Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-07-2009, 02:38 PM   #1
Ocean
Banned
Ocean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enoughOcean will become famous soon enough

Device: Proud G1 Kindle Owner
Nook Consensus: It's Kindle 2.5 or 3.0

Doesn't it seem like all the reviewers are saying that it's an evolutionary (as opposed to revolutionary) descendant of the Kindle...and not the "Next Great Thing"?

Businessweek: "Once you actually get the Nook up and running, it's remarkably similar to its Amazon competitor."
Ocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 02:43 PM   #2
etienne66
Groupie
etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.etienne66 knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Kindle 2, PRS-600 Black, PRS-650 Red, Adam w/ Pixel Qi(pre-ordered)
Now this is something I definitely agree with. But I'm still not interested in upgrading to it. It doesn't meet my needs, but neither does the Kindle 2 I already own.

Etienne66
etienne66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 03:48 PM   #3
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I like the Nook's ePub support, and I like the concept of "lending" books even if their implementation sucks. I hope it does well, if only to put pressure on Amazon to start supporting ePub and improve PDF support.

However, I'll stick to the Kindle DX (love it) and to Amazon's lower priced books.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #4
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I like the Nook's ePub support, and I like the concept of "lending" books even if their implementation sucks. I hope it does well, if only to put pressure on Amazon to start supporting ePub and improve PDF support.

However, I'll stick to the Kindle DX (love it) and to Amazon's lower priced books.
I do hope it does well, for the exact reason you quote, Daithi. BN is working on their ebook prices, according to a couple of other quotes in threads this morning. So that could really heat things up in the competition area too.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post

yeah, but I am not goingto consider that an option until the one time only thing is fixed. there are a couple of books that I think I have probably spent a several hundred dollars on because of loaning them out and not getting them back and they are that important to me to always have. I have the books in question in pbook form and whenever I find them I am getting them in ebook form as well now
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
It's remarkably similar because they had the benefit of analysing the Kindle and Sony devices, taking many of their good features and skipping the bad stuff!

I was so very tempted to buy a nook but I am waiting for Kindle 3, which will hopefully be out before Feb 2010 (1 year after Kindle 2).

I have to say though, if the nook had 'real' lending of books (lending a single book unlimited times) I would have gone with it. With books we have a culture of reading/recommending/lending. So we find something great, discuss it with friends and lend it to them. It's been that way for 100 years, so for the e-book manufacturers to take that right away is a huge step backwards. I want to be able to lend a book to as many people as possible, with a 'lock' on it, so it can only be opened in one location at a time, like a physical book, to stop wholesale piracy concerns.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
purl4peace
Mommy of Many Interests
purl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enoughpurl4peace will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle DX, Sony PRS-505, Cybook Gen3
@fugazied

Just curious -- has Amazon announced plans for a Kindle 3 or is your anticipation based on Amazon's device release history.

Just wondering if I had missed an announcement with regards to the Kindle since I haven't been hanging around as much.

Thanks in advance...
purl4peace is offline   Reply With Quote