Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-30-2009, 02:40 PM   #1
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-505; Motorola Droid
Giving epub a 2nd chance

So I decided to give the epub format a 2nd chance by downloading and reading Already Dead by Charlie Huston, which is currently free from Sony.

The spaces between paragraphs and lack of quotation marks in dialog is annoying, but it might just be this book. The "page" numbering might take a little getting used to as well.

Given the choice, I'd still download lrf over epub because I think it looks nicer, but I'm not going to let the file format prevent me from reading content.
kwjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
The lack of quotation marks is the authors style and has nothing to do with ePub. I have the ePub and LRX version of this book and both show quotes the same way.

I agree the page numbering takes a little getting used to.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 02:53 PM   #3
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwjones View Post
So I decided to give the epub format a 2nd chance by downloading and reading Already Dead by Charlie Huston, which is currently free from Sony.

The spaces between paragraphs and lack of quotation marks in dialog is annoying, but it might just be this book. The "page" numbering might take a little getting used to as well.
Uh oh. This does not bode well for my Grand Experiment.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #4
kwjones
Groupie
kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.kwjones once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I think I need to look at more than one or two epubs. Like grooks said, the quotation marks are probably just this author's style. The spaces between paragraphs could just be the formating on this particular book.

The page numbering may not be as big of an issue as I am stating. I rarely look to see what "page" I'm on. Usually it's only when I turn the device on or off to make a mental note of how much I have left to read and to figure out what I'm going to read next.

I really haven't noticed the little numbers on the right margin that much. It's small and faint, but just enough of a distraction to catch my eye, long enough for me to remember it's not part of the text. I'm sure my brain will ignore it entirely after a few hours. After all, it did take me a few days just to get used to reading anything on the device itself. Now I don't even think about it.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #5
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

For anyone who wants to read Already Dead by Charlie Huston.

Instead of using quotes, the author starts each line with a -- This signifies that a person is speaking. Also this particular book does not have chapters. The book is one long chapter with no real continuity breaks. The author also uses first person story-telling exclusively.
Advert
Old 12-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #6
kwjones
Groupie

The story is great so far. I can see myself reading the entire series.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:27 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Now I recall this author. I read The Mystic Arts of Erasing All Signs of Death, which was also a freebie. The story was good and it did take me a while to deal with his special format style. Sometimes I would get confused as to who was speaking but i still enjoyed the story.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2009, 03:31 PM   #8
grooks
Wizard

I'm almost done and like his writing. I had previously read his Hank Thompson series: Caught Stealing, Six Bad Things and A Dangerous Man. I will probably read the rest of this series (5 books in total).
Old 12-31-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
stabile007
stabile007 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, Kindle 3
yeah the page numbering is wierd for me and I feel like ePub books use up more of the screen if that makes sense. Taking some getting used to. I just wish the page numbers would line up right but I guess that is more of a publishers issue then a sony reader issue.
stabile007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:00 AM   #10
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I've built a number of epubs and, except for the lack of text justification (Sony issue), they look identical to the same lrf formatted file I made. It's all down to how its authored. That little page number on the right is wholly unnecessary and I hope they drop it though.

I like epub's nested table of contents. I've started using that more now for collections. I do find that epubs at least on the Sony spread formatting time over the course of the ebook (due to it being broken into pieces). So things like font size changes are very fast but jumping across file splits causes a delay.

Overall I'm more happy with lrf but I concede that to be more future proof and less time rebuilding books for another eReader I may buy, epub is an acceptable format for me.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
kwjones
Groupie

Ok. A few questions. The epub I read was "176 pages". Around "page" 100, it started formating every time I clicked to the next page and I don't know why. Is this normal or is it just this book having problems? By the time I click forward and bring my eyes up to the top of the screen, I'm still waiting close to 2 seconds for the page to finish formating.
Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 AM   #12
pepak
Guru
pepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura aboutpepak has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T3, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyche View Post
I've built a number of epubs and, except for the lack of text justification (Sony issue), they look identical to the same lrf formatted file I made. It's all down to how its authored.
Not all. EPUB implementation supports a lot of features that are not present and at best simulated in LRF - e.g. underline, italics, bold, borders...
pepak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:36 AM   #13
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Not all. EPUB implementation supports a lot of features that are not present and at best simulated in LRF - e.g. underline, italics, bold, borders...
I'm talking about lrf->epub. In this regard, I'm learning to accept epub since I can pretty well make it look the same. However, you're right that epub has a lot more it can offer and I've just started using some of these features.

That's epubs real hook for me. Eventually, I will be good enough to make an epub look better than what I can do in lrf.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:39 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepak View Post
Actually, using the default ADE fonts, bold & italic are simulated. It's fixed if you embed a full font family.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:49 AM   #15
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by stabile007 View Post
yeah the page numbering is wierd for me and I feel like ePub books use up more of the screen if that makes sense. Taking some getting used to. I just wish the page numbers would line up right but I guess that is more of a publishers issue then a sony reader issue.
The ePub standard calls for a "marker" every 1000 words or so. It was done like that to avoid the problems created by different screen sizes and our ability to change font sizes. User changes like that make the book reader reformat the same text for every person. They wanted some way for everyone to be able to reference the same spot in the text.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote