Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 08:16 PM   #1
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Ariel? Anyone?

Anyone here read Ariel back in the early 80's?

I just picked it up in its mass market paperback reissue. So far I'm pleasantly surprised and definitely enjoying it. They just reissued it on the heels of the "Elegy Beach" hardcover release, which apparently is the first sequel in over 20 years.

Apparently it's a cult classic. Don't quite know how I missed it the first time.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 08:17 PM   #2
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've honestly never even heard of it. What's it about?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 08:31 PM   #3
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Basically - one day the world Changed. The old rules of physics and technology no longer applied. Guns no longer go bang, cars no longer drive, electricity doesn't work, etc. etc.

Then mythical creatures start roaming the destroyed cities and people learn to live by new rules.

I guess it's best described as "Post Apocalyptic Fantasy"

Here's the FW Synopsis.

Quote:
At four-thirty one Saturday afternoon the laws of physics as we know them underwent a change. Electronic devices, cars, industries stopped. The lights went out. Any technology more complicated than a lever or pulley simply wouldn't work. A new set of rules took its place?laws that could only be called magic. Ninety-nine percent of humanity has simply vanished. Cities lie abandoned. Supernatural creatures wander the silenced achievements of a halted civilization. Pete Garey has survived the Change and its ensuing chaos. He wanders the southeastern United States, scavenging, lying low. Learning. One day he makes an unexpected friend: a smartassed unicorn with serious attitude. Pete names her Ariel and teaches her how to talk, how to read, and how to survive in a world in which a unicorn horn has become a highly prized commodity. When they learn that there is a price quite literally on Ariel's head, the two unlikely companions set out from Atlanta to Manhattan to confront the sorcerer who wants her horn. And so begins a haunting, epic, and surprisingly funny journey through the remnants of a halted civilization in a desolated world.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:05 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Have to confess that I've never heard of it, but it sounds like fun - I'll give it a go!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
Fledchen
Guru
Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.Fledchen invented the internet.

Device: PB360+, Sony950, VR Stream, iPod Touch, iPad
I remember reading a review of it a few months ago, but I could not find it in an accessible format. I bought the multiformat ebook from Fictionwise last night and look forward to reading it as soon as I clear my current books off of my reader.
Fledchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 04:15 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Sounds wonderful, and also available at Amazon......

http://www.amazon.com/Ariel-ebook/dp...2294052&sr=1-1
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:21 PM   #7
Krystian Galaj
Guru
Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.Krystian Galaj can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Bookeen Cybook
The world of Shadowrun is a similar thing... well, electronics etc. still work, but magic starts working again. Good for cyberpunk/magic novels.
Krystian Galaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 09:44 PM   #8
jaxx6166
Wizard

Were there Shadowrun books written? I only knew of the (bad) videogames and better pen and paper material.

You probably read the review on Cory Doctorow's Boing Boing. Apparently it's his guilty pleasure. I must confess, I picked the book up on a whim before even hearing of Cory reviewing it.

I was in Borders and I saw Elegy Beach in hardcover on the shelf. It looked pretty. So, I picked it up and found the first in the rerelease. It got a new home that day

So far I'm only on Chapter 7 but loving every minute of it. I've just got too much to read right now so I can't devote all my time to it
Old 12-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #9
Archergal5219
Semi-retired semi-hero
Archergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-booksArchergal5219 has learned how to read e-books

Device: Palm Zire71, EEE PC901, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post
*raises hand* I did. I had a paperback copy then. I re-read it last year when it came out free or cheap (I've forgotten now.) I liked all of it with except the ending, even though it's true to the legend, I guess.

Interesting fact: Steven Boyett is also DJ Steveboy, who puts out the Podrunner workout music mixes. That surprised the heck out of me when I found it out.
Archergal5219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:52 AM   #10
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxx6166 View Post

I just picked it up in its mass market paperback reissue. So far I'm pleasantly surprised and definitely enjoying it. They just reissued it on the heels of the "Elegy Beach" hardcover release, which apparently is the first sequel in over 20 years.

Apparently it's a cult classic. Don't quite know how I missed it the first time.

I ordered it from Fictionwise a few months ago, but yet to read it.

It's currently available from Fictionwise for $3.06 - if you're a Member and if you hurry.

Elegy Beach is the sequel to Ariel. ($8.48)

(Correction on price of "Ariel": Ficionwise is showing two copies, but one is hidden. If you click on the author, you will NOT see the cheaper one [that I purchased a while back] at the $2.55 price. I don't know the reason for this. Both copies by Boyett are showing different covers.)

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-01-2010 at 06:57 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:34 AM   #11
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I just read the description at FW. I don't know, the premis is kinda far-fetched for me. If electricity stopped working, I think that would affect our brains and bodily functions as well.....I know, I know....it's fiction....

Just download and read the sample from Amazon. Looks interesting.

Last edited by kennyc; 01-01-2010 at 07:40 AM.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote