Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 10-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
If you posted your iLiad MAC address read this.

There is a potential flaw in the iDS protocol that can possibly be exploited by someone whom has your iLiad's MAC address.

If you have posted your iLiad's MAC address anywhere on the Internet you might want to go remove it.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 03:18 AM   #2
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
How's that gonna work? I assumed you have to supply email address and password to iDS before it let's you in.

On the other hand - there are just two bytes of freedom in the mac addresses. Having a script running 65000 connection attempts shouldn't be difficult, so it doesn't matter anyway if you posted the mac, right?
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 03:25 AM   #3
jęd
Evangelist
jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jęd has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024
There is a potential flaw in the iDS protocol that can possibly be exploited by someone whom has your iLiad's MAC address.

If you have posted your iLiad's MAC address anywhere on the Internet you might want to go remove it.
So... Have you informed Irex, or is this another bug you will keep to yourself...?
jęd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:44 AM   #4
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ali
How's that gonna work? I assumed you have to supply email address and password to iDS before it let's you in.

On the other hand - there are just two bytes of freedom in the mac addresses. Having a script running 65000 connection attempts shouldn't be difficult, so it doesn't matter anyway if you posted the mac, right?
Plus, the two bytes are distributed in consecutive order. You can find more about it here.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 04:45 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Scotty, the flaw you are speaking of could be seen as a flaw in the current implementation of the iDS. But since it's easy to guess given MAC addresses as they are distributed in consecutive order, there isn't any harm in posting your iLiad's MAC address. Of course you wouldn't want to share your user login/password with anyone.
Advert
Old 10-05-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Scotty, could you PM me with the details? I have spent quite a lot of time with the iDS and I don't see how someone could harmfully exploit iDS through someone's MAC address. Note that the addresses are really just a series of consecutive numbers, probably distributed in the order the iLiads were shipped.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic
Scotty, the flaw you are speaking of could be seen as a flaw in the current implementation of the iDS. But since it's easy to guess given MAC addresses as they are distributed in consecutive order, there isn't any harm in posting your iLiad's MAC address. Of course you wouldn't want to share your user login/password with anyone.
Alexander,

There are two weak things iRex is doing.

1. They are doing as Ali suggested to a posting I made ont he iRex forum: using the MAC as a unit identifier in a situation where a cryptographically secure key of much longer bit length should have been used.

2. They are using a very short number as the authentication token for the user's account, where they should have been using a cryptographically secure number of much longer bit length.

There are in fact fewer MAC's to iterate than suggested above. iRex seems to be using around 512 active MAC's.

However, MAC scanning isn't the exploit I was advising about.

The exploit I was speaking to is this. If someone can lookup your MAC a person can then use that known MAC to find your userid. Once they have your userid they own your iRex account. You can change your password, change your email address, but they still own your account and they can use it from anywhere.

Not an issue right now, but in the future, when say you can purchase things or move sensitive information through your iDS account... they will fit the definition of "ghost in the shell" as far as your iLiad is concerned.

So like I said above, if you posted your MAC, I recommend you erase it, purge the Google cache... because whatever iRex does, there will need to be a bridge to get to the new improved means. If you have picked up a ghost, they could possibly follow you through the bridge into the new scheme...
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Ok, I didn't find out how you can reverse the UserID through the MAC address, but yes, if you can do this, I agree, it's an unnecessary risk.

Thanks for the warning, scotty
Old 10-05-2006, 04:04 PM   #9
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
The exploit I was speaking to is this. If someone can lookup your MAC a person can then use that known MAC to find your userid. Once they have your userid they own your iRex account. You can change your password, change your email address, but they still own your account and they can use it from anywhere.
I'm so absolutely lost here... Could you give a few more details.

What userid is this? The email adress used in registration? Something else? How does the mapping MAC -> userid work?

Assume someone has my userid - what account can he take over? And how? And where?

Why are there no passwords involved? I figured that you need the password to log into iDS - at least it didn't work with a password typo in the Iliad's preferences.

What secure keys? I always assumed that a pair of unsecure ID and secret password is a secure key.

Last edited by ali; 10-06-2006 at 07:33 AM.
ali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:04 AM   #10
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I don't know what the mentioned userid is, too.
Your iLiad has a given MAC-Address, you haven choosen an username [email-account address] & a password for your MyiRex-Account.
The name in iLiad Settings [1st of 3 fields] is chooseable freely [not used in IDS].
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 03:21 PM   #11
TadW
Uebermensch
TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TadW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
It has to do with the Web2iDS tool Alex has posted some time earlier. A closer inspection reveals that one can do more with iDS than iRex probably had in mind. While there is currently nothing harmful really, if iRex plans to do more with iDS and doesn't change the way they authorize devices, then indeed it could be a problem.
TadW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #12
pdam
Groupie
pdam doesn't litterpdam doesn't litter

Device: iLiad, iPaq, Psion5&7, Blackberry
From the general users point of view (e.g. me and other less technically endowed readers of the forum) it would be great to get an idea of the risk - in terms of potential damage and likelyhood of occurance?

From what I have read here and at iRex, from what I know about the user interaction with iDS and the potential damage to the individual in real terms (assuming good practises like backing up and due dilligence) ... this is more of a technical issue and minor worry - right?
pdam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 04:16 PM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdam
...this is more of a technical issue and minor worry - right?
Yes (unless Scotty disagrees with me).