Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-18-2010, 04:53 PM   #1
helene78
helene78 began at the beginning.

Device: cybook Opus
Question Merging epub files ? how to ?

Hi, I'm a big fan of SF short stories, that I get from Gutenberg.... but to make it easier to read, I'd like to assemble them (merge them) into sort of Anthologies (by themes or authors, or original magazine...)

How can I do that with Calibre ? or is it impossible ? I tried to do it with Sigil, but could not import other epub files ?

Should I start from html files ?

Thank you for any help, and thank you to Kovid Goyal and Valloric for their splendid job on Calibre and Sigil, which are my favorite tools now...

Helene
helene78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by helene78 View Post
I'd like to assemble them (merge them) into sort of Anthologies (by themes or authors, or original magazine...)
It's an editing function. That's not really what Calibre is designed for. If you have it in html, you can read this.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-18-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by helene78 View Post
Hi, I'm a big fan of SF short stories, that I get from Gutenberg.... but to make it easier to read, I'd like to assemble them (merge them) into sort of Anthologies (by themes or authors, or original magazine...)

How can I do that with Calibre ? or is it impossible ? I tried to do it with Sigil, but could not import other epub files ?

Should I start from html files ?

Thank you for any help, and thank you to Kovid Goyal and Valloric for their splendid job on Calibre and Sigil, which are my favorite tools now...

Helene
Starson has the basics down solid.

Combining 2 documents wold probably be make a HASH out of the styles used.
Both original documents would need to 1) use the exact same Style sheet (or subset) or Mutually exclusive tags .
The rest, as Starson put it, is an editing Exercise
Edit the Master Stylesheet or correct an add one.
According to the best practices, I am reading. Lean, Mean Stylesheets are the goal for fast rendering.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:34 AM   #4
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
You could also try an epub editor like Sigil. You'll still have all of the same style-related issues to sort through manually, but the output will be an epub you can just load directly into Calibre rather than having to do a conversion from HTML.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:22 AM   #5
Banana333
Knucklehead!
Banana333 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad, Iphone, Kindle, Nook
Did you ever find out the answer to this?

I have 14 epub files all using identical style sheets that need to be combined into 1 epub file. What is the easiest way to do this? I am, of course, using both Calibre and Sigil and know that it is not possible to do it easily with either of these tools. Is there an additional tool that you know of to make this process easy? If not, is there any simple way of doing this short of recreating the entire thing?
Banana333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-24-2010, 11:30 AM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Banana333 View Post
Did you ever find out the answer to this?

I have 14 epub files all using identical style sheets that need to be combined into 1 epub file. What is the easiest way to do this?
Look at the link in Post #2. I'd unzip the EPUBs, make a master index.html as in that link, and drag it to Calibre. Test and edit as needed and Convert to EPUB.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
assemble, calibre, epub files, merge, sigil