Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 08-11-2010, 05:01 PM   #1
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 902, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0, ASUS TF700, and Cybook Gen III
Arrow ExoPC - Windows 7 Slate

I can't believe there has not been much talk here about the new ExoPC coming in September. Since it runs Windows 7 it should be an excellent ebook reader, not to mention all of the other things you can do with it. The specs look fantastic to me and I am purchasing one as soon as they are available. If it does have a down side it is the battery life, listed as 5 hours. Check it out here:
http://www.exopc.com/en/exopc-slate.php
CyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:21 PM   #2
mrkarl
Connoisseur
mrkarl began at the beginning.

Device: aluratek libre pro
loks alright......was there a price?
mrkarl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2010, 10:27 PM   #3
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Hate the 16:9 screen.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
briwayjones
Beo Neo!
briwayjones doesn't litterbriwayjones doesn't litter

Device: Bebook Neo
There are supposed to be many more similar slates coming out by different manufactures such as HP and Hanvon and others. If they can price them right around the iPad price I think they should do well. The will be a lot more flexible since they're running a full version of Windows 7 vs. the limited iphone/ipad OS. My only thing is they are still LCD screens, which are taxing on a lot of peoples eyes (mine included) and are a lot more power hungry. Probably no days and days of reading without a recharge. But cool none-the-less. I would maybe still get one in the future as I love gadgets.
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
CyGuy
Avid Reader
CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CyGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
That is one of the main selling points for me, I like 16:9 a lot. I use my 52" HDTV as my only monitor at home and it is a great format for more than just movies, to me at least. Surfing, ebooks, etc are great at 16:9, although I use 1920 X 1080 exclusively at home, I am not completely sure how the 1366 X 768 resolution of the ExoPC will turn out, but I am going to find out!
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 02:14 AM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Why? I like reading on my 16:9 screen.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
CyGuy
Avid Reader

The device and company now have a Wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EXOPC

Less than a month until release.
Old 08-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #8
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
I love LCD and I love Atom-based netbooks/tablets. This is win. I would put a Linux distro on it and make it fly even more than Windows 7. I would even Dual boot it with Win7 just to keep all options open.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #9
CyGuy
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
I love LCD and I love Atom-based netbooks/tablets. This is win. I would put a Linux distro on it and make it fly even more than Windows 7. I would even Dual boot it with Win7 just to keep all options open.
It seems they have already verified that dual boot works great. You can also boot directly from the SD card, or from a USB flash drive. I agree that this is win!
Old 08-24-2010, 09:12 AM   #10
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If it does come to Europe, for a decent price, I might check it out, looks nice, except that capacitive screen...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:57 AM   #11
gastan
Addict
gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gastan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: LePan II, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Why? I like reading on my 16:9 screen.
As far as I'm concerned a 16:9 screen is only good for one thing ... watching movies. I have a 55" HDTV for that.

I guess I'm old fashioned. When I read I want the screen to match a traditional book or magazine page as closely as possible. I haven't seen many 16:9 books or magazines so I would choose a 4:3 eReader or tablet every time. I realize that I'm in the minority so I'm preparing to just suck it up and live with a (to me) lousy 16:9 experience.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 08:19 PM   #12
mrkarl
Connoisseur

I've actually never noticed that my comics look different on my 16:9 screen, I suppose they would be, but I never really noticed
Old 08-26-2010, 02:50 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
As far as I'm concerned a 16:9 screen is only good for one thing ... watching movies. I have a 55" HDTV for that.

I guess I'm old fashioned. When I read I want the screen to match a traditional book or magazine page as closely as possible. I haven't seen many 16:9 books or magazines so I would choose a 4:3 eReader or tablet every time. I realize that I'm in the minority so I'm preparing to just suck it up and live with a (to me) lousy 16:9 experience.
When I first got my JE100, which also uses a 16:9 screen, I was worried as well about that. But after two pages, I didn't even see it anymore. I simply have more lines on the screen.
Old 08-26-2010, 01:29 PM   #14
wodin
Illiterate
wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wodin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S10+, Microsoft Surface Pro
A tad spendy at

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExoPC forum
The base price is in CAD and should be:
- 32GB / no GPS = 649 CAD = 624 USD = 488 EUR
- 64GB + GPS = 799 CAD = 768 USD = 599 EUR

Pricing for the first 1000 members of the forum. We do not expect them to change but cannot guarantee the final price when sold by our partners.
We will only be able to take one pre-order per member.
wodin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:55 PM   #15
mrkarl
Connoisseur

that's sort of pricey