Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

View Poll Results: Will Apple's iPhone be your next e-book reader?
Yes 11 14.29%
No 56 72.73%
Maybe 10 12.99%
Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #1
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
The Apple iPhone as an e-book reader?

While I remain sceptical until I see it in my own hands, others have already asked the question if the iPhone could also serve as an e-book reader:

Quote:
What's significant about iTunes and pdfs is that you're talking about a general-purpose content distribution network with a device that gets its volume from markets like music, photos, and video, that are well ahead of books as first class digital objects. I just don't see how any book-specific device has that much of a chance.

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/20...hone_as_a.html
Quote:
Setting aside the comfort issues, the iPhone could either kill the nascent e-reader business or take it to new levels. We’ve been saying just about forever that the problem with dedicated e-reader is the fact that the consumer isn’t seeking a device that does only one thing. With its “smart” orientation features, the iPhone could usher in the mass market e-book era.

http://www.booksquare.com/archives/2007/01/10/2258/
What do you think? Will the iPhone stand a chance against the Sony Reader & Co?
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 01:58 PM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
A dedicated device will always see more use as a reader. But the iPhone will get some use as an occasional reader in situations where one is waiting for an appointment. The same situations as where my phone serves as a music reader instead of my iPod. If it is possible with the iPhone to rotate the display and resize text, like with the Sony, I will use one.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2007, 02:20 PM   #3
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible
A dedicated device will always see more use as a reader. But the iPhone will get some use as an occasional reader in situations where one is waiting for an appointment. The same situations as where my phone serves as a music reader instead of my iPod. If it is possible with the iPhone to rotate the display and resize text, like with the Sony, I will use one.
Rotating the display is one of those cool features on the iPhone (no button, just rotate the display itself). I guess they should support most standard format too: PDF, TXT, RTF etc... so text resizing should be possible too.

I wouldn't read books on something else than e-ink, but I guess some people would, so yes, e-books could sell quite well on the iPhone.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Device: Cowon A2 Dell x3i, Sony Reader & Eee PC!
Looks like PDF.... But NO DOC Excell.

3.5 even a stretch one is not that frendly on text. I use the A2 with a 4" to read and even the Dell PDA but compared to the Sony's is like night and day.
Nightwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2007, 11:47 AM   #5
Jack B Nimble
Groupie
Jack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enoughJack B Nimble will become famous soon enough

Device: Tapwave Zodiac, eBookwise 1150
Full disclosure: I am a Mac guy.

I used to use a PDA constantly, mostly for reading with some offline browsing. Since I picked up a dedicated reader (eBookwise), I hardly use my PDA, and could almost stop carrying it. It would be nice to buy a smartphone to do the few things I still use it for, and maybe turn my offline browsing into online browsing. Not sure if it will be the iPhone (I am a bit disappointed with some of Apple's choices) or something by Nokia, the N800 or the rumored E90.

Still, I have to agree with yvan, there will be times it is more convenient to carry just my phone, and I could very well use it to read on occasion. Though I think I would probably be reading webfiction rather than a purchased (or public domain), downdloaded ebook.

Jack
Jack B Nimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2007, 11:52 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
My main concern with the iPhone: non-removable battery, and total talk time is only 5 hours. Dunno how long a single charge would last without recharge.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #7
Egghead
Mentat
Egghead has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Bookeen Gen3 Cybook
It's a closed system. That means no 3rd party apps can be installed. Which means no ebook reading software - Notes, with it's 4kb file limit just ain't gonna cut it.

So no. The iPhone won't be my next reading device.
Egghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2007, 10:22 PM   #8
Nightwing
Addict
Nightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enoughNightwing will become famous soon enough

Saw some where that the final bill after subscribing to the needed services is some where around 2k for one year.

I uses a pay as you go.

I agree its a zero as a reader.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:02 PM   #9
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, but the iPod Touch is being opened to 3rd party apps and an ebook reader (many in fact) will among the apps!
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #10
Nightwing
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinson View Post
Ah, but the iPod Touch is being opened to 3rd party apps and an ebook reader (many in fact) will among the apps!
Here is one of the reason I went with the sony reader...

I have a Cowon A2 PMP with a drop dead outstanding 4" screen.. rez of 480 x 272... All features are great except one and not its fault.. Yep reading text... Too small and too much scrolling.

And other shots...

http://nightwing.smugmug.com/gallery/2179134#113258093

The problem is two fold... A the LCD designed itself and the small limited screen. The touch has even a smaller screen.. More rez I think but just dont think it will hold up...

It like reading a book on a pda... Good if nothing else but would not if you had something else...
Old 10-20-2007, 12:33 PM   #11
edsohsmith
Connoisseur
edsohsmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 505 (soon)
iphone ereader

Actually I have an iPhone and have used available hacks to allow third party applications to run on it. I have installed the ereader, details here:
http://www.modmyiphone.com/nativeapps/books/

Supports text and html files.

The screen is small but works quite well for reading. Easier on the eyes when you invert the colors, i.e. white text on a black background. I find it easiest to scroll through the pages by scrolling the screen up with my finger. Very nice to have an ultraportable reader.

Still, I find myself wanting to buy a dedicated eReader. The screen is small for long reading sessions, and while very clear, the back lit display does cause some extra eye strain. I am getting closer to allowing myself to spend the $300 for the Sony PRS505. Likely I will not hold out much longer.
edsohsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:31 AM   #12
grommit
grommit began at the beginning.

Device: linrie
I'm about to take the plunge on a 505, upgrading from a Librie. The iPhone screen is remarkable in that text in .pdf's is clearly readable. I think it has something to do with font anti-aliasing, which should be possible on the Sony. Oh, and an out-of-the-box iPhone can read .pdf's, but you either have to set up a website to serve them to yourself, or email them to your phone.
grommit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 01:58 AM   #13
CloudGaze
Antagonist
CloudGaze began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch & MotoQ
You can store PDFs directly on your iphone or ipod touch now but the device have to be jailbroken.

Reading ebooks in landscape mode while listening to mp3s is great.

A couple of screenshots from my ipod touch are attached. Both files are PDFs, the one on the left is an ebook displayed in portrait mode, and the one on the right is a comic displayed in portrait mode (it's just an example, I don't really read that stuff...ahem).

I pondered about buying a Sony ebooks reader but -IMHO- it depends on how many gadgets you want to carry with you.

Cheers,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Theory.png
Views:	721
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	6626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Comic.png
Views:	684
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	6627  

Last edited by CloudGaze; 10-21-2007 at 02:05 AM.
CloudGaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 04:02 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you want a secondary book reader, a PDA is - IMHO - a far better choice than an iPhone. With both Palm and Pocket PC devices one has a choice of a wide variety of book reading software which gives you access to all the popular formats, both DRM and DRM-free. I am very happily using MobiPocket Reader on my HTC Smartphone.

None of these devices compete with a dedicated bookreader, but that's not their purpose, of course. Their value is to let you read for 10 minutes in an odd moment during the day; a device that you'll always have on you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2007, 12:15 PM   #15
mores
Guru
mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.mores knows the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
If you want a secondary book reader, a PDA is - IMHO - a far better choice than an iPhone. With both Palm and Pocket PC devices one has a choice of a wide variety of book reading software which gives you access to all the popular formats, both DRM and DRM-free. I am very happily using MobiPocket Reader on my HTC Smartphone.
you do realize that an HTC smartphone is the same thing the iPhone is?
a pda+phone combo. one of those things you most probably will ALWAYS have on you.
unless you want to point to the fact that the "standard-apps" like mobipocket, ms reader and eReader are not (yet?) available for the iPhone, and you're only able to read non-DRM books.
in this case you are right ... you'd have to crack those protected ebooks to convert to HTML and read on the iPhone.

i'd take the plunge, most of the books i read are unprotected and available in multiple formats. the only thing i would be hesitant to do would be to use the installer for the iPhone since it voids the warranty.
something you'd want to last for at least a year on a completely new product ... who knows what kind of bugs will show up after a few months of use.
mores is offline   Reply With Quote