Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-29-2010, 04:21 AM   #1
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle 3 & DX Graphite, PocketBook 302 & Pro 603
Unhappy 2.5.6 & K2i - No web browsing any more

It seems that amazon killed a bug in FW 2.5.3 - with K2i and FW 2.5.3, registered in Germany, web browsing was all of the sudden possible.

Since with FW 2.5.6 I get the usual message "due to local blablabla...", so my guess is that with FW 2.5.3 amazon accidentally enabled it for international customers...

Any other oberservations out there?
bear4hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #2
jol12
jol12 began at the beginning.

Device: prs 505(broken), kindle dxi, K3 3G
Hi there,
Yesterday my KDXI got updated to 2.5.6. Web browsing still available - I'm in the UK
jol12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
bear4hunter
Addict
bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!bear4hunter rocks like Gibraltar!

From the UK-Product page for the new Kindle 3:

Quote:
HSDPA modem (3G) with a fallback to EDGE/GPRS; utilises Amazon Whispernet to provide wireless coverage via Vodafone's 3G high-speed data network in the UK and partner networks outside of the UK.
So it looks like you are lucky, and amazon already has a local carrier - instead of roaming via AT&T USA. Too sad Amazon still has no provider in Germany, at least not that I know of. They are about to start a Kindle Office here, but really from scratch - publishers already rely on ePub, ADE and Sony and the like - it will be hard to talk them in to Kindle Publishing.

As of today, I really don't see a chance for Amazon to start a German Kindlestore soon
Old 07-29-2010, 05:52 AM   #4
Nemoi
Nemoi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2 international
@bear4hunter: How do you know about the German kindle office? Would at least be a sign that they are planning to build a German kindle store eventually...
Nemoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 08:18 AM   #5
jglerner
Connoisseur
jglerner doesn't litterjglerner doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3g (US), KT & PaperWhite, Nook ST
Unless I have a "positive" report about Brazilian access at Internet on 2.5.6 and/or other people reporting "no issues" at Internet blockage I´ll stick on 2.5.3.

Thanks for the heads up, Bear!

Happy Kindle 3 for everybody!

jglerner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-29-2010, 08:34 AM   #6
bear4hunter
Addict

@nemoi: a job offer I saw for the Amazon office Munich, they search a senior account manager to establish contacts with publishers, and to expand the german amazon store with Kindle products (books, newspapers, magazines.

The Job Description in German.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:56 AM   #7
kathrsa
kathrsa began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
My k2i updated to 2.5.6 today, and I still have Internet access in South Africa. I have had it since I got my kindle in April
kathrsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
bear4hunter
Addict

No luck so far, downgrade not possible, and now waiting for a reply from Amazon.

I bought the K2i at the day it was released internationally, knowing internet wouldn't work, but I gave them credit and thought, with time passing they would contract carriers around the world, and for a couple of weeks I even believed they did, as FW 2.5.3 gave me a working 3G connection.

Now I'm really pissed off, and not even thinking about upgrading to K3 or DXG - as long as it is crippled! I think I've been patient enough....
Old 07-29-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
notimp
Addict
notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.notimp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2i
Autoupdate is the problem... If anyone of the more tech savvy users could look into disabling autoupdates on the Kindle 2i 2.5.3, it would help out many of us...

Technically it seems possible.

See:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51371

-

Thanks in advance!
notimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 11:44 AM   #10
bear4hunter
Addict

If you turn wireless of, you get no updates
but can't buy books from your device or send them from the website to your device

I googled long enough: there really seems no way of downgrading !?
Old 07-29-2010, 12:28 PM   #11
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathrsa View Post
My k2i updated to 2.5.6 today, and I still have Internet access in South Africa. I have had it since I got my kindle in April
Schweeet!! Good to know - just turned my wireless on - hope it updates soon
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:35 PM   #12
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
For those that wanted to know why 2.5.4 was a 30MB file yet didn't seem to do much... I've no idea, but I have noticed one thing... the keyboard interrupts (the actual action that a keyboard key does... for the newbies) are a hell of a lot quicker I've noticed. They were a bit sluggish before (noticed it most when putting in my power-on password... I'd have to slow down for my kindle to catch up), but now they are a lot more responsive to my speed :-)
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
Balerion
Connoisseur
Balerion began at the beginning.

Device: K2i K3w
Quote:
Originally Posted by rapidblue View Post
Schweeet!! Good to know - just turned my wireless on - hope it updates soon
Hey Rapidblue, thought you should know... our Kindles automatically check for update and download them as soon as the wireless is turned on. They then install the next time the Kindle goes into standby. So its not really a matter of hoping that it updates soon, more so the time it takes for the file to come through the whispernet.

Unless ofcourse you were referring to the batch release and you're just waiting for your Kindle to get it.... in which case... sorry... and I've just made an ass of myself :-S

Just got 2.5.6 after leaving the wireless on for a couple of minutes and then checking the menu link for the update... it only took 10 seconds to install, so just a bug fix obviously, and yes, my free web browsing is still working here in Australia

Last edited by Balerion; 07-29-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Balerion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:48 PM   #14
rapidblue
Connoisseur
rapidblue began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 / Kindle Voyage / Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balerion View Post
Hey Rapidblue, thought you should know... our Kindles automatically check for update and download them as soon as the wireless is turned on. They then install the next time the Kindle goes into standby. So its not really a matter of hoping that it updates soon, more so the time it takes for the file to come through the whispernet.

Unless ofcourse you were referring to the batch release and you're just waiting for your Kindle to get it.... in which case... sorry... and I've just made an ass of myself :-S

Just got 2.5.6 after leaving the wireless on for a couple of minutes and then checking the menu link for the update... it only took 10 seconds to install, so just a bug fix obviously, and yes, my free web browsing is still working here in Australia
Just turned my wireless on - will see if it pulls down the update (I'm still on 2.5.3)
In the past I've had some updates come through on their own, some not...
We'll see
rapidblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #15
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
The new Kindle seems to have some exciting new PDF features (hightlights and note taking, among others).

Could you please check if these come with 2.5.6?

Thanks.
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote