Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 04:12 AM   #1
Bleumoon_Selene
Bleumoon_Selene began at the beginning.

Device: eBookwise 1150
Unhappy Windows will not recognize EBwise reader.

I got a used eBookwise 1150 for this past christmas.
I came home, plugged it in and the "new hardware" sign came up.

I decided to wait until I read the instructions properly.

After doing so I installed the drivers from the EBwise website and I could not get the the computer the reconize the device after that.

I tried uninstalling the drivers, different usb ports (all of them actually), we even reset the entire computer!

Perhaps you can help me figure out the problem? I would greatly appreciate it.

Upon checking the info on the device I found the previous owner's register ID and name in the device. I reset it and the info will not erase. Could this be part of the problem?

Thank you all very much!
Bleumoon_Selene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 12:07 PM   #2
surrealmind
Connoisseur
surrealmind began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color CM7, EB 1150, TC1100
Two issues here. First, concerning the user ID and name, did you follow this process to reset your device?

Quote:
4. Here is how to un-register (refurbish) your device when you sell it.

1. Power off the device
2. Hold down the previous page button (bottom button when held in left hand)
3. Power on device
4. Continue holding down the previous page until the eBook boots into the Bookshelf
5. Tap the Menu icon (the upper left "eBook guy" icon)
6. Tap the "info" soft menu item
7. Tap "more"
8. Tap "more"
9. Tap "refurbish"
10. Tap "yes"
This process should fully "reset" the device for you so that you can enter your own username. If this process doesn't work, you may have to contact customer service...or at least someone more knowledgeable on this board. By the way, the link for that information is from this site's wiki page on the eBookwise 1150: <https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EBookwise-1150>.

Now, that having been said, the old username should not affect the device's ability to connect to the eBookwise web server--it will just connect to the old user's bookshelf. You'll obviously want to resolve that issue as suggested above, but in the meantime you'll at least be able to verify that everything is working correctly with your device.

The tricky thing about connecting up the eBookwise is that the device is not accessible from the computer side like any normal USB hard drive would be. With the eBookwise driver installed, when you plug the eBookwise into the computer you should hear the normal Windows USB connect sound, but nothing else will happen. That's normal. Everything now must be done inside the eBookwise itself.

So, make sure your computer is hooked up to the Internet (I'm assuming it always is), plug in your eBookwise to the USB port, then power on the eBookwise. Hopefully you'll hear the connect noise. On the eBookwise itself, click the "Online Bookshelf" tab near the top of the screen. If everything is working correctly, this will bring up another list of books, some or all of which may already be on your device. This is good--this means your device is successfully connecting to the online bookshelf of the previous owner. If there's a checkmark in the circle next to the books listed, that means the book is already on your device. If there is no checkmark, you can click on it to download it to your device. That's how the online bookshelf works. Anyway, if this online bookshelf shows up, that means your device is working correctly. You just need to get your own username then. If you run into any problems, there may be special network settings you need to change. We can cross that bridge if we come to it.
surrealmind is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 09:35 PM   #3
Bleumoon_Selene

Thank you. I got the reader to reset it's info, but I think it's the network settings that are the problem. The device won't connect to a bookshelf. I have tried multiple times to get it connnected.
Old 01-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #4
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleumoon_Selene View Post
Thank you. I got the reader to reset it's info, but I think it's the network settings that are the problem. The device won't connect to a bookshelf. I have tried multiple times to get it connnected.
Try following the steps in this post to (re-)set your Network (Phone Connection) Settings properly for use with the ETI servers using your installed ETI USB driver.

By the way, references to GEBLibrarian can also be read as eBookwise Librabrian (the rebranded/same software sold by eBookwise.com)
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 05:29 AM   #5
Bleumoon_Selene

I am using a computer that does not have a 1.1 usb plug. Will the device not work on anything but a 1.1 usb port?

I contacted costumer support in December and they did not reply.

I appreciate all your help.
Advert
Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 AM   #6
shighfield
Groupie!? GROUPIE!?!?
shighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enoughshighfield will become famous soon enough

Device: EBW 1150, Kobo Touch
My computer only has USB 2 plugs as well and it works fine. They are backwards compatabile I believe.
shighfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:41 AM   #7
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleumoon_Selene View Post
I am using a computer that does not have a 1.1 usb plug. Will the device not work on anything but a 1.1 usb port?
Quote:
Originally Posted by shighfield View Post
My computer only has USB 2 plugs as well and it works fine. They are backwards compatabile I believe.
Yes, it works well with USB 2.0, but my post referred to someone who was having "major driver problems", so if 2.0 didn't work, then the only saving grace would have been to try 1.1 (it wasn't meant to be your first choice).

When troubleshooting, it's sometimes best to "think outside of the box" and try radical things in a effort to "fix" your problem (where ever that lies).

Last edited by nrapallo; 01-18-2010 at 11:23 AM. Reason: typo
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:46 AM   #8
surrealmind
Connoisseur

That's unfortunate customer service didn't reply; they've been really good for me so far...maybe they need another nudge.

Anyway, to make sure you have the right network settings, as nrapallo's linked post indicated, click the ebook icon on the top left of the screen, and select 'Settings.' Next, under 'Phone Connection' (I think that's what it's called, it's something like that--my wife is actually out with the device right now), make sure the boxes next to "Use HTTP proxy" and "Use proxy for USB" are unchecked (again, going from memory and nrapallo's linked post--they're near the bottom of that screen). They should be unchecked already, but the previous owner may have had them on.

I'm not sure which of the settings your reset will have wiped, but you'll probably need to re-enter your ebookwise information so the device knows what bookshelf to connect to. EBookwise has a good writeup on this process on page 6 of their .pdf here: <https://store.fictionwise.com/ebookw...tGuidev16f.pdf>. And have you registered with eBookwise.com yet? Even if you have, it might be worth it to start from scratch and set up a new bookshelf using the instructions on that .pdf page if you haven't purchased any books on your old account yet.

I'm trying not to assume anything here. Do you still have the USB driver installed, and does it make the connect noise when you plug in your reader and turn it on?
Old 01-18-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
XP compatable mode

Do you have the software set up to run in XP compatable mode? EB1150 is kinda funky because it reads it as a modem/networking type device instead of a USB storage type.

Hope you are able to figure it out!

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:11 AM   #10
Bleumoon_Selene

Both are unchecked. I do have the drivers and I do hear the noise, but I cannot get the device to connect to the site so that I can put/change info on the device.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Quote:
Both are unchecked. I do have the drivers and I do hear the noise, but I cannot get the device to connect to the site so that I can put/change info on the device.
Okay, the fact that your computer at least recognizes something is connected is a good sign. What happens when you click the ebook icon on the upper left of the screen and select "Bookstore"? Does it come up with a registration screen (with options letting you either create a new bookshelf or connect to an existing one), or does it drop down a box from the top that says it is trying to connect, and that eventually says "The connection to the eBook Network was not successful"? It would be very strange if, after having reset your device, you never found any screen to enter your information.

If you do get the "eBook Network was not successful" box at the top, here's what I would try first. Go through the "Refurbish" process one more time, then connect the eBookwise to your computer USB port. Next, go back into the bookshelf where it should now show the registration screen, and from here click "Create New Bookshelf." Complete the information and see what happens. If you still get connection errors, there may be either hardware problems or software issues with Windows. At that point, we may want to try something like ImpServe, but we can cross that road when get to it.
Old 01-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #12
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Something else occurs to me. If you have successfully entered your information into the device and are still having problems, it may be because you haven't registered the device itself with your account. This is a separate process from simply getting a username at eBookwise. Click on this link <http://www.ebookwise.com/servlet/mw?...ecureeti&si=43> and enter your eBookwise username and password. The next screen will instruct you on how to register the device itself, thus associating it with your account. This may open up things for you at last.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:11 PM   #13
Bleumoon_Selene

It says "Cable Plugged In, Waiting for Connection." and does [B]not[B] change.

We let it stay like that for about 30 minutes and it didn't change.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:51 PM   #14
surrealmind
Connoisseur

Quote:
It says "Cable Plugged In, Waiting for Connection." and does [b]not[b] change.

We let it stay like that for about 30 minutes and it didn't change.
Ooo, I haven't seen that before, and it doesn't look like a good thing. My first impression is uninstall the USB driver, reboot computer, reinstall the driver and then try again. I did a little digging and ETI apparently advises the same thing. From the ETI troubleshooting page (http://www.ebooktechnologies.com/support_eti2_trbl.htm):
Quote:
If you get this message for more than 10-15 seconds and nothing happens, check to be sure the USB cable is firmly connected to your ETI-2 and to your computer. If your device still does not establish a connection, turn off your eBook, then turn it on again. If there is still no connection, reboot your computer and reinstall the eBook USB Driver on your computer. If the trouble persists, please contact Customer Service at (310) 360-5669 or support@filamentbooks.com [for Filament Books' ETI-2] and support@ebookwise.com [for eBookwise-1150].
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 AM   #15
Bleumoon_Selene

Costumer Service here I come, I guess.

Thank you very much for your time.

I appreciate your patience with me.

Last edited by Bleumoon_Selene; 01-21-2010 at 05:44 AM.

Tags
help please, problem, thank you, usb, windows xp