Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-25-2010, 12:36 AM   #1
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
flash poll on gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/5546523/question-...orth-it-to-you

gizmodo has a daily poll on flash on mobile devices.. interested parties might want to go cast a vote..

latest results, 50% don't want it, 38% do. to be honest I'm surprised that many voted No, I expected it to be less myself.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 12:42 AM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I voted yes--but in hindsight I should have refrained. I'll probably never own a smart phone, so it's pretty moot to me.

I want flash on any computer or tablet I buy as it's still prevalent on a lot of sites I use. But moot for me on portables--and even if I got a smart phone I wouldn't watch video, play games, etc. on it as I hate trying to do stuff like that on tiny screens.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 01:15 AM   #3
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
I voted yes, but I think just like everything else, make it an option. Heck, make it default to off if they want.

While there's plenty of Flash-based stuff I don't care about, I hit two shopping sites on the iPad in the last two days that had major Flash components. I had the choice of pretending not to care, or pulling out the MBP. The 17" monstrosity saved the day...OK, that's an exaggeration, but seriously, the only times I've needed to use it in the last 15 days were for Flash based games I refuse to give up, sites like those two I was shopping at, and to wrestle with adding a backup server and printer to our home wireless setup. EVERYTHING else I've done has been iPad based. Still, it's going to take time for the world to come around fully to HTML5. Meanwhile, there's still a lot programmed for Flash.

I wish there was "an app for that". But I'm not holding out hope.
VictoriaP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

the problem with making it an option, is if 50% of the people leave it off (going by poll numbers) then was it worth their resources in developing it? let's face it, flash is primarily used for advertising. yes those free games are fun, but they are backed by the advertising that funded the development of that game.

so, is it worth only reaching 50% of eyeballs creating a flash ad, or going with admob or iad and reaching more? I'd be going with whatever could get me the most viewers.

have to wonder if this is part of why jobs doesn't want flash on the phone. flash iads will drag down performance. people will complain about a poor user experience, which reflects badly on the iPhones capabilities then. go with flash less ads and keep good performance while still reaching those eyeballs.

it's all about the money...
Old 05-25-2010, 09:27 AM   #5
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
the problem with making it an option, is if 50% of the people leave it off (going by poll numbers) then was it worth their resources in developing it?
Developing what?
I'm sure Adobe would be very happy to do the development required, if Apple would let them.
Plus it isn't exactly a neutrally worded poll, is it?
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
I went with no. I've been using the iPhone for over 2 years without it and don't miss it at all.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 AM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books

developing ads.. is an advertiser going to sink money into developing ads that are only going to be seen by 50% of users (flash required).. or ads that are going to be seen by 100% (non-flash ads)?
Old 05-25-2010, 10:33 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
developing ads.. is an advertiser going to sink money into developing ads that are only going to be seen by 50% of users (flash required).. or ads that are going to be seen by 100% (non-flash ads)?
I'm not sure where this ads red-herring came from?
There are websites that use flash.
They do not work on the iPad.
If flash was allowed on the iPad, they would work.
Plus, iAds aren't going to do anything for banner ads on webpages, they are for in-app use.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:44 AM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
As one of the comments said, people want the choice to have Flash ro not to have Flash and I agree 100% with that. Give us the choice and let us decide if we want it or not. Don't let some corporate bozo tell us what we want.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 10:54 AM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I think its great that people have a choice right now, and can vote with their wallets.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2010, 11:36 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books

ads are hardly a red-herring for flash. who do you think pays for your farmville? they don't develop the applications, host them on servers, bandwidth for the users, all out of the kindness of their hearts. yes there's a lot of non-flash use, but in the end, flash is bought and paid for by all the flash ads out there.

right from the farmville ToS:
Quote:
"c) You and your activities on the Service will not:"
"xv) cover or obscure any notice, banner or advertisement on the Service;"
it's all about the advertising money..

no. iads isn't for web pages, it's for apps that apple sells to replace those flash games you're playing. user experience, mobile platform + flash = slow and people complain about poor performance and battery life. or play native games, faster performance, better battery life, less complaints and server up iads and keep the money.

as kjk said, you do have a choice.. buy a device that does what you want.

Last edited by scottjl; 05-25-2010 at 11:42 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:43 AM   #12
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
ads are hardly a red-herring for flash. who do you think pays for your farmville? they don't develop the applications, host them on servers, bandwidth for the users, all out of the kindness of their hearts. yes there's a lot of non-flash use, but in the end, flash is bought and paid for by all the flash ads out there.
And if a website converts to HTML5, suddently all those ads go away?
Flash is no more nor less ad-supported than any other technology.
It is a red herring, as is comparing it to the in-app iAds service.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:47 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander

Quote:
ads are hardly a red-herring for flashfree apps. who do you think pays for your farmville? they don't develop the applications, host them on servers, bandwidth for the users, all out of the kindness of their hearts. yes there's a lot of non-ad use, but in the end, flashfree apps is[are] bought and paid for by all the flashin-app ads out there.
Flash is no different than any other technology in that respect.
Old 05-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #14
scottjl
Reader of Books

never said those ads go away..

my point is.. do i spend XXX dollars to develop flash ads that are only seen by 1/2 the market space, or XXX dollars that are seen by everyone (html5)? my money goes with html5.

flash exists primarily as a vehicle for pushing ads, it's why people spend money on it, to deliver more than static or animated gif advertising. any other use of flash (like developing games like farmviille) is just an extra point. no one goes out and spends money on flash training, adobe products to develop flash applications, servers, hosting, just to bring you farmville. they do it so they can deliver flash ads to you, and farmville is what gets you to come to their site and look at their ads.

in any event. gizmodo has a pretty tech-savvy crowd, and 49% of them are saying they do not care for flash on their mobile units. a pretty significant number.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #15
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Interestingly they also have an article there now on how to use Google Chrome to turn off Flash and Siverlight ads selectively:

http://lifehacker.com/5547211/fix-th...-google-chrome

Apple's high profile decission to bar flash from the iPad is what people are talking about now, but blocking it on an individual basis is not a new thing by any means.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote