Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #1
originl
originl began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-950
eWeek PDF Magazine - How does it look on DXG? (cross-post from Onyx Boox forum)

Hi -

First off, I have posted essentially the same post over at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...26#post1018026 with the exception of instead of "How does X look on Boox", this is "How does X look on DXG?"

Now...I realize this is very selfish of me; however, I've read around a lot on this forum and have found helpful screenshots/videos that others have taken of Comic Books/ACN-formatted PDFs so I'm hoping that maybe someone can take the time to help me (and perhaps help someone in the future who is reading)...

I am looking into purchasing a Kindle DX Graphite due to its above-average screen and that it is PDF "capable". Recognizing that its capabilities are limited when it comes to PDFs, I am concerned as a good portion of the PDFs that I'd be reading are magazines.

I am curious if anyone can download this to your device and show me screenshots so that I may get an idea for how large the screen is as it compares to the size (physically and storage size wise).

In particular, I am curious about the following pages:
  • page 10 - because it has some pictures and 3 columns of text
  • page 18 - because 3 column but also due to bottom pane of text
  • page 34 - because curious how large the image in upper right appears -- mainly zoomed in
  • page 41/42 - due to the color backgrounds
  • page 19 - because bottom right link "http://tinyurl.com/2wmx3xy", does that link work? What does the resulting page look like? (after you accept tinyurl's page... the destination will be an eweek url)

You may obtain the PDF from a computer at:
http://www.eweek-digital.com/eweek/ and then clicking in upper right to "Download", then again for "PDF". Alternatively, you may direct download from http://www-cdn.eweek-digital.com/ewe...0100719-dl.pdf (I read there is a PDF download hack, but unsure if it still works, so if you do direct download, I'd be curious if you are successful at downloading directly from the DXG -- I assume it would be just fine, but one never knows!)

*WARNING* The PDF is approximately 27.3MB in size; so how long the device takes to open the PDF is also an interest.

In the end, I'm debating between Kindle DX Graphite and the bebook neo/onyx boox 60. Obviously the larger screen of DXG would be ideal; however, I also like storage card and wifi options (as well as epub, etc.). But, if the 6" screen + PDF use case doesn't work out, then DX is only current option aside from a Spendy, Rare, No Support (these days) iRex.

Thank you for any assistance, words of wisdom, or general comments.

Much appreciated!
originl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 10:43 PM   #2
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
I will do it. Give me about 20 minutes to upload the pictures.
M_Agnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2010, 11:30 PM   #3
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs
M_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-booksM_Agnum has learned how to read e-books

Ok, each page turn takes about 10 seconds.

I attempted to download the PDF from the Kindle but that did not work.

Also, no links are clickable on the PDF.

The lighting in my room is pretty poor right now, so I did screencaps using the Kindle. Hopefully these help and I will try and get some actual pictures if you want.
Attached Files
File Type: zip DX PDF.zip (653.3 KB, 284 views)
Old 07-21-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
originl

M_Agnum -

Thank you *very* much for taking the time out to accomplish all of that for me!

Two follow-up questions:
  1. Would you say that the 10 seconds per page turn is (too) painful?
  2. What scaling mode is that on the DXG? Is it Fit-to-Screen, 100%, etc.?

The 10 seconds sounds painful, but then again, so is carrying around so many books (and magazines to an extent) that are readily available in PDF or Kindle form. So I'll have to weigh that into my decision. I don't think I expected it to take longer than 5 second.

I tihnk the screencaps are sufficient. I'm displaying/reading your screencaps on a small 12.1" widescreen laptop and if the screencaps look anything like they do on the Kindle, the font size and layout is extremely easy to read.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
This certainly makes me lean toward the DX Graphite (for better or worse).
Old 07-21-2010, 12:36 AM   #5
M_Agnum
Bezos > Jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by originl View Post
M_Agnum -

Thank you *very* much for taking the time out to accomplish all of that for me!

Two follow-up questions:
  1. Would you say that the 10 seconds per page turn is (too) painful?
  2. What scaling mode is that on the DXG? Is it Fit-to-Screen, 100%, etc.?

The 10 seconds sounds painful, but then again, so is carrying around so many books (and magazines to an extent) that are readily available in PDF or Kindle form. So I'll have to weigh that into my decision. I don't think I expected it to take longer than 5 second.

I tihnk the screencaps are sufficient. I'm displaying/reading your screencaps on a small 12.1" widescreen laptop and if the screencaps look anything like they do on the Kindle, the font size and layout is extremely easy to read.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
This certainly makes me lean toward the DX Graphite (for better or worse).
The 10 seconds is a little long, though you would get used to it. For some reason though, it takes a lot longer than all my other PDFs, which are comparable in size.

The pictures you viewed were fit to screen on the portrait mode. When you set it to landscape, the text and pictures are bigger but it only displays one half of the page at a time.

I personally love it. I do a lot of pleasure reading with Kindle Store/.mobi books as well as a lot of work reading such as papers and textbooks. Works great either way! I end up pretty much using it all day long.
Advert
Old 07-21-2010, 12:59 AM   #6
originl

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Agnum View Post
The 10 seconds is a little long, though you would get used to it. For some reason though, it takes a lot longer than all my other PDFs, which are comparable in size.

The pictures you viewed were fit to screen on the portrait mode. When you set it to landscape, the text and pictures are bigger but it only displays one half of the page at a time.

I personally love it. I do a lot of pleasure reading with Kindle Store/.mobi books as well as a lot of work reading such as papers and textbooks. Works great either way! I end up pretty much using it all day long.
Hm, that is interesting but very encouraging that your other PDFs are comparable in size but faster to render.

Thank you again for all of your fast responses and taking the time to actually download/display/screencapture for me. Makes me want to buy a DX Graphite and worst case scenario is that I return it within 30 days!