted.

it must be re-selected to remove the check mark, then selected again a second time to invert the keys.

having to use the menu twice to reset the option again every time i power up is an obvious bug.

i had been informed on the support forum for bookeen on www.mobileread.com (post no. 2) that this was a known problem with the opus 2.1 firmware, but there was no mention of any fix. that forum post was back in september.

i was asking if a fix was forthcoming. i can read the manual as well as you can.

Best Regards,

On 15 Dec 2010 15:59, Bookeen Support wrote:
> Dear Sir or Madam,
>
> Thank you for having contacted the Bookeen Customer Service.
>
> I have read your email, concerning the difficulties with your Cybook Opus
> and I will be glad to help you.
>
> In fact, you can control and invert the sidekeys, by pressing the menu
> button and choosing advanced options.
>
> Would you like to use your sidekeys for something else?
>
> Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences.
>
> Looking forward to hearing from you as soon as possible.
>
> Yours Sincerely,
> Elena Maire.
>
> Bookeen Customer Service.
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: kronckew@gmail.com [mailto:kronckew@gmail.com]
> Sent: Monday, December 13, 2010 10:24 PM
> To: bookeen.support
> Subject: ASSISTANCE : Opus - CYBPE20-BK - Buttons
>
> i have the newer (black) opus, with the latest software v2.1, the sidekey
> assignment function is not staying set. i have been told you are awre of
> this, is there a fix yet? if so how do i get it? if not, when might we
> expect a fix release?
>

Last edited by kronckew; 12-15-2010 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
CryoGenID

Wayne,

thanks for the update!
Please keep me updated on their reply... If they still write nonsense, then I will mail them also :-)

Let's keep our hopes up ;-)

Best regards,

Christian
Old 12-16-2010, 03:53 AM   #8
kronckew
Bookworm

received another reply: at least they're responding fairly quickly. would have preferred some sort of timing rather than 'nearest future', lets hope that means this year...

best regards,

wayne

Quote:
Dear Mr. Kroncke,

I am very sorry for the inconveniences that you are experiencing, please accept my sincere apologies.

Concerning this issue, I would like to inform you, that this option will be available with the next update. Curently, our technicians are working on this update, that will be posted on our website in the nearest future.

I am very sorry for the inconveniences that you are experiencing, but as soon as you download the update, you will be able to fully enjoy your Cybook.

If you have any other comments or questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours Sincerely,

Elena Maire
Bookeen Customer Service

Last edited by kronckew; 12-16-2010 at 04:02 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 05:37 AM   #9
CryoGenID

Wayne,

thanks a lot for the update!

Well at least they are not negating this bug but are addressing it..

So let's hope the best and let's keep our fingers crossed ;-)

Best regards,

Christian
Old 03-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #10
kronckew
Bookworm

well, 4 months on and the 'nearest future' is not here. the orizon has had an update, nothing on opus. not a word.

i'll try again i guess.

update: just sent them ANOTHER support message, referencing Elena Maire's earlier december missive, will post reply if/when i get it.
Old 03-29-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
CryoGenID

Great, thanks! :-)

Best regards,

Christian
Old 03-29-2011, 04:45 PM   #12
amoroso
Groupie
amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amoroso ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle for Android, Google Play Books
Quote:
Originally Posted by kronckew View Post
well, 4 months on and the 'nearest future' is not here. the orizon has had an update, nothing on opus. not a word.
A month or so ago I asked about this on the BOOKEEN page on Facebook, and they said the Orizon has precedence.

By the way, within the past few months I have come to appreciate the default page movement commands, with the top button corresponding to page forward, because it is the button closest to where I keep my right thumb when holding the Opus. I have to bend the thumb more to reach the bottom button.

The bottom line -- no pun intended -- is that I personally no longer need the button swapping command.
amoroso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 01:52 AM   #13
CryoGenID

Funny...
It is the same way here ;-)
I have also come to the conclusion that you can hold the device much easier and more comfortable when using the upper button to go to the next page

But I'd like to have the bug corrected anyway ;-)

Best regards,

Christian
Old 03-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #14
kronckew
Bookworm

i also have gotten used to it, but would like it fixed even if i decide not to use it inverted in future.

bookeen support responded today & gave me instructions and two file download links to enable me to reflash the firmware and re-update it to 2.1. they suggested that should fix it. that flash went OK.

had to re-set language, inertial sensor, file display & sort order etc. after.

side keys function exactly as before, that is : broken. the setting does not retain after a power off even tho the check stays next to the 'invert keys' item & i have to un-set it and re-set it to invert, then again power off/on loses it.

i shall persevere as a matter of principal, tho i shall not hold my breath waiting.
at least now i have a factory fresh system. i have passed this info on to them again.

best regards & i'll likely post something here after waiting the next 4 months

-wayne

Last edited by kronckew; 03-30-2011 at 01:52 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 04:09 AM   #15
kronckew
Bookworm

well, good news/bad news:

good news:

per support at bookeen: they've fixed the problem and the update is out for testing now.

bad news:

they expect it to take 'several' months in testing before release to the users (us).

glad i didn't hold my breath.

best regards,
-wayne

p.s. - how many is 'several'?

Last edited by kronckew; 04-01-2011 at 04:13 AM.