Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: In your opinion which nominated film deserve the title "Best Picture."
The Blind Side 1 7.14%
District 9 1 7.14%
An Education 0 0%
The Hurt Locker 0 0%
Inglourious Basterds 6 42.86%
Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire 0 0%
A Serious Man 2 14.29%
Up 3 21.43%
Up in the Air 1 7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
82nd Academy Awards

The 82nd Academt Awards will take place on March 7th this year.

"Question: Who is Eligible to Vote for the Academy Awards?

Answer: Voters must be members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences. Initial voting is restricted to members of the Academy branch concerned. For instance, when the first wave of ballots is mailed to all members of the Academy, only directors may nominate other directors. Once the first round of voting is done and the field has been narrowed to no more than five nominees in each category, except the Best Picture category, then all members of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences are allowed to vote for a winner in most categories, including Best Picture.

In 2009 the Best Picture category was raised from five final nominees to 10. All voting members of the Academy can vote for Best Picture in the preliminary and final rounds, and the preferential voting system will be used to make sure the voting members intentions are accurately represented."

http://movies.about.com/od/awards/f/oscars122504.htm
------------------------------------

That said let me just add that I think it would be pretty cool if we could have a vote to decide who WE THINK should win best picture. Don't worry about not having seen all of the films listed...I am sure that the people voting for the real thing didn't either.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
MY VOTE GOES FOR "MAMA MIA!"

I don't care if it WASN"T made in the proper time period.

BAH!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have seen most of the movies nominated and have to go with Inglourious Basterds.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #4
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Moon would be my pick, but sadly it wasn't nominated. Everything else on the list ranges from outright drivel to purposefully dull (The French bits of Basterds was good though, they should have gotten rid of the Basterds altogether and let me watch two hours of Mélanie Laurent )

Last edited by Moejoe; 02-11-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Deleted list, it's in the poll already :)
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:44 PM   #5
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
I'd probably go for Inglourious Basterds, but I have a strong vote from my wife and 13 year old boy for Up (which I haven't seen).
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #6
happy_terd
Banned

Up was actually a pretty good movie. I had to take my kids to go see it and actually ended up liking it. Has a few sad moments though. The old man's wife as a child reminds me of my oldest daughter quite a bit.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Up was actually a pretty good movie. I had to take my kids to go see it and actually ended up liking it. Has a few sad moments though. The old man's wife as a child reminds me of my oldest daughter quite a bit.
Well, it's out on DVD in 4 days or so, so I think I'll take a look at it.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:48 PM   #8
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
Up had one of the singularly most cruel and horrible first ten minutes of any film I think I might have ever seen. It was downright torturous to watch....and I nearly walked out after shedding one too many tears over that opening. What came after was good, but tainted by that horrible, horrible and manipulative opening (even more horrible now that I've had time to reflect) God damn but I hate it when cartoons pull a Bambi!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #9
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
I voted for Serious Man. Thought this was a great movie and also funny (but not in the usual way). I really liked how the characters were portrayed and the setting. Like Moejoe, my first preference would have been Moon if it was on the list; this is my favorite movie over the last twelve months.
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:55 PM   #10
Moejoe
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
I voted for Serious Man. Thought this was a great movie and also funny (but not in the usual way). I really liked how the characters were portrayed and the setting. Like Moejoe, my first preference would have been Moon if it was on the list; this is my favorite movie over the last twelve months.
Moon was such a brilliant find. It cost (relatively) a tiny amount to make, used models for effects, had only a handful of actors and still managed to engross me from start to finish with a human story and a character I cared for. They could make around 100 Moon-like films for the price of 1 Avatar and I wish they would.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
MY VOTE GOES FOR "MAMA MIA!"

I don't care if it WASN"T made in the proper time period.

BAH!
The band is outdated, but I dont think the film is.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809902249/info

I had to look this one up. I think I had this mixed up with that other musical "Rent." This whole time I was thinking "why does desertgrandma like it so much?"

Heh, guess the joke was on me.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #12
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I was a bit disappointed with 'Up', probably because it was overhyped. It wasn't bad, but it was no Wall-E .

District 9 was excellent; but I think Inglourious just edges it for my film of the year.

(The film I'm looking forward to seeing is 'A Prophet' - a lot of people have said that should have been Oscar nominated for best film, but it's just in the foreign film category.)

Last edited by Sparrow; 02-11-2010 at 05:10 PM.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
God damn but I hate it when cartoons pull a Bambi!
I nearly got thrown out of the Amberley RAAF Base theatre for laughing during Bambi at the relevant moment. It wasn't at the content, but at its intended emotional effect on the...us, young ones at the time.

Gods, I was a cynical basterd.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 11:54 AM   #14
happy_terd
Banned

Based off of this small sample Inglourious Basterds is going to win.
Old 02-12-2010, 12:07 PM   #15
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
I haven't seen any of them (hey this is reading forum) so I said the answer is "up in the air".

What?! That's a movie? darn it....
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
a happy_terd production, best picture, right to vote