Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 07:32 AM   #1
hahahut
hahahut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS-600
Contrast level comparing to Kobo

Hi! Need a bit advice.

I have a PRS600, which I broke the screen a few weeks ago. I am thinking to get another one. My PRS600 is a bit hard to read when it is a little bit dark. I guess it is because of the touch screen. So this time I want to try the PRS300. I live in New Zealand. The only ebook reader available here is the Kobo reader. I notice the Kobo reader has great contrast (almost as clear as reading on paper). Is PRS300 just as good? I have seen some pictures online. But it is hard to tell what the lighting was like when the pic/video was taken. I do like PRS300's pdf support as Kobo can't reflow PDF (it just magnifies the page).

Can someone confirm PRS300 has the great contrast as well? Thanks
hahahut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #2
Ziguezon
Ogg Vorbis
Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ziguezon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
If you had trouble reading in low light conditions on the PRS-600, you may find that the PRS-300 or the Kobo are not much better. If that is an important consideration for you, then you might want to investigate the new e-ink pearl screens, which have better contrast than the current e-ink screens. The Kindle 3 uses the new pearl screens, and there are rumors that Sony is about to update their product line to include them as well (PRS-350, PRS-650).

My PRS-505 has the same screen (minus 1 inch), as the PRS-300, and I find it quite difficult to read in low light without a clip-on lamp.
Ziguezon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2010, 08:23 AM   #3
peitsao
Addict
peitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beautypeitsao does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo mini, PW3,NookST
The 300 only has three font sizes, the battery is not easily replaced, does not have SD slot (all of which the KOBO does have), but it is a better screen for clarity than KOBO reader. However, if KOBO keeps updating the software, the I think it would be a better reader and I like the larger screen. Neither have touch screen, nor do they have notation/bookmarking text which you may miss after using the 600.

I am waiting for SONY to bring out their new line of readers and will most likely go for the 650. Five inch screens are just too small for my old eyes, and I can read books on my Droid phone for short periods of time if I want more portability.

It really boils down to what works best for you and what you are able to pay. A current step up from the 600 would be the boox/neo, which I do not own, but looks like a really nice reader but price is about the same as SONY 900. Here is link to boox video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJUNj...eature=related

If SONY does not come out with a better reader than the 600, I am going with the boox.

Hope this helps you.
peitsao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM   #4
hahahut
hahahut began at the beginning.

Device: SONY READER PRS-600
Great! Both are very helpful!

I was secretely disappointed by my SONY 600 regarding to the contrast when I just received it. If the light source is perfect, it is very easy to read. But when there is still enough light for regular paper reading, the reader's background would appear to be a bit too dark. Still can read. But just not as easy. A friend bought a Kobo and I got to play with it. The contrast seems great for me. So if 300 is the same, it should keep me happy too.

But like mentioned above, 300 is a bit too limited. I might just wait and see what would come out before my next travel (if I could).
hahahut is offline   Reply With Quote