Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 09:26 AM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Blio site is up

The site was updated this morning in anticipation of CES. You can't actually do anything other than wander around. The reader software is not yet available for download, and the Blio bookstore won't open until February.

But the site does list the hardware and software needs for Blio. The minumum requirement is WinXP, Vista, or Win7 on a 1.6GHz CPU. There is no mention of OSX or any hand held devices. Given the OS requirements, a dedicated reader is out of the question.

The FAQ hints at some of the things you can do with Blio: bookmark, TTS, and annotate with notes, images, and audio/video clips. Blio will also support direct download of content from such sites as PG, Feedbooks, and Munsey's.

http://blioreader.com/

I'm somewhat relieved. With all the rumors flying around before the announcement, I was worried that a new format will add to the tower of e-babel. I don't think we'll have to worry about the Blio doing that. Given the high support requirements, it probably won't catch on and hopefully die a quiet death in a couple years.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
You have to download and install an application to browse, purchase, and access content instead of doing the same thing over a web page. I never liked iTunes and Sony has a similar thing with their readers. Blah.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 09:59 AM   #3
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Certainly looks like a desktop/laptop only application. Rather like the other desktop computer applications like Mobipocket, Stanza and such - without the handheld device support.

Also looks somewhat closed - you'll have to buy from Blio's shop.
... but there's this:
"• Can I download free Google, Gutenburg and Feedbooks with Blio?
Yes. To download free, public domain books from Google, Gutenburg, and FeedBooks, just go to the file menu and click on the website you would like to download from. These websites provide over one million fiction, non-fiction, reference, textbooks, children’s books, scientific, medical, professional and educational books at no cost.
"

I wonder if that means you can add your own files (in recognised formats, whatever they are) - or just add books from certain sites that are somehow integrated with Blio.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Whilst this looks like a laptop desktop software lets not forget it is also..

Tablet and slate software, i would imagine there will be a big push on that side of things.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:44 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
The FAQ lists "mobile devices" as a reading platform.
Odds are there will be Blio reader apps for more than just Windows.

The way I read it, it sounds like it is an attempt at "universal" Reader Software for existing formats.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2010, 06:16 PM   #6
davidspitzer
So Many Words to Read!
davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.davidspitzer reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle
Okay maybe I'm being obtuse

I am not in the crowd that likes to sit in front of my PC and read at length - It really just sounds like a pdf file (preserves formatting, layout etc), but at least a pdf i kind transport to my reader.

I tend to think this will go absolutely nowhere
davidspitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:23 PM   #7
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
It will support iPhone/iPod at launch.
Mac suport later.
CNET report has video and details.
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-31045_1-104...dStoriesArea.1
It looks like it will be riding the coming wave of tablets and color readers.

It's a lot earlier in the ebook game than most people realize.
This might become the new darling of the BPH's...
<shrug>
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 06:26 PM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Not sure what 'BPH' mean, but I can imagine something like this could work well on a tablet once the hardware catches up and gets fast, light and energy-preserving.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 07:00 PM   #9
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
Once tablets/slates are the size and weight of our ereading devices then they will become widely accepted.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 02:38 PM   #10
Ignatz Mouse
Zealot
Ignatz Mouse doesn't litterIgnatz Mouse doesn't litterIgnatz Mouse doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch, Galaxy Note
Does anyone heard something new about Blio ?

We are in June, now, and their site is still saying "Coming soon"...

I know, "Soon" is not very precise...
Ignatz Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignatz Mouse View Post
Does anyone heard something new about Blio ?

We are in June, now, and their site is still saying "Coming soon"...

I know, "Soon" is not very precise...
I checked at BEA 2010, and they said July.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote