Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 07-20-2009, 03:19 PM   #1
Cinnabar
Cinnabar began at the beginning.

Device: EZ Reader
What's Wrong with this Picture?

So the EZ Reader arrived (yay!), and I've been loading it up ever since. One thing I haven't been able to do, though, is get it to display Russian text.

Here's what I did:
Downloaded a text from lib.ru, and saved it in rtf format. Verified that I can read it (in a web browser, and in TextEdit), and that the font is Times New Roman.

Loaded Times New Roman onto the EZ Reader SD card and changed fonts to it (what genius made a sans serif font the default?!).

Tried to load the text, and saw nothing but squiggles (not question marks, looks like random punctuation with the occasional letter.

Looked at it again on the computer, and verified that it's fine there.

What did I leave out or do wrong in that series of steps? Or what are the steps that someone here has taken to successfully display Russain text on the EZ Reader?

Thanks!
Cinnabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:00 PM   #2
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Here's the EZ reader page on our wiki:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/EZ_Reader

I'm no expert on the EZ Reader, but it occurs to me that you might try installing a Cyrillic font and see whether that solves the problem.
And if all else fails then try the PDF format.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 06:14 PM   #3
Cinnabar

The Times New Roman font I'm using is supposed to support Cyrillic, which is why I'm baffled. I can read it on my computer, and the font it claims to be on the computer is the font I installed in the EZ Reader. (I'd really, really like to avoid pdfs if possible.)
Old 07-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
Or what are the steps that someone here has taken to successfully display Russain text on the EZ Reader?
I don't read Russian, but you could try the latest Lbook beta firmware. This is the one with Adobe Digital Editions support. Probably any Lbook firmware should be good for Russian ebooks, although the EZ Reader is supposed to be ok too. I don't know if this is an issue with RTF or something else. I would also try reading with a default font as well as with Times. If it works with the standard font, then the problem is with the Times font (or how it is imported onto the Hanlin).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 06:47 PM   #5
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I believe that Times Roman does include Cyrillic symbols but only as "symbols", i.e. ASCII codes above 128. A Cyrillic font should have the Cyrillic alphabet in the first 128 characters and that should show up on the EZ Reader. This is just an opinion so please take it with a grain of salt.

Since the LBook is sold in Russia, Wallcraft probably is correct that it would come with Cyrillic support. Other than that, try EZ Reader's support. I hear they are very responsive to questions.

Last edited by slayda; 07-20-2009 at 06:49 PM.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-20-2009, 08:08 PM   #6
deltame
deltame began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, EZ Reader
My EZ Reader came with built-in support for many foreign languages: language is set via Option #6 (settings), #2 (language), then select the language, e.g., #4 is for Russian. Not sure if it's specific to certain language, but I've also found that I need use the default font (simsun.ttf) to display my foreign text properly.

[edit] In the default English language, the default system font came with my device is named IBOOKN.ttf. Sorry, I now believe simsun.ttf is a designated system font as a result of my selection of the particular foreign language. Therefore, my interpretation is that the device may adjust its system font for a given language, and you only need select the font that's designated as "system font".

Last edited by deltame; 07-21-2009 at 08:11 AM.
deltame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:22 AM   #7
Cinnabar

What a battle it was! But I won it at last. I finally saved my Russian file in every format known to humanity, and found that cyrillic type could be read in html format, or in Word97 .doc format, and in no other way. Using the Times New Roman font.

(deltame: my version of the EZ Reader doesn't come with the simsun.ttf font -- I found and downloaded it, and an rtf document shows the same garbage as Times New Roman. I'm too tired to try it on the html document, maybe it would work that way. Not bad-looking font, though -- the sans serif font my Reader came with isn't ugly, but it's not easy on the eyes for long-term reading.)

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions!
Old 07-21-2009, 07:57 AM   #8
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
What happens if you change the interface language of the device to Russian, and then load a Russian ebook? (or did you do that already)
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 AM   #9
Cinnabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
What happens if you change the interface language of the device to Russian, and then load a Russian ebook? (or did you do that already)
(I should have said "every format known to humanity that a word processor can produce -- I don't have software to create ebooks, so I haven't tested those variants.)

Changing the language doesn't affect whether the ebook can be correctly displayed, the result was the same either way. If the format is .doc or .html (both extensions, .html and .htm, work), the Russian text displays, otherwise not.

Also, I've since tried with both simsun.ttf and IBookN.ttf, and they can both display cyrillic in .doc or .html documents.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:35 AM   #10
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinnabar View Post
Changing the language doesn't affect whether the ebook can be correctly displayed, the result was the same either way. If the format is .doc or .html (both extensions, .html and .htm, work), the Russian text displays, otherwise not.
I see. I'm just asking because I seem to remember a similar problem in the past where someone wasn't able to get the device to display chinese characters. However, if he changed the interface language to chinese, it did work.
AlfonsVH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 12:12 AM   #11
Cinnabar

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfonsVH View Post
Update: if you load a Russian ebook in .txt format, but only in the built-in storage, and change the language to Russian, you can then read the Russian text. (Pity that little detail about using the built-in storage wasn't mentioned -- or at least, not where I could find it.)