Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-21-2010, 02:24 AM   #1
larkahn
larkahn began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3/Galaxy A31 phone/Galaxy Tab S6 Lite tablet
Netbook Issue -- Underpowered

When using Calibre with my Toshiba netbook, 1) Calibre doesn't detect the USB connection 2) When I try to "save as", Calibre either hangs or is very slow.

I also have issues with the netbook taking a long time to detect the Nook, or to even navigate through Windows Explorer. It takes a long time for Adobe Digital Editions to detect the Nook, but it's either slow or hangs when transferring a book to the Nook from within.

To make a long story short, these are not Nook or Calibre issues. When I called Nook support, they agreed that the netbook (Atom processor) is underpowered (current-wise, not processor-wise). I'm looking into whether a Y-connector (the micro USB into the Nook with 2 USB plugs going into the computer) will boost the power.
larkahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 03:04 AM   #2
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
If you're sure it's a power-related issue, why not try a powered USB hub? That's sure to work, while a 2-to-1 USB cable (does such a thing even exist outside of special-use applications) probably won't.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddos View Post
If you're sure it's a power-related issue, why not try a powered USB hub? That's sure to work.
I have to agree with the powered hub idea.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 06:01 AM   #4
larkahn

Among the reasons and reluctance for trying to hub approach is 1) I bought the netbook not for it's power, but for mobility, and a hub would be just one more thing to carry around 2) Not all devices work with hubs -- some must be connected into a direct USB port of a computer. I am, of course, willing to try the hub approach.

Regarding the Y-connector, I have a Y-connector mini USB to 2 USB plugs which some underpowered external hard drives use (e.g. a 1.8 inch 120 gb drive). All that is necessary to try this approach is to go to Radio Shack which has a female mini USB-male micro plug adapter.
Old 07-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkahn View Post
Regarding the Y-connector, I have a Y-connector mini USB to 2 USB plugs which some underpowered external hard drives use (e.g. a 1.8 inch 120 gb drive). All that is necessary to try this approach is to go to Radio Shack which has a female mini USB-male micro plug adapter.
Since you have the cable, get an adapter and give it a go.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 12:35 PM   #6
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Many USB powered external optical drives designed for netbooks and laptops come with a Y cable that plugs into two USB ports so they draw enough power to run the drive.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 12:51 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Many USB powered external optical drives designed for netbooks and laptops come with a Y cable that plugs into two USB ports so they draw enough power to run the drive.
And many powered USB Hubs supply a wall wart only good enough to power ONE port device (500mA)
The specification is 500mA maximum PER port. Any device that can not do this should have their USB logo invalidated
Some devices now support USB+power (originally created for the POS industry, More 5V and 12V(green coded plug) and even 24V (Red Coded plug) for power hungry accessories. Expecting 2 USB ports to share nicely is naive design.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
And many powered USB Hubs supply a wall wart only good enough to power ONE port device (500mA)
The specification is 500mA maximum PER port. Any device that can not do this should have their USB logo invalidated
Some devices now support USB+power (originally created for the POS industry, More 5V and 12V(green coded plug) and even 24V (Red Coded plug) for power hungry accessories. Expecting 2 USB ports to share nicely is naive design.
I never said it was the greatest design since flush toilets. But most newer computers can put out more juice in the USB than the older ones did. Manufactuers of peripherals like the optical drive I have for my netbook want to capitalize on that added power to increase speed, etc. (nothing wrong with that; it's called progress). The double USB cable is an inexpensive kludge to maintain compatability with older machines or ones that have less power by design, like netbooks.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Be careful using Y cables or multiple power connections on devices that were not designed for it. It is easy to burn things up (I have seen it done). The problem is that the devices are not designed to properly isolate one power supply from the other. If the ground (earth) leads are not properly isolated, then you get 'neutral fault' short-circuits that will burn up power supplies and the devices connected to them faster than you can say 'boo'.

Some of you who have played with building-to-building cat-5 network cables might have seen this phenomenon in a slightly different setting -- ground differentials. I have been thrown across a room by touching one end of a grounded cable that was plugged into a switch in another building. Not at all fun.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 01:05 AM   #10
larkahn

A USB hub or Y connector did not help. Since I began to have trouble with slower access of some other USB devices, I suspected an OS problem. I did a system recovery on the Toshiba netbook and now there are no problems. I probably loaded in too many apps and something caused a conflict somewhere. Problem solved. I can access the Nook directory easily, Calibre detects it, as does Adobe Digital Edition.
Old 07-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by larkahn View Post
Problem solved. I can access the Nook directory easily, Calibre detects it, as does Adobe Digital Edition.
Excellent! Thanks for the update.