Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
Has the DR1000 been abandoned?

No major (?) software updates since 6 months;

No improvements at all;

No announced Adobe supports;

No news at all and no roadmap;

...there will be a destination excepting for falling into oblivion?
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
The assumption is that the 800 and the 1000 would share most of the software as the hardware is fairly similar.

Now as the 800 still has not been released, it looks like they have had major issues with the Adobe RM support, let alone the annotation support that 1000 users will expect.

So most likely there will be no update till after the 800 is released. Hell could freeze over in the meantime.

Of course I could be wrong about everything I have just said.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
Warriah
Enthusiast
Warriah began at the beginning.

Device: Irex DR-1000S
You're right, but another assumption is that we have paid a LOT of bucks for a naturally fast-depreciating gizmo hoping to fully enjoy it also in its reasonable, predictable improvements; we have not paid developers to forget us (early adopters?) and focus on another product for so long.

Last edited by Warriah; 01-09-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Warriah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 09:42 PM   #4
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Poorly managed product development is one of the reasons most people love Irex. .
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:11 PM   #5
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Now as the 800 still has not been released, it looks like they have had major issues with the Adobe RM support
I saw that Adobe released an update a couple weeks ago that talked about changes for Barnes and Nobles support in the release notes, which the 800 is probably using.

Quote:
So most likely there will be no update till after the 800 is released.
That's my assumption as well.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-10-2010, 05:25 AM   #6
curbarthedog
Enthusiast
curbarthedog began at the beginning.

Device: Iliad
Well, my bet is that the company are about to fold. This is the only possible conclusion given the new product is nowhere near ready and that the DR1000 is still such a poor product. Shame really, if they only talked to their customers and kept them informed rather than trying to bluff them, it could be very different.

The only prospect for improvement is people like mackx who seem to be two or three steps ahead of iRex in terms of vision and application.
curbarthedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Jumpn Jack Flash
Lazy Git
Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.Jumpn Jack Flash is no ebook tyro.

Device: iRex DR800S
Quote:
Originally Posted by curbarthedog View Post
Well, my bet is that the company are about to fold.
Maybe, maybe not. Does anyone have any knowledge of there funding as I cannot see how they have had many sales over the last few months with the 800 debacle. Like who is going to buy an iliad with the 800 coming out and the 1000 switching to ADE.

The more long term issue for iRex is, how can they compete with the Chinese flood of devices.
Jumpn Jack Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:06 PM   #8
jboardman
Zealot
jboardman is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle, sony PRS900, Irex Iliad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumpn Jack Flash View Post
Maybe, maybe not. Does anyone have any knowledge of there funding as I cannot see how they have had many sales over the last few months with the 800 debacle. Like who is going to buy an iliad with the 800 coming out and the 1000 switching to ADE.

The more long term issue for iRex is, how can they compete with the Chinese flood of devices.
It seems (and I certainly HOPE not) that Irex is not able to release the DR800 for whatever reason, is having lots of problems with the DR1000 and has posted no new update for the Iliad in over a year. And NO NEWS whatsoever about the DR800. I think is might be vaporware.
jboardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 03:44 PM   #9
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jboardman View Post
It seems (and I certainly HOPE not) that Irex is not able to release the DR800 for whatever reason, is having lots of problems with the DR1000 and has posted no new update for the Iliad in over a year. And NO NEWS whatsoever about the DR800. I think is might be vaporware.
I think they already officially announced that they are abandoning the Iliad. They still sell it but they said they won't be releasing any new updates for it. The DR800 is supposed to take its place. Odd to continue selling a product you don't plan on supporting.
junkyardwillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:24 AM   #10
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I think Irex Tech can write a book on "How to kill a good thing". They were the pioneers in the market, they had a fantastic product for the time (Iliad), they designed it as an open platform lightyears ahead of the competition, and then they went ahead and ruined it ...
Sad, sad, sad ...
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:57 AM   #11
physics@war
Connoisseur
physics@war began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy

Holy cow,

I really hope Irex won't fold. I and many other supporters of the DR1000 has spend so much bucks on the device. Now if they announce to close down, I am a sad man.

So far as I see, the DR1000S is the only ebook reader on market that has the writing ability.
physics@war is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by physics@war View Post
So far as I see, the DR1000S is the only ebook reader on market that has the writing ability.

If you are not fussed with the screen size, there's the Only Boox device which has excellent writing capabilities (6" screen though).
Of course there is a whole heap of others as well (PRS-600, PRS-900, etc).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I can confirm that writing on the screen of the PRS-600 works extremely well; it's what I use to proof-read and mark corrections, for all my eBooks.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote