Evolution 30 58.82%
Human Evolution 26 50.98%
Creationism 6 11.76%
The Blue One next to the Fish 23 45.10%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-13-2009, 03:31 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My 1000th Post: A Poll — Do You Believe In...

This being my thousanth post, so I thought it only appropriate that it be a poll. What what could make a better poll topic than beliefs?

Multiple Choice. Try not to select self-contradictory items, unless your beliefs are self-contradictory!

For the purposes of this post:
Belief the conviction that something is very likely to be true. You don't need 100% certainty. 99% (or even 98%) will do.

Theism The belief that a supernatural intelligence created or controls the Universe and has interacted with humans within the past 10,000 years. (Or more than one.)
Deism As Theism, but without the interaction.
Atheism The belief that god(s) do not exist.
Life after Death The survival of the essence of a person ('soul') in a form that can still experience events, as a natural event.
Heaven A place of reward for good 'souls'
Hell A place of punishment for bad 'souls'
Reincarnation The re-birth of a 'soul' in a baby, such that at some point (perhaps between lives) the 'soul' remembers old lives.
Ghosts The 'souls' of dead people interacting with the world
Spiritualism The belief that the living can talk with the 'souls' of the dead.
Astrology The belief that the position of the planets in the solar system at the time of your birth, combined with the location of your birth, have some bearing on your subsequent life.
Alien Visitations The belief that beings from another planet (in our solar system or another) have visited the Earth in the past 100 years and made crop circles, or abducted people, or otherwise physically interacted with us.
Miracles The belief that god(s) or other supernatural powers interact with the world and cause physical changes that otherwise would not have happened.
Evolution The belief that different species have common ancestors, e.g. that horses and donkeys are both descended from a single species.
Human Evolution The belief that Humans and (say) Gorillas have a common ancestor. That one of your Greatx300,000 Grandfathers is the same individual creature as some Gorilla's GreatxN Grandfather.
Creationism The belief that the world was created within the last 10,000 years.
The Blue One next to the Fish I'm sure this requires no explanation.

Also, for the purposes of this poll, belief in a belief does not mean "Do you believe some people hold this belief" or "Do you believe there is such a belief" but should be read as "Do you share this belief". So, for example, if you are an atheist, you should not answer "yes" to the question "Do you believe in Theism", even though you do believe that Theism as a belief exists.

Last edited by pdurrant; 06-13-2009 at 05:26 PM. Reason: Sparrow and typos
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:34 PM   #2
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
Now I wonder? what made you think of this subject

You missed agnostic!
Parallel universes!

Last edited by columbus; 06-13-2009 at 03:37 PM.
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 03:45 PM   #3
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I'm a pedant, and when I see 'Do you believe in Theism' - I should answer 'Yes', because I do believe Theism exists; but I don't subscribe to what Theists do, so I feel I should be answering 'No', but then it feels like I'm fibbing because I'm denying the existence of Theism.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Odd that at the time I write this, evolution has 2 votes, and human evolution has 4 votes.

That is a head scratcher...
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 03:56 PM   #5
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
I'm a pedant, and when I see 'Do you believe in Theism' - I should answer 'Yes', because I do believe Theism exists; but I don't subscribe to what Theists do, so I feel I should be answering 'No', but then it feels like I'm fibbing because I'm denying the existence of Theism.
Which reminds me of a signature I saw on an e-mail once: "Do I believe in the bible? Of course! I've even seen one!"
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-13-2009, 04:21 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Great poll.

I really had to pick "the blue one next to the fish"

You know, the older you get, the more you realize you don't know WHAT to believe.

All the above have their strong points......but we won't know the answers until we die.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #7
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
I believe in evolution, in general and human. And I believe in reincarnation.

And DG, if you believe that, you must believe in an after-life. How else can you know something when you're dead!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Now there's a truism!

I also "caught" myself, before fibbing, and voted for Thesim, but needed to follow my rational side and voted for Evolution as well.

Now my brain hurts, from being pulled from side to side.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #9
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
Odd that at the time I write this, evolution has 2 votes, and human evolution has 4 votes.

That is a head scratcher...
And now a hidden puzzle, as (as I write) evolution has caught up, 10 and 10.

And how have we managed to get (so far) only one person who believes in life after death, but two that believe in reincarnation — which I would have definitely counted as life after death.

It is interesting to see what shows up. Thanks to all who've participated so far!
Old 06-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #10
Who are you?
Groupie
Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Who are you? ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 505
Reincarnation is as much life after death as being wormfood and continuing as worms. Without your memories and experience a new life is just that, it is not really a continuation as life after death implies.
Who are you? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:17 PM   #11
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
I ended up voting for the two evolution ones, and the blue one next to the fish.

I debated voting for life after death, but that suggested some form of continuation of my conciousness, and my remains feeding the various forms of life in a wood doesn't have to involve that.
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #12
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Addressed in the definitions in the first post. For the purposes of this poll, reincarnation is

"The re-birth of a 'soul' in a baby, such that at some point (perhaps between lives) the 'soul' remembers old lives."

In other words, if you can never remember more than one life, it doesn't count as reincarnation for this poll.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who are you? View Post
Reincarnation is as much life after death as being wormfood and continuing as worms. Without your memories and experience a new life is just that, it is not really a continuation as life after death implies.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:24 PM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

I'm delighted (and rather surprised) to see that the winner of the "last option without a vote" prize is Astrology.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #14
jinlo
aka coco jinlo
jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jinlo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just purchased Sony 505, but alas, it is for the wife
I thought I might explain why I voted for heaven and not hell. I also voted for reincarnation. I do not believe in an everlasting punishment, but I do believe you might have to come back and try again.

There's a movie with Albert Brooks that's pretty funny that touches on that, it's called Defending Your Life.

As for the Creationism vote, I really don't believe the world was created less than 10,000 years ago, but that's not my definition of Creationism. I must admit I didn't see that particular description until after I voted. I believe the world was created much longer ago than that, but I still believe it was created.
jinlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 06:37 PM   #15
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
I love the way more people believe in heaven than hell
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote