Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 05:55 PM   #1
Rojofo
Zealot
Rojofo began at the beginning.

Device: none
Red face Web to Sony reader?

Hi, I am a beginner using Calibre: this is my first time, so please forgive my great ignorance!
I have found an ebook on the web as an (enormous) web page. I would like to put this on my sony prs505. How do I do this?

I had thought of copying the web page as text (cut and paste) and putting it in Word and then saving it and consequently downloading this text document to the reader. This somehow seems over-complicated.

Is there some way to get the HTML page directly onto the reader using Caliber?
Could someone direct me to a page where I can learn to reformat the web page text if necessary?

Thank you once again, experienced users, for helping us neophytes!
Rojofo.
Rojofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #2
tulsa
Zealot
tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.tulsa has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2, Sony PRS 900
Do you have the URL to the webpage?
You could probably use your browser to save the page as HTML, and then import the HTML into Calibre, then convert it to sony's format.
I've never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've imported HTML books into my collection before and have converted them to epub with no issues.
tulsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Vienna01
Old Dog Learns New Tricks
Vienna01 doesn't litterVienna01 doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-500,PocketBook 301, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulsa View Post
Do you have the URL to the webpage?
You could probably use your browser to save the page as HTML, and then import the HTML into Calibre, then convert it to sony's format.
I've never tried that, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. I've imported HTML books into my collection before and have converted them to epub with no issues.
You may wish to make ePUB your personal standard target format.
Now because Sony is converting all their older models to handle ePUB, you can convert the HTML [web format]to the ePUB format for your Sony.

Some users find Sony readers display books more accurately using Sony's .LRF format. I have been well satisfied using Calibre to convert to ePUB for my Sony 500 [with its revised hardware]. I have made ePUB my personal standard.
Thinking Way Ahead:
Converting to ePUB format may provide you greater options to use software not yet created because ePUB is beginning to be a standard. Maybe in the future there will be applications for ePub targets that automatically create various types of analysis of book contents. [The kind of stuff you had to write for book reports/analysis in school.]
Vienna01 is offline   Reply With Quote