Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 05-28-2009, 03:38 PM   #1
Kilgore Trout
Kilgore Trout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Arrow Howdy, Ya'll!

I'm from Austin TX (where else?) with that opening line. I am an author, blogger, and sociopolitical commentator. My Tiddlerosis blog is dedicated to the small motorcycles and scooters built from 1955 to 1975, but some modern tiddlers are covered, too. My general author and commentary blog is Nonfiction in a Fictional Style. I am the founder and editor of POD Book Reviews & More, also known as PODBRAM.

Although my books are available for various e-book formats at Smashwords, my main interest is in the Kindle format. You may notice on the Smashwords link that one of my books is missing. That is because I am currently working on a new version of Ker-Splash: Recreational Power Boaters Guide to be released in about a month. The original version of this Consumer Reports for boat buyers is still available in the Kindle format only at this time. The Kindle link also shows the books by Dr. Al Past, who is a book reviewer at PODBRAM. His books have been particularly popular in the Kindle format.

I hope to meet many of you from around the world. Come visit us at PODBRAM, NIAFS, or Tiddlerosis to learn a lot more about publishing, political commentary, or tiny little motorcycles from the past!
Kilgore Trout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, Kilgore. I take it you are also a Kurt Vonnegut fan?

Enjoy the forums, and check out the free books we have here for you K. You will want the mobipocket (.prc) format.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 04:24 PM   #3
Kilgore Trout

You're right on the money! Cat's Cradle is my favorite by far. I am also a big fan of Anne Rice, Paul Krugman, Al Franken, Jim Hightower, and many others.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:42 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
You're right on the money! Cat's Cradle is my favorite by far. I am also a big fan of Anne Rice, Paul Krugman, Al Franken, Jim Hightower, and many others.
Loved the earlier Anne Rice books.......then she got too strange even for me.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Kilgore and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #6
Kilgore Trout

Desert Grandma, which Anne Rice Books have you read that you liked, and which ones did you find too strange? I have read them all, my favorites twice. My favorites, in descending order with the release order in parentheses are: Queen of the Damned (7), The Vampire Lestat (4), The Witching Hour (11), Memnoch the Devil (18), and Blood Canticle (27).
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Desert Grandma, which Anne Rice Books have you read that you liked, and which ones did you find too strange? I have read them all, my favorites twice. My favorites, in descending order with the release order in parentheses are: Queen of the Damned (7), The Vampire Lestat (4), The Witching Hour (11), Memnoch the Devil (18), and Blood Canticle (27).
Well, carp. You just made me re-think my statement. Went to fantastic fiction (link below) to see which ones I hated.

I loved all the Vampire Chronicles, the Lestats, etc.

Didn't care so much for the Mayfair Witches.....haven't read the Sleeping Beauty ones. Won't even start the Christ the Lord series.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/r/anne-rice/
Old 05-28-2009, 06:22 PM   #8
Kilgore Trout

You see? We agree more than you thought. I don't really count the Sleeping Beauty books as having much significance. I waded through one, and that was enough for me. I have no interest in the Christ the Lord series, either. I told a little fib for brevity when I said I had read them all: that did not include those two series. I am sure you are aware that she grew up in New Orleans, met her hubby of many years in Texas, and then they moved to the Bay Area for his university work. She wrote Interview and the other early Vampire Chronicles while there. The family retired to her old home city, where they restored and moved into the house described in The Witching Hour. Stan died a few years ago and she moved back to CA, I suspect to leave many sad family memories behind, and this is when she began that last series. Her son is now a novelist, too. I like the Mayfair witches more than you do, but there is no doubt that her real glory comes from the best of The Vampire Chronicles. Check out some of those other subjects, too. Cry to Heaven is a lot better than you would think, certainly the best of the miscellaneous series.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:53 PM   #9
Kilgore Trout

A clarification: I do not include Anne Rice's The Mummy in the miscellaneous series because I think of it as a first cousin to both the vampire and witch series, of which it is very similar in tone and plot line. I rate it very highly, too. It's one of the ones I have read twice.
Old 05-28-2009, 06:57 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
You see? We agree more than you thought.
You will find, if you stick around, you will have much in common with many of us.

enjoy the forums.

Tags
american pop culture, classic corvette, pod publishing, political commentary