Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 07-19-2009, 12:21 PM   #1
annhars
annhars began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Hello! New and eager to buy a reader!

Hello everyone.
I've been reading mobipocket ebooks in my small HP ipaq4700 for some years but since it crushed I've been considering to buy a ebook reader instead (I've never used it as a pocket pc eventually anyway).
I'm looking for a cheaper solution, so I'm between Bookeen Cybook Opus (when it arrives) and Cool-er.
I'm also interested in a reader with good pdf pictures resolution (I am a radiologist and I need to have many pdf medical articles with me everyday in my work).
Thank you for any information.
annhars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Opus would probably be the better choice in that you will have the option with that of choosing to use a firmware version which would allow you to carry on reading your existing MobiPocket books (there will be a choice of firmware versions - one supporting MobiPocket; the other Adobe ADE).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Welcome to MobileRead Annhars.

A good place to compare eBook readers is the E-book_Reader_Matrix in the MobileRead wiki.

Some eBook readers are capable of displaying PDF but due to the size of some screens and reflow capabilities, some are better suited to text books and periodicals than others.

WetDogEared
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi annhars and welcome to MobileRead. Where are you located and what do you like to read?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 02:35 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Opus would probably be the better choice in that you will have the option with that of choosing to use a firmware version which would allow you to carry on reading your existing MobiPocket books (there will be a choice of firmware versions - one supporting MobiPocket; the other Adobe ADE).
To be honest, Mobipocket's days are numbered. Most vendors are supporting ePub.

Better off to get a reader with a 6" screen instead of a smaller 5" screen. And get one that supports ePub with and without DRM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2009, 06:18 PM   #6
annhars
annhars began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Opus
Thanks everyone for your quick replies!
I live in Greece and the only ebook reader you can find in electronic stores is the BEBOOK.
So I'm depending on opinions such as yours and on reviews for my final selection.
I mostly read science-fiction and fantasy, as well as medical journals (pdf format with lots of pictures exclusively) for my work and I was hoping for a device to read easily both.
annhars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If science-fiction and fantasy are your things, be sure and check out all the free books here on MR. Also check out Baen for lots of free books here http://www.baen.com/library/
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 10:23 AM   #8
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello annhars, and Click image for larger version

Name:	mat with newspaper.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	5.0 KB
ID:	32657 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 01:26 PM   #9
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Annhars!

No matter which reader you decide to purchase, I am sure you will love having a dedicated reader. I love my Sony (and still love my ebw1150, although I don't use it as much as I used to) and don't know what I would do with out it. Enjoy!

Happy reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote