Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-28-2010, 04:36 AM   #1
modkindle
modkindle began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Kindle Archive if drm removed

If a book purchased through Amazon has the DRM removed and is installed on your Kindle from a computer, is it still recognized as being on your Kindle by Amazon and your archive?
modkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
If the book was purchased using the same Amazon account your Kindle is registered to, the original copy (with DRM) will be in your archive. If the book was purchased using another Amazon account, stripped of DRM, and then added to your Kindle, it will be treated like other non-Amazon purchased books - and not be in the archive.
ONLY the books purchased on the account the Kindle is registered to will be in the archive. You can't strip DRM and put the books back into the archive.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 02:25 PM   #3
modkindle

what I have seen is that a user might have purchased 100 books from Amazon. Stripped the drm from them all and edited the meta data in Calibre.

Then the user gets a new Kindle and registers it to the account. The new Kindle shows 100 items in the archive. The user uploads 20 items to the new Kindle from the Calibre library but downloads no books from the archive. After this the new Kindle only shows 80 items in the archive.

I am curious as to how Amazon is recognizing these documents as being on the new Kindle.
Old 08-28-2010, 02:27 PM   #4
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
If the book was purchased using the same Amazon account your Kindle is registered to, the original copy (with DRM) will be in your archive.
I noticed a different behaviour, I think amazon recognises a book by its ASIN.
At least that was what I watched happening:

I deleted an original file from my Kindle -> book got listed in Archive
Then I transferred the same book DRM-stripped via USB -> book disappeared from Archive.

(And I don't mean the archive on Amazon.com, but the Archive folder on the Kindle, letting me redownload purchased books)
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 02:29 PM   #5
modkindle

Yes. That is what I meant. You explained to much more clearly than I did. Why do you think it is the asin being recognized rather than some other identifying part of the file?
Advert
Old 08-28-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
From wikipedia:

Quote:
The Amazon Standard Identification Number (ASIN) is a unique identification number assigned by Amazon.com and its partners for product identification within the Amazon.com organization.

Each product sold on Amazon.com is given a unique ASIN. For books with 10-digit ISBN, the ASIN and the ISBN are the same. Books without an ISBN and other products are also assigned ASINs.
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 03:13 PM   #7
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
problem trying to upload from calibre

I've downloaded an epub book from the internet archive into calibre, but when I try to send to device I get an error message.

On the assumption that it had somehow got corrupted I deleted all copies and then downloaded again but get the same error message as in the attachment.

Would appreciate any help

PeteS
Attached Files
File Type: txt calibre trace.txt (167.2 KB, 301 views)

Last edited by PeteS; 08-29-2010 at 10:24 AM. Reason: sent to wrong forum
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 08:48 AM   #8
suecsi
Rock Chick
suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.suecsi is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Kindle 2i, Kindle DX, Kindle 3G
PeteS

The mods might want to move this into the Calibre section, but is this thread helpful?

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...imum+recursion
suecsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:55 AM   #9
PeteS
Enthusiast
PeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enoughPeteS will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-300
Thanks Suecsi

Thanks that was the right answer - I had transferred the query to the calibre forum and had a reply from Kovid and it turned out the book title was far too long.

Thanks for taking the trouble to reply and also point me in the right direction.

Cheers,

PeteS
PeteS is offline   Reply With Quote