Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 01-17-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
4 hours and still disappointed

I'm on my second Cool-er. The first one developed an unfixable display problem - I returned it to where I purchased it, and received a replacement. That was just under 2 months ago.

Last night my cool-er was working perfectly, as I read an Adobe DRM ebook.

This morning, I read 2 pages, and then the display went blurry, lots of spurious lines, double blocks etc. I tried charging the battery more (it didn't need it but last time this helped) - display still worse. I tried turning it off and waiting a few hours - no improvement. I downloaded the latest firmware update and flashed the firmware. The first time the squiggles remained, and the cool-er didn't respond. The second time things were better, but the update hung on the 4th black trainline block. The third time things went great, but the update never finished. When I disconnected and turned on the cool-er, it had the new update number and seemed fine. I loaded a book - but as soon as I started to read, the display went blurry and I'm back to the original problem.

So, after 4+ hours of hassle, and a lot of disappointment, I'm returning my 2nd cool-er tomorrow and asking for a replacement.

I really like the Cool-er but it's so not reliable! The design is better than the others, and the plug and play ability enables loading personal documents which is super. But so far, reliability is a big problem.

Have I been unlucky, or are others having similar experiences.
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ugh

That doesn't sound good at all! I have not heard of this problem before, hopefully its an isolated incident.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 03:29 AM   #3
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
Argos replaced, without any hassle, the Cool-er with a lovely pink one (as all the silver ones were out of stock). It seems to be working fine - although it still had the old grey scale firmware on it.

I've now updated it to 1.12.9 and am happily reading again.

But, as the Argos staff repeatedly said, it's a very expensive piece of equipment to break down after less than 2 months.
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
jackau
Connoisseur
jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jackau has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-er / Mac Mini / Satio / Notebook
Quote:
Originally Posted by panda53 View Post
Argos replaced, without any hassle, the Cool-er with a lovely pink one (as all the silver ones were out of stock). It seems to be working fine - although it still had the old grey scale firmware on it.

I've now updated it to 1.12.9 and am happily reading again.

But, as the Argos staff repeatedly said, it's a very expensive piece of equipment to break down after less than 2 months.
I remember some one said Netronix product failure rate was pretty high!

So good luck on the new one. Currently, the device is doing very well for me reading books with only text (not PDF).

Asus just anounced more new devices, they got a 9 inch reader, Asus software support is not bad so lets see how Cool-er and Netronix stands up to the giant.

jackau is offline   Reply With Quote