Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2009, 06:51 AM   #1
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
epub reflow problem with 0.6.7

I have a strange problem but right now I don't know what causes it.

As for my specifications: My reading device is the Bebook with the newest beta firmware (in this one, ADE is included for epub).

At first, I downloaded an english ebook in lit format and converted it into epub. This one looks nice.

But then I tried 2 different german html files and converted them to epub. Now, both have the same problem: Most lines look fine, but on almost every page there are like 1-5 lines that are cut off by the screen. Half a word or even 1 or 2 entire words are missing (cut off). And just to give some more details: On one of them books, there is this problem on the first 2 pages, then the next 3 or 4 pages look perfect, then the reflow problem reappears.

Calibre input and output is set to Hanlin V3 and it's clones. Also I set the font size to 20.

In the html files, there are almost no styles. Only basic ones like <center> or <h2>, but nothing with <Div> or stuff like that.

So do you think this is caused by Calibre, or does it more sound like a problem with the beta firmware of the Bebook ?

Help me please
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 07:04 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Check and see if the original source is using pre tags. if so, convert them to div tags.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2009, 07:10 AM   #3
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Check and see if the original source is using pre tags. if so, convert them to div tags.
I don't know much about pre tags, but according to google, pre tags mean <pre> .... </pre> - none of this are inclduded in the source html files.

If anyone wants to take a look at this html files (or the epub files), just let me know, and I will sent them to you.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:51 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
This is almost certainly because your input files contain some non reflowable markup ike <table> or <pre>
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
NASCARaddicted
Addict

yeah, it really seems like that.

I remembered, on my laptop I had an older version (0.6.3) of Calibre, and with this one, I converted another html file - this one had no problems with the reflow.

So I took a very long look at the source html files. I am still not finished with all the html files, but in one case it seems like this:

In the proper ebook, a chapter ends with a <br/>. Then in the next line, the next chapter starts with <h2> for the chapter headline.

In the wrong ebook, this was not the case. I changed that (after I tried many other things before) and I think it now is correct. Also I noticed that sometimes the tag <br> was used and sometimes there was <br/>. Since the proper ebook also uses <br/> I changed all br tags to this version.

I still have another html -> epub with problems, but I am still working on it. I keep you updated.
Advert
Old 08-16-2009, 08:55 AM   #6
NASCARaddicted
Addict

Finally I also got the other html file fixed ... after I stripped it down to about 2 or 3 lines.

In this case, a chapter started with <p>. I once saw something that you also have to use </p> at the end ... there was no </p> so I added it - but still, it didn't work.

So after that I removed both the <p> and the </p> and now it worked. I tried another html file that had reflow problems. I removed all <p> and </p> and the reflow problem was gone.

I really don't understand how such a basic command can cause this trouble.
Old 08-17-2009, 01:09 AM   #7
slantybard
my parent's oops...
slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slantybard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Vx->Handera->Clie-> Axim->505->650->KPW/Aura ->L2->iOS/CBW
Perhaps you should set your input to "default" as well. That may be another factor.
slantybard is offline   Reply With Quote