Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-31-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Suggestion: export to LaTeX

I was trying to find a way to convert (X)HTML+CSS to LaTeX, and couldn't find anything... so I wonder if it could be possible to add LaTeX export functionality to calibre, since it can already read, manage, flatten, etc. (X)HTML+CSS.

The idea is to make it easier to generate good-looking PDFs from other ebook formats, using LaTeX's typographic strengths. Using other features of LaTeX, like cross-referencing, sectioning commands, etc. would be secondary, the primary goal I have in mind is replicating (more or less) the look of the page. This means I would rather translate <h1>Title</h1> as {\Huge\textbf{Title}}, and not as \chapter{Title}.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 11:23 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre already has a PDF output plugin. Is that not suitable for your needs?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Actually, I haven't tried it, but I assume it uses some kind of standard HTML renderer to build the PDF pages, right?

I was after a way to calm down typography zealots (and I'm sometimes one of them), so either exporting to LaTeX or using advanced features (good h&j algorithm, ligatures, character protrusion...) would be needed. In other words, while we wait for better typography being implemented in reading software, I thought I could try using LaTeX to convert other ebook formats to PDF as an alternative to distributing the pre-made PDFs.
Old 08-31-2009, 02:51 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ah, I see. Frankly, typography zealots aren't important enough to me But I'm always willing to help someone get started on something like this.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:11 PM   #5
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Ah, I see. Frankly, typography zealots aren't important enough to me But I'm always willing to help someone get started on something like this.
Don't worry... most typography zealots I've spoken to are not users of Calibre.

Good luck, Jellby... though I am not clear I understand what you are trying to do... ePub --> LaTeX conversion, or something as such?

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-31-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Don't worry... most typography zealots I've spoken to are not users of Calibre.
Worried, me? Never. I have a special place in my heart for all the typography zealots, directory structure fanatics, toolkit tyrants, my way or the highwayers...
Old 08-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahi View Post
Good luck, Jellby... though I am not clear I understand what you are trying to do... ePub --> LaTeX conversion, or something as such?
Yes, something like that, but using LaTeX only as means to get a PDF (i.e., I don't expect nicely structured .tex files).

I mentioned that in another thread, I was thinking of using LaTeX's typographic abilities for rendering ePUB. One would distribute ePUBs and the users who want to can get a good quality PDF customized for his screen size and font preferences. Actually, something like what Feedbooks does.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:46 PM   #8
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
What would be needed? I don't think I can develop a python plugin, but if it's editing a template or something like that (like calibre translations) I can try something.
Old 08-31-2009, 03:56 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
What would be needed? I don't think I can develop a python plugin, but if it's editing a template or something like that (like calibre translations) I can try something.
I'm afraid it does require python code. Basically all that's needed is to run through the HTML and output corresponding LaTeX (calibre will already have taken care of parsing/flattening the CSS).
Old 08-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
The PDF output leaves a lot to be desired. (I don't want to use it, so don't fix it on my account.)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:42 PM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The PDF output leaves a lot to be desired. (I don't want to use it, so don't fix it on my account.)
I don't use it either but I do want to fix it. Could you open a ticket with your qualms for me? Oh, and I already know the TOC and links do not work.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote