Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 09-07-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Best tool for checking epub formatting?

I've been creating ebooks for several years. Previously, my target format was PDF, but since I bought my first ereader I've been doing a lot of epub.

My (presumably fairly typical) workflow is as follows: Create a rough draft. View it. Note a few errors. Correct them. Check for more. Repeat ad infinitum.

The problem is, which viewer should I use? I'll often find myself fiddling around with my CSS for an hour to get the formatting right in FBReader only to discover my ebook reader doesn't support MARGIN-LEFT. I feel like I'm back in the 90s, fighting the browser wars all over again, with my epubs crammed full of hacks to compensate for viewer incompatibilities.

Is there an epub viewer out there that could be considered anything close to a gold reference standard? I don't care whether my epubs display correctly in any particular viewer. I'd just like to know at the end of the day that I didn't waste half my time trying to format around viewer idiosyncracies.

Or maybe I should just check my epubs with Firefox.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 07:35 AM   #2
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Liza Daly over at threepress.org had an article about the major types of reader software - basically ADE-derived or Webkit-derived. I think that both FBReader and CoolReader are outside that model however, and I haven't much experience with either of those.

There is a thread (which should be stickied) describing bugs and quirks in the ADE sofware, we need similar threads for the other readers.

But most of all we need a conformance testing organization, probably outside of IDPF (since its major principals are the worst offenders).
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Nathanael
Groupie
Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nathanael ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sibrary G5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
Liza Daly over at threepress.org had an article about the major types of reader software
Thanks a lot. No, I mean it. Thanks a LOT. Ran over to ThreePress to see if I could find it. I didn't. But I did just spend the last three hours -- hours I could have been otherwise productive with -- reading the ThreePress site. Lots of fascinating stuff there.

So really. Thanks. A lot.

--Nathanael
Nathanael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 05:10 AM   #4
paulpeer
Zealot
paulpeer is on a distinguished road

Device: iPhone, Sony PRS-505, EPUBreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathanael View Post
Ran over to ThreePress to see if I could find it. I didn't.
Here it is: http://blog.threepress.org/2010/04/0...ading-engines/
paulpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #5
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
I think we have to wait.

Nathanael,
You are right, current eReaders are very backward and in chaos, just like browsers in 90's.

I think ADE, SONY and Nook are better previewers than FBReader.
And ePub Reader plug-in for Firefox have the same problem as FBReader.
I have an article about this on my blog
http://epingsoft.com/blog/?p=64
hope it will help you.

Last edited by eping; 09-09-2010 at 09:45 AM.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #6
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
All current readers have problems, but Adobe's version comes closest to a standard simply because it's so widely used. FBReader ignores so much of the standard that it can barely even be considered epub-compatible. Apple's iBooks extends the standard in certain ways (though merely as a side-effect of its use of webkit) and fails abjectly in others (such as font-embedding or page-control)
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:16 AM   #7
f4b10b
f4b10b began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
bugs and quirks in ADE

Quote:
Originally Posted by pholy View Post
There is a thread (which should be stickied) describing bugs and quirks in the ADE sofware, we need similar threads for the other readers.
Hi, I'm not able ti find this thread , may you help me?
f4b10b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 07:00 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by f4b10b View Post
Hi, I'm not able ti find this thread , may you help me?

Welcome to mobileread ....

The thread is here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...light=ADE+bugs
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote