Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #1
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
How does the note taking work on the reader?

Hi folks,

Got another question regarding the note taking function, another of the many reasons I chose the Sony Reader for my ebook reader. I'm a member of a writer's critique group here and what I decided to do was to load this week's material to critique onto my reader as a PDF. I'm then going through it and jotting down notes by hand so that I can save them and send the notes to the people whose work I'm critiquing. In theory, the idea sounds great, however I just realized I have no idea what the computer side relationship would be of the notes I write. Do they stay attached if I copy the document back to my computer and then send the PDF to someone or do I somehow have to copy the notes off separately? I mean, I suppose I'll find out anyway once I try to copy them off, but if I know that it's going to be a real big hassle, I can just put the stuff on dead trees and edit the old fashioned way.

Thanks for any info.

Eric
eric11210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
eric11210
Addict
eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eric11210 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I never got a response form anyone, so I'm not sure how many other people have tried to use this feature on their readers, but anyway the way it works is that you need to open the document in the Sony desktop software. You then have an option to save your notes under that feature. It just saves the few lines where you were working along with your hand written notes.

It's pretty nice actually if you have a need to work on notes and then pass them on to someone else.
Advert
Old 08-19-2010, 03:36 AM   #3
Onemack
Groupie
Onemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheeseOnemack can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle P/W, Kobo Aura, Kobo Libre 2, Boyue likebook P10
[QUOTE=eric11210;1063318] you need to open the document in the Sony desktop software. QUOTE]

What Sony desktop software?? are you referring to the Sony reader Libray?
Onemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #4
eric11210
Addict

Yes, the Sony Reader Library software. When you open the document from your reader in there Reader Library, you will have an option to save notes. It doesn't seem to transfer over when you copy the PDF into Calibre.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:35 AM   #5
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
The best option you have is to use the 'export notes' option on the reader software. That will create an RTF file containing your highlights, your typed notes and it will create an image file (within the RTF) of every page on which you have taken free-hand annotations, with said annotations.

Because of the images embedded in the RTF, such files can become quite large, especially if you annotate a large number of pages.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #6
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Not that I'm really concerned, but wouldn't that be a copyright violation on most books to create an image of a page?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 05:26 PM   #7
901hw
Connoisseur
901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is901hw knows what time it is

Device: Trekstor Pyrus Mini, PB Touch Lux 2, Onxy Boox C67ML (maybe))
Thats why the number of highlights can be limited by the publishers or even completely prohibited. At least as far as I understood from the IFA video.
901hw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The underlined passages on my Sony PRS-600 are always truncated when I export them to my PC. That's a big drawback in my opinion. Kindles don't have this limitation, although bith are equally subject to publishers limiting the amount of text that can be copied. In my experience, for example, you can't copy the any of the text from A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking, and a few other books limit the amount you can copy.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM   #9
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
Eric said he is working with a writing group, so there would not be a DRM issue to limit the amount of text in the file. The other way to circumvent DRM limits is to remove the DRM.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 08:06 PM   #10
kevinp
Fanatic
kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kevinp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe, Kindle PW (10th & 11th gen); Fire HD 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by peitsao View Post
Eric said he is working with a writing group, so there would not be a DRM issue to limit the amount of text in the file. The other way to circumvent DRM limits is to remove the DRM.
That's why I said most books.

Back to the subject of the thread:
So, if I want to make a list of phrases out of a certain books (copy a sentence here and a sentence there), how do I go about doing that on a new PRS-350? How do I transfer the list (without copies of each page)?
kevinp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 06:35 AM   #11
reclam
reclam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinp View Post
That's why I said most books.

Back to the subject of the thread:
So, if I want to make a list of phrases out of a certain books (copy a sentence here and a sentence there), how do I go about doing that on a new PRS-350? How do I transfer the list (without copies of each page)?
Yes, that would be very interesting? How does ist work?
reclam is offline   Reply With Quote