Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 09:31 PM   #1
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
One Kobo - two PC OS?

Wondering whether anyone else is using different PCs with different operating systems for their Kobo?

I run XP at home (all services packs up to date) and Windows 7 at work. For various reasons I have connected my Kobo to both machines. Last time I connected it to the XP PC to charge it up, the PC did not recognise the Kobo and it went into a flashing red light, screen blinking mode (for me that equalled panic!) When I disconnected, I had a blank screen and couldn't turn it on, reset or anything. The word "bricked" came to mind!

Took it to work next day with the intention of ringing Angus and Robertson's help line, decided to plug it into Windows 7 laptop and all was good again....

So, has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Should I stick with just one Operating System?

Thanks in advance.
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 11:02 PM   #2
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
I don't know why your Kobo behaved so peculiarly, but if it helps, I've connected the Kobo to both Vista 64bit and 7 64bit on different PCs multiple times with little to no problems.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
JPenguin
Connoisseur
JPenguin began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo EReader, Kobo for Palm Pre
I've used my Kobo on an XP machine and 2 different Ubuntu 10.04 machines so I don't think 1 machine/1 OS is the issue. Perhaps reach out to one of the Kobo employees here on MobileRead, they might have an idea of what the screen flashing means and can help.

When you plugged it into your Win 7 machine was everything exact as it was before or did you sync it again before disconnecting? Do you know if perhaps all the files disappeared off the Kobo, maybe a file system got corrupted or something?
JPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
littleredplanet
littleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enoughlittleredplanet will become famous soon enough

Device: kobo
I move my Kobo between an Ubuntu linux laptop, Ubuntu linux PC and a Windows XP PC with no problems.
littleredplanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 07:35 PM   #5
SageTracey
Enthusiast
SageTracey began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
Thanks everyone. I didn't sync on my Windows 7 laptop, just charged the Kobo. Found I hadn't lost any content, just a couple of bookmarks. Must say I am a little hesitant to plug it back into my XP PC!
SageTracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert