Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-14-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Achilles
Enthusiast
Achilles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Unhappy RTF to HTML losing justification.

Hey people, I'm trying to convert an RTF to MOBI and the RTF to HTML conversion is losing all justification. All my centered and right aligned text is now left aligned. I know it's a bug in the RTF to HTML conversion as I've looked at the debug folders and it shows up in the very first html file in the Input folder.

Can someone (Kovid?) help me in solving this issue? I know the bug has been around for at least 6 months, as that was the last time I tried this procedure... I was hoping it would have magically fixed itself by now

Attached is a very simple RTF created in WordPad that illustrates the issue.

I'm using Calibre version 0.7.8

Thanks!
Attached Files
File Type: rtf RTF_Test.rtf (523 Bytes, 205 views)
Achilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Opena ticket and attach your file, forum posts get lost.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 11:26 AM   #3
Achilles
Enthusiast

All these bugs are related to the RTF input plugin and have not been fixed:

http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5056
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5055
http://bugs.calibre-ebook.com/ticket/5060

Is there some way to escalate them to a higher priority or to recategorize them so they're not ignored because they deal with LRF?

Thanks!
Old 07-14-2010, 11:33 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Priorities are meaningless, calibre development is done by volunteers, which means that tickets get fixed if a calibre developer feels like fixing them.

I personally care very, very little for RTF (never use it). It is a very poorly designed format, so fixing bugs in it is difficult. As a result, RTF Input/RTF output related bugs tend to languish.

What's needed is a developer that actually uses RTF, unfortunately, no such beast seems to exist
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 01:46 PM   #5
Achilles
Enthusiast

I'm on the lookout for a different RTF to HTML converter then I guess...
I've found this one:
http://www.sageshome.net/Soft.php#rtf2html

Which shows promise and outputs REALLY clean HTML, but it seems to convert all line breaks to <br> instead of proper <p> tags...

Gonna keep looking for the perfect converter...
Advert
Old 07-14-2010, 03:08 PM   #6
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
What's needed is a developer that actually uses RTF, unfortunately, no such beast seems to exist
I occasionally use rtf. I've got a very old PDA (with buttons) that I really like. It's got an old version of a free reader (uBook) that handles txt and rtf well. I like real buttons, as my fingers don't hide the text I'm reading. Mostly, I read txt on it, as I have lots of very old txt format books, but it's sometimes nice to see some of the formatting available in rtf. OTOH, I know nothing of the rtf format itself, and only a little of the Calibre conversion process.

Even if I decided to tackle rtf conversion issues, it would be low on my priority list.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Clara,Clara Colour
Try this html file. Converted with OpenOffice.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RTF_Test.zip (760 Bytes, 164 views)
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #8
Achilles
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Try this html file. Converted with OpenOffice.
Not bad. The HTML is a bit ugly, but at least it's keeping everything... I'll give that a shot on my document.

I also discovered TextEdit on the Mac, which saves out REALLY clean HTML complete with a stylesheet which makes editing the HTML quite a bit easier... Unfortunately, I only have access to a Mac at my office.
Attached Files
File Type: zip RTF_Test_TextEdit.zip (718 Bytes, 159 views)