Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-01-2010, 08:21 AM   #1
MLXXXp
Enthusiast
MLXXXp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nokia N800
Question Screen susceptibility to scratches

I recently bought an Aluratek Libre. I assume the jetBooks use the same screen.

This morning I noticed two small hairline scratches on the screen. At first I thought they were long strands of dust until I tried to brush them off.

I've tried to be careful not to touch the screen myself. Although I've shown off the reader to quite a few people, before handing it to them I've warned them that it doesn't have a touch screen and to keep their fingers off of it. I have no idea how or when the scratches occured.

Obviously not wanting to experiment, I'm wondering just how easily these screens scratch. The LCD probably uses glass but I suspect there is a plastic anti-reflective layer in front.

Anyone have any experiences to relate, or comments?

Thanks,
Scott
MLXXXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 09:37 AM   #2
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLXXXp View Post
This morning I noticed two small hairline scratches on the screen. At first I thought they were long strands of dust until I tried to brush them off.

Anyone have any experiences to relate, or comments?
I have had my Libre since Christmas and have had NO scratches. I have used the included case. Are you using a different case? Are you using the strap? If so, maybe the strap came into contact with the screen somehow. Just guessing!
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 10:21 AM   #3
heffe2001
Zealot
heffe2001 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage 3g
I bought one of those silicon covers for mine on ebay, and it came with a screen protector. I put the protector on, and so far no problems (it does make it much more reflective, but I don't plan on doing much reading outside, so it's not been a problem so far). I did remove the silicon cover tho, it attracts too much hair & dust, and it's too difficult to clean. No scratches so far, and at this point I'm not even using the slipcover that came with it (my wife uses it with her JBL).
heffe2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I've had to wash my screen several times now, but no scratches yet.
I tend to put mine either in case or other protective cover when not in use. (1$ photo album, just enough to keep the cats off it)
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 05:39 PM   #5
LS650
Enthusiast
LS650 is on a distinguished road

Device: Android, Jetbook Lite
No scratches yet. I also store mine in a cloth case when not in use.
LS650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2010, 08:49 PM   #6
gr8npwrfl
The Wizard of OZ
gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.gr8npwrfl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Jetbook Ipod Touch Wind Netbook
Use the right cloth

I use a lens cleaning cloth to clean my screeb. Other cloths can hang onto debris which can scratch the screen.
gr8npwrfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 PM   #7
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
I throw my JBL naked into my purse along with a wallet, checkbook, phone, pen, and my latest crochet project with at least 3-4 hooks, a box of pins and sewing notions, and a Gerber multitool in a belt pouch.

No scratches after two months.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:29 PM   #8
artifact
Addict
artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.artifact ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: jetBook (RIP), Kobo Touch
I never put my Jetbook original in a cover and toss it in a basket on the coffee table or a bin in the nightstand -- both full of various other non-soft random things tossed there.

Over a year now and no scratches on the screen. Dings on the case and buttons but the screen is fine.
artifact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:27 AM   #9
MLXXXp
Enthusiast
MLXXXp has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Aluratek Libre, Nokia N800
causticmuse, artifact and others,

Thanks for the replies. So I guess that whatever it was that created the two small scratches in my screen must have been quite sharp and hard. They're very small, so I generally don't notice them while reading. I always keep it in the protective case that came with it, when not in use.

It's good to know that I don't have to be overly cautious about protecting the screen, in the future.
MLXXXp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:50 PM   #10
docfrancov
docfrancov began at the beginning.

Device: Aluratek Libre Pro (Black)
Guys, I am thinking about buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Write...7437551&sr=8-3

Shall fit the 3x4 screen of my LibrePro.What do you think?
docfrancov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfrancov View Post
Guys, I am thinking about buying this:
http://www.amazon.com/Fellowes-Write...7437551&sr=8-3

Shall fit the 3x4 screen of my LibrePro.What do you think?
Personally, I haven't been a fan of screen protectors. Although, I caught the tail end of an electronics segment on tv about an iphone screen protector that "breathes" so any bubbles disappear overnight. Can't recall the company name.
Old 06-25-2010, 09:49 PM   #12
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Reasonable care, a wipe with a clean soft cotton cloth damp with water now and then.
Thats all I do, and I've not seen any big problems to date.

My wife carry's her's with here to work most days, just uses the case.
You could do it, but for me, I'll take as little as possible between my words and my eyes.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 12:01 PM   #13
docfrancov

So here to report that the screen protector fits like a glove...Perfect size and no need to cut or trim at all...Didn't change the screen visibility at all and feels like good protection to me...I've had a PDA for 10 o so year, so I have used this brand all along without any major problems...I know to some it is overkill, but if I feel that if the screen gets scratched, the visibility / readability will suffer!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:43 PM   #14
uRwhatUr
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by docfrancov View Post
So here to report that the screen protector fits like a glove...Perfect size and no need to cut or trim at all...Didn't change the screen visibility at all and feels like good protection to me
I know I stated that I wasn't a fan of these, but I got my son a new cell phone today and the exact same screen protectors came as a free accessory. So, I decided to use one. Your post is exactly my experience so far. I found that using a credit card to apply worked better than the cheap paper card supplied. I had VERY few bubbles to wrinkle out.

Karma to you for the follow up report.

Last edited by uRwhatUr; 07-05-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:37 AM   #15
docfrancov

I actually used one of the "old" cards that came with the Fellowes brand screen protectors. They are made out of plastic. I wouldn't dare to try using the cheap cardboard piece they send with them nowadays!